Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 07:49 AM
IrishMike

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IrishMike
Getting mine updated today. Will let all know how it goes.
Happy Thanksgiving all!
First off, I have a 2010 G37x Sedan with 90k miles.
I had my my ECU updated yesterday at the dealer. My car is no longer under warranty so I had to pay. The cost was $140 as it was for 1 hour of labor. It should not cost anyone more than that as this was in Greenwich CT so I would assume the labor cost is as high as it could be.
I have only driven the car home from the dealer which is about 15 miles, but noticed a huge difference in response. I step on the gas and the car just goes. It no longer searches for gears when I hit the gas. I hope it remains like this and will send another update in a week or so. So far the update was definitely worth the money and I hope it stays that way.

-Mike
Old 11-27-2015, 10:30 AM
scottns
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sitting at the dealer now getting an oil change on my 2013 G37x. Asked them to check if there is an update for the transission and there is so they're installing it. Will follow up later with the results.
The following users liked this post:
skeener (11-30-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 02:21 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving all!
I had my my ECU updated yesterday at the dealer. My car is no longer under warranty so I had to pay. The cost was $140 as it was for 1 hour of labor. It should not cost anyone more than that as this was in Greenwich CT so I would assume the labor cost is as high as it could be.
I have only driven the car home from the dealer which is about 15 miles, but noticed a huge difference in response. I step on the gas and the car just goes. It no longer searches for gears when I hit the gas. I hope it remains like this and will send another update in a week or so. So far the update was definitely worth the money and I hope it stays that way.

-Mike
When you give it 20-30% more throttle than cruse did the engine sort of feel like it was missing (or small miss-fire) and the trans do nothing? Hopefully that is fixed now?
Old 11-27-2015, 02:25 PM
IrishMike

Originally Posted by m3clubracer
When you give it 20-30% more throttle than cruse did the engine sort of feel like it was missing (or small miss-fire) and the trans do nothing? Hopefully that is fixed now?
Yes, that's exactly how it felt before, but it feels MUCH better now. Now it just goes...
m3clubracer (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 08:27 AM
scottns
Registered Member

Originally Posted by scottns
Sitting at the dealer now getting an oil change on my 2013 G37x. Asked them to check if there is an update for the transission and there is so they're installing it. Will follow up later with the results.
So I think it's definitely shifting smoother. When you get on the gas the kick down in gears is not as abrupt. If I'm going slow (like 30 or under) and just cruising along and then hit the gas there seems to still be a delay but it's a smoother transition now.
skeener (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by scottns
So I think it's definitely shifting smoother. When you get on the gas the kick down in gears is not as abrupt. If I'm going slow (like 30 or under) and just cruising along and then hit the gas there seems to still be a delay but it's a smoother transition now.
What update did they apply to your 13'?
Old 11-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Michael440

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving all!

-Mike
Hi Mike,
When it comes to Greenwich you may be surprised but a lot of dealers there are not as expensive. I lived in Stamford for over 15 years, this week is my last here as I'm moving to Miami on Saturday. And as far as I know Greenwich BMW and Infinity is pretty inexpensive comparing to other places around Fairfield county. BMW in Darien is the worst, their prices just don't make sense while Greenwich is pretty decent. And so is infinity there.
It's just the stuff I noticed living in this area.
I think I will be buying 2013 infinity g37 RWD or Actua TL in FL haven't decided yet which.
IrishMike (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 06:20 PM
scottns
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kb Cool
What update did they apply to your 13'?
This is what the repair sheet said.

DTC P0710FLUID Temp Sensor. TSB APP
JX23AA Reprogram Transmission Control Module
354 WI 0.60
FC:
Part # 31039X628E
Old 11-30-2015, 10:04 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Until now, I was under the impression that the 2013 7AT was pretty much problem free/debugged. I personally have never had any issues with mine, but it looks like JX23AA is an op-code which led me to this technical service bulletin: http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB13-019a.pdf

From the document....

IF YOU CONFIRM:
The MIL is on with DTC P0710 (Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor A) stored in the ECM only.
NOTE: The DTC P0710 will only set in the ECM. If the DTC is set in both the ECM and TCM, this TSB does not apply. Refer to ASIST and the ESM for further diagnosis for DTC P0710.

So it appears that the bulletin does not apply if the DTC (code thrown for the trannie temp sensor ?) is set in both the ECM and TCM?

So it appears that your transmission fluid temp sensor went south and caused the poor shifting?
Old 12-01-2015, 02:24 AM
Kb Cool
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
Until now, I was under the impression that the 2013 7AT was pretty much problem free/debugged. I personally have never had any issues with mine, but it looks like JX23AA is an op-code which led me to this technical service bulletin: http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/ITB13-019a.pdf

From the document....

IF YOU CONFIRM:
The MIL is on with DTC P0710 (Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor A) stored in the ECM only.
NOTE: The DTC P0710 will only set in the ECM. If the DTC is set in both the ECM and TCM, this TSB does not apply. Refer to ASIST and the ESM for further diagnosis for DTC P0710.

So it appears that the bulletin does not apply if the DTC (code thrown for the trannie temp sensor ?) is set in both the ECM and TCM?

So it appears that your transmission fluid temp sensor went south and caused the poor shifting?
I agree! My 13's tranny is much better than my '10 was. I would never let them update it anyways. I'd be afraid they might break something or turn it into another '10.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 AM
scottns
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67

From the document....

IF YOU CONFIRM:

All they told me was there was an update and that they applied it. They made no mention of replacing anything.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Michael440

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kb Cool
I agree! My 13's tranny is much better than my '10 was. I would never let them update it anyways. I'd be afraid they might break something or turn it into another '10.
I doubt newest tranny update would make your '13 starts shifting like your old '10. But if you are happy I don't see point of doing update.
I've read some people get worst mpg after new tranny update but I'm not sure if there is any truth to that.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:59 AM
LPV36
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I got the update done a month ago and felt a difference immediately. The thumps and jerks disappeared and it now shifts smoothly through the gears. Although the overall performance of the transmission is still sub-par when compared to the old 5 speed in my 2006 G35. Anyway, I paid $147 since I am out of warranty. Its definitely worth considering if you want to get rid of the abruptness of this crap transmission. I have an 09 xS Sedan.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:10 PM
IrishMike

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell if your car has the update without going to dealer?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-07-2016, 08:12 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Unless you drive one with the update and drive one without it same way and it acts noticeably different...I drove a 13 and it was immediately noticeable. Once you get an update its night and day almost. Ask the dealer to only charge you .5 hours because that is all it takes. I got mine for ~$65.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram