G37 Sedan

How to remove duct tape residue from leather seat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:12 PM
rabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe nobody's said it yet so here you go....

wtf is wrong with your "friend" is she crazy????
Old 09-14-2011, 11:55 PM
sammy917

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 ^ and a more primitive approach, orange peel seems to work well. don't know if it'll work for duct tape, but it worked for paint on my driver's seat and it didn't smell to bad either..
Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Soliditude

Why not just use simple rubbing alcohol? Wipe the residue away with a cotton ball and then wipe the seat dry with a paper towel. Regardless, you've probably gotten rid of the issue by now, so that bring me to the question asked earlier: Why in the world did your friend put duct tape on your seat? Prank, joke?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:04 AM
Rickyay

Originally Posted by alex
Over the weekend, a friend of mine put a duct tape on my passenger front seat. It was a hot day, and the duct tape itself got soft. She didn't know that I try to keep my car clean.

Now, as a result, the duct tape residue stays there! It looks and feels like glue, grey, on my black leather seat :-(

Any advice on how to remove it from the leather?
Thank you!
Gently rub some peanut butter onto the affected area. Keep rubbing until you can see it come off, apply more and repeat if needed. My brother did an experiment on this and he was able to remove the sticky residue left on a plastic bottle after you remove the sticker/label. If you do it, let me know how it works, i know it works on other sticker residues but idk how it would work on duct tape residue. Couldn't hurt trying anyways.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Take a look at Optimum Power Clean. It can be diluted to 3:1 and is perfectly safe on leather (although I wouldnt let it sit there for extended periods)

Spray some on directly, let it dwell for a few seconds then scrub with a brush or terry towel. Come back with some water (spritzed on or using a damp towel) to make sure you get all the remaining stuff off.

Its an all purpose cleaner that is actually paint safe as well so you can use it for a ton of other things too. Very handy to have around.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 AM
cy7878

Originally Posted by Rickyay
Gently rub some peanut butter onto the affected area. Keep rubbing until you can see it come off, apply more and repeat if needed. My brother did an experiment on this and he was able to remove the sticky residue left on a plastic bottle after you remove the sticker/label. If you do it, let me know how it works, i know it works on other sticker residues but idk how it would work on duct tape residue. Couldn't hurt trying anyways.
The thought of rubbing peanut better on perforated leather and have it never to come out.....
Old 09-15-2011, 12:06 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I read the title of this thread I had envisioned the post to be more like:

Hi guys, how do I remove duct tape residue and blood stain from my seats? I have some left over chloroform, would that work? <3
Old 09-15-2011, 12:34 PM
alex

Hi, guys, your inputs are very helpful. Thank you very much!

by the way, my friend wasn't crazy. It was because some hater from San Francisco:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...francisco.html

If you look at the aftermath photos, you will understand why i have duct tape residue on exterior door panel--we had to use duct tape to hold the mirror in place. She helped out too and kept the duct tape on the front seat carpet afterwards. She got a little on her seat when she was handling it. I don't blame her at all, instead, i appreciate her helping spirit.

Last edited by alex; 09-15-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:14 AM
rabbit

haha ok that makes sense - at first it sounded like she intentionally put duct tape on your seat just for fun.... like Hey, there's duct tape on your seat HA HA!

Also, sorry for your loss (mirror).