Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 01:57 PM
djdiskino

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
I had the transmission reprogramming done - I mentioned both the TSB's but I am not sure which one they performed and its been about a month or two since I had it done.. Some days the tranny is smooth and shifts nice but stop-n-go is kind of annoying if not in DS mode.. I feel slight jerks here and there especially in humid weather.

I do notice that the rev-matching in D mode is gone so that leads me to believe they applied the latest update. Overall I am pretty happy - only at 35K but thinking of possibly doing a tranny drain/fill on the fluid since the car is new to me.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:41 AM
c212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the update applied about 48 hours ago (2011 G37xS coupe) and so far so good. Again, the only issue I had was occasional lag after decelerating down to 20-25 mph and stepping on the gas. By "lag" I mean it felt like the car was in neutral for .5 - 1.0 second.
Anyway, I went through the initial typical discussion with the Infiniti dealership and listened to them surmise that the issue was likely just the car downshifting so many gears. Then I threw in the comment about the contents of the TSB, they said they'd be sure to check, and called back later noting that the car was eligible and the update was applied.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 PM
BDICICCO

After reading pages 1-60 I wasn't able to find someone who has experienced my issue, so I apologize if I've missed the answer I'm looking for.

I've owned my 2011 G37x with 34k miles for 3 months (and about to fall out of warranty) and have been worried about the same lower speed harshness and lag, however yesterday I experienced a high speed issue! It scared the h*** out of me when accelerating between 90-100mph and it seemed to slip into neutral, revving without acceleration, almost to redline!!

Has this ever happened to anyone and is it possible that this is related to a need for this reprogram?

1st post..... Thanks for any all your knowledge and any responses!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:39 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by BDICICCO
After reading pages 1-60 I wasn't able to find someone who has experienced my issue, so I apologize if I've missed the answer I'm looking for. I've owned my 2011 G37x with 34k miles for 3 months (and about to fall out of warranty) and have been worried about the same lower speed harshness and lag, however yesterday I experienced a high speed issue! It scared the h*** out of me when accelerating between 90-100mph and it seemed to slip into neutral, revving without acceleration, almost to redline!! Has this ever happened to anyone and is it possible that this is related to a need for this reprogram? 1st post..... Thanks for any all your knowledge and any responses!
The lag you experience during lower speeds falls under the reprogram/update. However the transmission slipping into neutral at 100mph does not. I imagine your transmission may have been shifting from 6th to 7th when it slipped into neutral instead. I would have the dealership take a look at it because if it's slipping into neutral then you transmission may be on its way out. Get it fixed under warranty while you still can, otherwise it can be a costly fix.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:15 PM
BDICICCO

Originally Posted by '11G37S
The lag you experience during lower speeds falls under the reprogram/update. However the transmission slipping into neutral at 100mph does not. I imagine your transmission may have been shifting from 6th to 7th when it slipped into neutral instead. I would have the dealership take a look at it because if it's slipping into neutral then you transmission may be on its way out. Get it fixed under warranty while you still can, otherwise it can be a costly fix.
Thanks for your response! That was my feeling as well! I plan to take it in next Tuesday!

Is there any possibility that it could have been caused by transitioning to DS around 70mph, downshifting to correct RPM range, manually shifting in accordance to "put a mustang shame procedures", then shifting back into D after the job has been done, cruising for a few miles, and than accelerating again in D when it happened?

Again, I appreciate your feedback being a new G owner!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:21 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
No, shifting from D to DS shouldn't cause that to happen, unless you were in limbo (in between the two) for too long. I switch between the two frequently when driving, but never when I'm accelerating, some times I'll take my foot off the gas when I do, not sure if it actually matters or not.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Phong

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys,

I have a '10 sedan and I am experiencing the jerking during downshift. I am out of the bumper to bumper warranty. I've called one dealership so far and he told me that it will be 150 or 175 to reflash and its not covered under the powertrain warranty.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2014, 04:49 PM
BDICICCO

Originally Posted by '11G37S
No, shifting from D to DS shouldn't cause that to happen, unless you were in limbo (in between the two) for too long. I switch between the two frequently when driving, but never when I'm accelerating, some times I'll take my foot off the gas when I do, not sure if it actually matters or not.
So when you are in DS you take your foot off the gas when up shifting?
Old 10-18-2014, 07:30 PM
hitmaneidos
Registered Member

I got the update done on Tuesday on my 2010 G37xS and I just love the way car responds now. Everything feels a lot more smoother. I had to unlearn the 2 second delay in acceleration :P
Old 11-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djdiskino
I had the transmission reprogramming done - I mentioned both the TSB's but I am not sure which one they performed and its been about a month or two since I had it done.. Some days the tranny is smooth and shifts nice but stop-n-go is kind of annoying if not in DS mode.. I feel slight jerks here and there especially in humid weather.

I do notice that the rev-matching in D mode is gone so that leads me to believe they applied the latest update. Overall I am pretty happy - only at 35K but thinking of possibly doing a tranny drain/fill on the fluid since the car is new to me.
FYI....Just did my first fluid flush at 71k and it has made a gig difference. I would have done it long ago if I had known it would have made this amount of difference. Much more driveable and predictable.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Jack10525
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver37
FYI....Just did my first fluid flush at 71k and it has made a gig difference. I would have done it long ago if I had known it would have made this amount of difference. Much more driveable and predictable.
Do you mean big difference?

Who did the flush and how did they do it?

I got my trans reprogrammed and it did absolutly nothing.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:35 AM
Silver37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jack10525
Do you mean big difference?

Who did the flush and how did they do it?

I got my trans reprogrammed and it did absolutly nothing.
Yes...BIG difference....sorry for fat fingering!

I had the dealer do it while I waited. Supposedly they completely flushed and replaced all 17 quarts of fluid. I'm still very happy with the results unlike all the other things I've done in the past like resetting the computer, etc. that work well initially and then revert to their old ways after a few days.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:31 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought the tranny had lifetime tranny fluid in it. Why did you feel a need to change it?
Old 11-09-2014, 02:03 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The first 30k miles is hell to trans fluids; tighter gear tolerance means more heat, break in metal shavings from gears and bands contaminates. I changed the fluid at close to 20k and it makes a big, big difference. But then just hang onto the "life time" fluid banner, you only missed out the performance and potential long term heath of the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
skeener (11-10-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CodeG
The first 30k miles is hell to trans fluids; tighter gear tolerance means more heat, break in metal shavings from gears and bands contaminates. I changed the fluid at close to 20k and it makes a big, big difference. But then just hang onto the "life time" fluid banner, you only missed out the performance and potential long term heath of the transmission.
Totally agree. There is no specified maintenance for the tranny fluid, but the premium Infiniti service shows them doing it at 60k, so that's a good reference to work from. It's a totally sealed system, so the interval can be long, but to me it's like synthetic motor oil...it will last for a long time, but the car always runs better even when changed at 3750 mile intervals.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram