G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 G37xs vs G37x

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:37 AM
BrianJC

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm also looking to purchase a 2012 G37x. I'm planning to purchase the Akebono bigger breaks so I'm just not seeing why I would wait to find one of the xS models. The xS seats, I had mixed reviews when driving. I could go either way. They seem really nice but I had no issues with the standard seats. My bigger question is, why would I go with the xS when I'm going to be replacing the breaks so quickly? From what I've seen it doesn't look like the X models come with the bigger breaks, even on the xS. So if you don't want the seats, paddles, allow wheels then you might as well get an x w/ Sport Appearance package which is the direction I'm headed unless someone can tell me that the suspension or steering or something makes more sense on the Sport model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianJC
I'm also looking to purchase a 2012 G37x. I'm planning to purchase the Akebono bigger breaks so I'm just not seeing why I would wait to find one of the xS models. The xS seats, I had mixed reviews when driving. I could go either way. They seem really nice but I had no issues with the standard seats. My bigger question is, why would I go with the xS when I'm going to be replacing the breaks so quickly? From what I've seen it doesn't look like the X models come with the bigger breaks, even on the xS. So if you don't want the seats, paddles, allow wheels then you might as well get an x w/ Sport Appearance package which is the direction I'm headed unless someone can tell me that the suspension or steering or something makes more sense on the Sport model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I was in the same scenario when I was looking to buy 18 months ago. I ended up getting a 2010 G37X and it's slowly becoming a Sport model.
  1. Akebonos can be added at a cost - keep browsing forums and eBay for calipers. I picked up a complete set for ~$400, powdercoated them, and rebuilt them with OEM parts. So far invested ~$460 for calipers.
  2. OEM Sport Bumpers appear on eBay with free shipping frequently. The swap is direct for anything 2010+, all you need are the grilles. PM me and I can supply you all the P/Ns you need. I invested ~$530 in parts and painting on the Sport front bumper - Installed myself to save cost.
  3. Paddles can be added with OEM parts. Source from InfinitiPartsUsa, DiscountInfinitiParts, dealer, or eBay. PM me and I can supply P/Ns for the swap. ~$200 invested.
  4. Lastly, I didn't like the feel of the sport seats, mostly because I'm a bigger guy. The back bolsters were what botherd me but I'm sure I'd like them more if I were a bit slimmer. Also can be added after the fact.

Adding up the costs, it might make sense just to buy the xS depending on price. I opted not to only because the deal that was presented to me on my 2010 X, I just couldn't turn it down.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:10 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Akebonos can be added at a cost - keep browsing forums and eBay for calipers. I picked up a complete set for ~$400, powdercoated them, and rebuilt them with OEM parts. So far invested ~$460 for calipers.

Paddles can be added with OEM parts. Source from InfinitiPartsUsa, DiscountInfinitiParts, dealer, or eBay. PM me and I can supply P/Ns for the swap. ~$200 invested.

If I could buy a set of Akebonos for $400 today, I'd have a set preparing for shipment today. Nice score.

What did you do for rotors?

Regarding the paddles...is $200 for just the paddles, or the whole kit? The kits are more like $450...which comes with everything you need (covers) except for a single screw.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
If I could buy a set of Akebonos for $400 today, I'd have a set preparing for shipment today. Nice score.

What did you do for rotors?

Regarding the paddles...is $200 for just the paddles, or the whole kit? The kits are more like $450...which comes with everything you need (covers) except for a single screw.
I knew I didn't want to spend the $1300 for the entire Akebono kit - I'm too cheap for that. I'd rather be resourceful and source everything separately, which is exactly what I did.
  • Rotors are Stoptech XDrilled 355mm/350mm - $350 shipped
  • Pads are Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads - $99 shipped
  • Still haven't determined what lines I want to use - I had a set of custom lines made from a local hydraulic hose company but not sure if I want to trust those, rather than an actual market product.

As for the paddle kit, I purchased the stone interior paddles as the cost for those is substantially lower than the black ones. Found that on eBay for under $100 and then it took me some time to figure out the correct P/N for the trim pieces with cutouts but I picked those up from InfinitiPartsUsa. Screws can be sourced from Home Depot - I picked up all new hardware just to make everything uniform. This is my most favorite mod as the 7AT is tragically terrible at shifting so I can downshift when I need to get moving quicker.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:50 PM
BrianJC

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the extra info and I'll keep all that in mind once I finally get my hands on my new ride.

Sounds like I'm on the right path. I'll keep an eye out for both the xS and x w/ Sport Appearance and just make the call when the numbers look right.

Looks like only the RWD models come with the bigger breaks and suspension upgrades so the xS isn't the one I need unless the price is right. They are so much harder to find. If I really wanted to part it together I could go without the Appearance but then I get into having to purchase all of the bumpers and paint to match, seems like a much bigger pain so I'm definitely leaning towards the Appearance package. Adding the breaks and extras I really care about seems like the easier route to go.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:29 AM
CRiME
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
^^

Your question is identical to the one asked by the OP in 2011, and it was answered in the second post of this thread.

Originally Posted by G37xs2011
what is the difference between both..i got the g37xs and today i saw a g37x which looked just like mine?
Originally Posted by ChrisBLKG
Sport Package (AWD)

•18 x 7.5-inch, split 5-spoke aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/50R18 V-rated all-season performance tires
•Sport front fascia, side sills and unique sport headlights
•Solid-magnesium paddle shifters
•12-way power driver's sport seat including manual thigh extension and driver's power torso and thigh side support adjustments; 8-way power front-passenger's sport seat with manual thigh extension
•Aluminum pedals and footrest

That's the main difference besides packages you have on your car.

2011 Infiniti G25, G37 Sedan | Specifications | Infiniti USA

Last edited by CRiME; 03-03-2015 at 04:50 AM.