Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 Sedan Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 PM
BuzzLY37

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Picking up a set on Tuesday, hopefully I'll just figure out lol.
Can't believe dealerships charge $200 for installation!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:08 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BuzzLY37
Picking up a set on Tuesday, hopefully I'll just figure out lol.
Can't believe dealerships charge $200 for installation!
That's why I'm installing them myself. I have better uses for $200 than give it to the dealership for something I can do.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 PM
BuzzLY37

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm never careful when comes to maneuvering small pieces, hopefully I won't snap anything
Old 07-29-2011, 06:23 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by firstinfiniti
^ You will. Also, all G37 Journey sedans come pre-wired, PERIOD....sport, non-sport, navi, non-navi, x, non-x.
Yes, it works... I missed that in my 09 manual...

Going about 65 on the highway, I pulled and held the left paddle and hit the gas. Car downshifted to 5th, "5" showed on the dash, and 1.5 seconds later it changed to a "D". It then upshifted normally to 6th and 7th while in D, as expected.

Cool feature!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:32 PM
gee wiz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
As for being pre-wired or not, I am only going on what folks say in the forums. Some have said they've looked and they are not, others have gone as far as saying that all are, or at least those with at least the Premium package. I would bet that if you're driving a Journey / Premium you are pre-wired. Maybe even so on just a plain Journey.

I can confirm the action of the paddles. When driving in D)rive, if you pull the left paddle, it will downshift and a numbered gear will display on the dashboard. If the tranny is in 7th (as it would be going 45 MPH or so on a flat road), it will drop to 5th gear. If you are in any other gear, it will drop one gear (unless the gear drop will result in a redline condition). This is all the same behavior as when pulling the stick back once while in DS mode.

When driving in D)rive, if you are driving steadily and not accelerating and you pull the right paddle to upshift, the gear you are in will display on the dash. For example, you're going 45 MPH on a flat road and you pull the right paddle, 7 will appear on the dash. However, if you are accelerating in D and pull the right shifter, it may upshift to the next higher gear if you're at a high enough RPM to do so. The number of the new gear will show on the dash, and it'll remain in that gear until you either shift up again, downshift with the left paddle, slow down enough for it to downshift automatically (still showing the numbered gear), or you drive steadily and it will revert back to D)rive.

In both cases, after the car "settles down" and you maintain a steady speed, the car will revert back to D)rive mode. This is different from using the stick shifter, where once you shift in DS mode, it remains in a numbered gear.

If you are in DS mode and you use the paddles, it will go into a numbered gear and will remain in a numbered gear until you shift the shifter to D)rive.

Likewise, if you are in DS mode and have already changed to a numbered gear with the shifter, using the paddles will shift gears but it will remain in a numbered gear and will not revert to D)rive.

Finally, if you are in D)rive and use the paddles and are now in a numbered gear, and before it has a chance to settle down and revert back to D)rive, you pop the shifter to DS mode, it will remain in a numbered gear.

Maybe this is where the guy was confused. But after typing all that I can see why!

In a nutshell, you have it correct.
Excellent and clear explanation! Paddles take a while to master, mainly in a sense that you need to remember that they are there if you don't use them regularly. When I get in a mood to use them they can be fun, but I find that I forget they are there half the time.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:29 AM
G37x Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,
Just joined the site and am a new owner of a 2011 G37x Sedan w/ Premium package. I am VERY interested in adding the paddle shifters as my last car had this option as well. Can anyone confirm if the 2011's come pre-wired? I spoke to my dealer about the parts needed and they came back with a laundry list including the wiring, etc. I'm pretty handy on installs but wanted to confirm first before ordering.

Also, can anyone let me know the exact kit I need for my car?

Thanks much!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:37 AM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
With the g35's, the base models were not prewired, but the journey models were. Not sure if it's the same with the 37's but it should be.

HTH
Old 07-31-2011, 03:20 AM
maxfinity

Originally Posted by san~man
With the g35's, the base models were not prewired, but the journey models were. Not sure if it's the same with the 37's but it should be.

HTH
Are you 100% sure on this because my friend has an 07 g35 journey w/premium package and wants to add the paddle shifters but he's not sure whether or not its pre wired
Old 07-31-2011, 02:01 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Of all the threads I've read on driver, only the bare bones base model guys weren't pre-wired
Old 07-31-2011, 03:56 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not seeing the G37 paddle shifter kits on eBay anymore...
Old 07-31-2011, 04:07 PM
salvador312

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just type "Infiniti paddle shifters" it should be the same paddles for the 2nd V36s
Old 07-31-2011, 04:49 PM
mikejg

I ordered a set from OC infiniti a few days ago.

Edit: NM just went to the site and they're not listed anymore.

More Edit: I emailed them about a question I had and they said the kit I ordered was the last one they had with no ETA on when they'd get more.

Last edited by mikejg; 08-01-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:04 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I'm not seeing the G37 paddle shifter kits on eBay anymore...
Maybe out of stock. I guess too many people ordered it.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hadokenuh: I'm with Ya man.....I just want Infiniti to Pay for It..My battle over the poor performance (lagging/hesitation) of the 7AT (that some here Love ...and I do Not) is with Infiniti Directly now. The District Manager and his Boss, both met me, drove my car which was behaving better that day, and admitted the existence of the quirkiness (his words), and hesitation of the 7AT. Too many gears with the inability to achieve the perfect balance of throttle mapping and the TCM response for the Right Gear. Anyway, I too think that the Paddles will help. better yet, I'm pursuing a Complete return of the car w/o any cost to me (it's a lease)... He said that "the engineers at Infiniti are working on a better fix....but no promises as to when, if at all"....Sorry for babbling, on the wrong Thread.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:51 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree that the paddles are fun at first .. and now I never use them.

I'm sure if I tracked the car on an S-track .. i'd use them all the time.

Quick Reply: G37 Sedan Paddle Shifters