Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:34 AM
maduko
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Reset!

Originally Posted by maduko
Should it require a reset after such an update?
Apparently the answer is YES!

Either that or my dealer didn't do it correctly. Cruising along a neighborhood street was almost painful- the 2/3 and 3/4 shifts were abrupt- not "hard" but it felt jerky, not smooth. Flicking into DS mode didn't help much. Sport worked great while flogging it but was funky at lower speeds.

I finally managed to reset the ECU (took several tries to get the light to blink rapidly) and it has greatly improved.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:01 PM
jrowles91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry if I'm asking the same questions as before however I feel this might be different. I'm feeling most of these symptoms outlined on the first page:

This reprogram will reduce the severity of engine braking during decel, reduce the severity of the 2>1 down shift, reduce the amount of flare during the 3>4 and the 4>5 upshift and reduce the shudder/vibration that some feel during light acceleration.

My question though is, there seems to be slipping between gear changes. Is this was the "flare" is that's being referenced? I've felt a similar slip when my Camaro trans was going out and needing replaced.

I'm taking the car to the dealer for it's first oil change and I'll be bringing this up. Any pointers would be appreciated!

2010 Sedan btw
Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 AM
bjmsam
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My 2010 G37xS was flashed to the latest revision about a year ago. The dealer also replaced the fluid. The difference was subtle IMHO. Two major gripes remain.

1. When initiating a pass on the highway with the accelerator not floored, the transmission downshifts either not enough gears (engine is not in power band) or too many gears (engine screaming near redline). As it is usually the latter behavior, I am now in the habit of manually upshifting just after hitting the pedal.

2. When coasting down a hill and initiating a manual downshift, especially from 4 to 3, there is a 1-2 second delay (it feels even longer) before the transmission abruptly slams into gear. It is so violent that I now avoid manual downshifts altogether, which defeats the purpose of having that option.

I just discovered this thread and will give this procedure a try with fingers crossed. Oh, how I wish Infiniti offered a 6MT for the AWD models of its "sport sedans..."
Old 07-28-2015, 04:54 PM
willguy

I just performed the update last week as the previous owner did not do it. Before I did the update, the transmission is actually not shifting harshly (I don't know how it was supposed to shift as i never driven a new one before) but the 2-3 is smoother than 3-4. 3-4 actually just felt like 1-2. When I took it in, the mechanic stated on the service form that he felt a little lagging but that might just be some random reason he put on there just to do the update. After the update was done, it actually not as smooth as before but the car felt more powerful. I did reset the ecu when I got back home just in case they did not do it. Is that normal and I shouldn't have do the update in the first place?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:39 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Can someone confirm that there are really no updates for the 2012 model.. Sometimes the car feels and shifts funny but all I read there are no updates.

Last edited by si_driver; 07-29-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:36 AM
JloG37s

Originally Posted by si_driver
Can someone confirm that there are really no updates for the 2012 model.. Sometimes the car feels and shift funny but all I read there are no updates.
I have a G37S sedan 12 too. And I feel you bro, sometimes I floor the car and it takes 2-3 sec to feel the power... The tranny is acting kinda lazy
Anyone with a 12+ experiencing the same ?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:41 AM
JloG37s

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Sometimes they will do it for free. Or they charge $140 hr. And this update should take less than an hour to do.
I'm still under factory warranty... They should do it for free right? Even tho mine is a 2012.. I'm experiencing the same lag you are, I'm pretty sure is the same thang
Old 07-29-2015, 12:08 PM
dAgent

I have a 2012 Sedan and I'm experiencing the same lagging to downshift. It doesn't happen all the time as sometimes the car downshifts 2-3 gears quick and puts the motor in the power band nicely.

Another much bigger issue that I'm having; happens mostly when the car is cold which doesn't make sense, when it worms up the effect is much diminished. Coming to a stop than back on the gas quickly and nothing, car just sit there, the revs go up but the car doesn't move, feels like the transmission is disconnected from the engine, sword of a rubber band effect. Than suddenly The trans catches up, seems like it connected back to the engine, the tires chirp as the rpm's drop to match the engine like I neutral dropped it or something and the car moves forward.

This has got me concerned. Is anyone having the same issue or is there something wrong with my car?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:20 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
I am not really having too many issues with the transmission, even the lag is not too bad, but I am thinking that when hitting the gas hard, the transmission shifts to the wrong gear , at least one gear too high. WOT acceleration when cruising around 30-50 is really terrible.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:52 PM
peterso2
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone have issues with their second key not working after this update? Somehow my second key fob doesn't work anymore..is there a sync procedure?
Old 08-17-2015, 11:07 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by peterso2
Anyone have issues with their second key not working after this update? Somehow my second key fob doesn't work anymore..is there a sync procedure?
Battery?
Old 08-21-2015, 10:57 PM
drkashifa

Hey guys so read through as much of this 160+ pages as possible but i had 2 basic questions that i'm sure any noob could answer, unfortunately this noob can't find a specific answer. I just picked up a 2013 G37x CPO with 30k miles...

1) Are there any updates for a 2013 G37x? i saw a few 2012 ppl ask but didn't seem to see anyone answer them...

2) The car seems fast, however, I was reading that it learns how you drive. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to (and how?!?) reset that learning and if it would make any difference or just drive and it will adapt automatically?

sorry for the noob questions! hope someone can help.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:00 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by drkashifa
Hey guys so read through as much of this 160+ pages as possible but i had 2 basic questions that i'm sure any noob could answer, unfortunately this noob can't find a specific answer. I just picked up a 2013 G37x CPO with 30k miles...

1) Are there any updates for a 2013 G37x? i saw a few 2012 ppl ask but didn't seem to see anyone answer them...

2) The car seems fast, however, I was reading that it learns how you drive. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to (and how?!?) reset that learning and if it would make any difference or just drive and it will adapt automatically?

sorry for the noob questions! hope someone can help.
Welcome to the site! Your transmission is fully up to date. You can reset the ECU then drive like a hellion but unless you drive like that all the time it will revert back to a more conservative set. I'd go ahead and reset the ECU anyway just to get a fresh start and drive as you normally would, it may be more spirited than the previous owner.
G/L
Old 08-23-2015, 12:15 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
When there are 162 pages in a forum for a trans reprogram its time to re-evaluate your program.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:17 AM
03infinitig35

Hello guys,

Coming from a g35 2003 coupe that I sold with 100k miles..
Ironically my 2009 G37x with under 58k has a slipping transmission, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 all slip.

I got the tsb 072 and 027d done right when I bought the car but it hasn't done squat... Apparently I was supposed to get the tsb done for free (that's what corporate told me) since I am still in the powertrain warranty (60k, 6 years).

Anything I can get the dealer to do to replace this god forsaken transmission? I told him about an Altima I had with a failed transmission doing this before dying but he assured me that my fluid is good and no error codes so nothing can be replaced.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram