G37 Sedan

Rattle in drivers side front door

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:29 PM
rohardi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle in drivers side front door

Hey all,

Is anyone else experiencing an issue with the drivers side front door rattling when ever you play anything with ANY bass at all on the stereo? It seems like it MIGHT be coming from the handle to on the inside of the door and the power window controls. Could this be from pulling on the door to close it? Is this something that the dealership should be able to fix??? It's absolutely driving me nuts!!!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 06:39 PM
2k7G35s

That happens to me too when certain mid range bass noises are turned up
Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
no, but i have the same rattle on the passenger front door.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:39 PM
rohardi

the over all quality in this car is depressing. It drives sooooooo well! But I feel as if the parts,fit,and finish are **** poor. The paint is a joke! I really want an IPL when it makes it way to the sedan, but i don't know if that's going to happen at this rate.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:09 PM
sammy917

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeahh, the rattles are depressing. no particular rattles with bass, but something in the rear deck rattles when going over bumps and there's a rattle coming from the front driver's side of the car (absolutely no idea where).
Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
i have the rattle on the rear deck over rough roads also. i wouldn't say the quality of the car is depressing...i have both infiniti and audi, and my experience is the infiniti (and most japanese cars) just don't have that same feel as a german car. both the G and M are great cars, but overall, they just don't have the solid feeling of the Audi in drive quality and craftsmanship. the infiniti feels light and hollow. for example, when you slam the door, it doesn't have that solid "thump" sound like the Audi.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Everything is a trade off.....the build quality of the BMW I traded to get the G was far better than this G....but its reliability and cost to maintain was horrible. I too hate rattles, but following my last experience, I will probably be a bit more tolerant of the rattles.

Trending Topics

Old 12-11-2010, 11:49 PM
rohardi

Originally Posted by financeman
Everything is a trade off.....the build quality of the BMW I traded to get the G was far better than this G....but its reliability and cost to maintain was horrible. I too hate rattles, but following my last experience, I will probably be a bit more tolerant of the rattles.
is the BMW really that bad? I want An M3 sedan next in a BAD way....
Old 12-12-2010, 01:02 AM
2k7G35s

Originally Posted by rohardi
the over all quality in this car is depressing. It drives sooooooo well! But I feel as if the parts,fit,and finish are **** poor. The paint is a joke! I really want an IPL when it makes it way to the sedan, but i don't know if that's going to happen at this rate.
A piece on the top left of the pod that moves when you tilt the steering column is flexing because of the heat/cold. It's becoming permanently deformed. It was a small gap when new but it's only growing... MY DOOR SEALS are also becoming loose and you can now fit your hand in between the seal and the door, when it's opened, when its closed you can still see the crease were the seal is loose. I have 72k miles
Old 12-12-2010, 01:11 AM
2k7G35s

Originally Posted by sniper27
i have the rattle on the rear deck over rough roads also. i wouldn't say the quality of the car is depressing...i have both infiniti and audi, and my experience is the infiniti (and most japanese cars) just don't have that same feel as a german car. both the G and M are great cars, but overall, they just don't have the solid feeling of the Audi in drive quality and craftsmanship. the infiniti feels light and hollow. for example, when you slam the door, it doesn't have that solid "thump" sound like the Audi.
I agree, but my experience came from a 2006 Acura RL(which besides door handle pull not being linear to the point when it opens the door, easily chipped paint, peeling chrome strips, and a squeaky interior door handle grab was basically faultless), I know what you mean by a solid driving experience. It had a HUGE aluminum cross member(the biggest I have ever seen in person), with expensive materials abound in places you don't notice, aluminum suspension compnoents/panels, carbon fiber driveshaft, and so on.... which all added up to a solid driving experience(most of the money in the $50k RL was spent on expensive exotic materials underneath and inside, I payed $38k for a a 2006 in 2007), it didn't feel "light and hollow" like my G does(like if you floor it accelerating onto highway and hitting bumps on the way is a point where you feel on the edge and it feels "hollow").
Old 12-12-2010, 04:58 AM
G37_09_driver_1

Rattle? .... Me Too.

I've had a rattle on the front driver's side of the vehicle for a few months now. At first, I thought it was somewhere on the outside of the car. But now I believe it's under the dash somewhere. I hear a slight rattle (sounds metalic) when going over bumps. Problem is, the rattle is not always there, and I can't seem to locate exactly where the hell its coming from. (btw, the rattle in the rear speaker area when going over bumps? yes, I hav that too - when I'm approaching the speed bumps just before the NJ Turnpike tolls, it rattles like crazy back there)

I just took the car in for an oil change (Ray Catena in Edison, NJ) but I didn't have time to wait for them to check out the rattle, so I'll bring it back in soon to see if someone there can help me out with both these issues. I hope they can isolate it, cause it is very annoying. Overall, I'm happy with this car - whether I buy another Infiniti will depend on what kind of service I get at times like this, and that's still up in the air.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:27 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rohardi
is the BMW really that bad? I want An M3 sedan next in a BAD way....
If you are seriously considering a BMW, I would encourage you to spend some time on the Bimmerfest discussion site. Just look at some of the complaints about the new F10 (5 series).....seems like a signficant number of serious issues. I was considering the F10 - love the looks of the car, but who needs the headaches - even if covered by warranty. I am sure the M3 is no better...but do your homework.

I had an 03 530i that had been pampered since new...only about 73,000 miles when I sold it. Body was prestine, never wrecked, and not a single rattle, but mechanically was just one problem after another. Following $4,600 in repairs and maintenance last year(some of that was DIY stuff), I was facing the following issues when I sold it: preventative cooling system overhaul (common issue - replace radiator, water pump, thermostat at 70 - 80,000 miles), replace front ball joints and struts ($1,600), replace gauge cluster for messed up display pixels, and valve guides had deteriorated...oil usage increased to 1 quart every 1,000 miles (common problem - usually not fixed). I realize all cars have more maintenance as they age....but the BMW seemed excessive and there is a long list of other things that break as the car approaches 100,000 miles. Just my experience.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:55 PM
ReddieG37

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I, too, had a similar rattle on my coupe near the top-mid area of the passenger side door panel. I took it in to the dealership, and they first told me just lower my bass. But I told them that this shouldn't even be a problem since my driver side door doesn't rattle plus I'm not even playing my music loudly (only at 3-4 bars). They eventually agreed to try to fix the problem, but warned me not to be disappointed since they might not be able to eliminate the rattle entirely. But I guess they were able to narrow down to exactly where the rattle was coming from since I don't get the rattle anymore.

You can give it a try, but dealership might say any sort of rattle is common with bass.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:24 PM
areyoojordan

Originally Posted by FantastikG37
I, too, had a similar rattle on my coupe near the top-mid area of the passenger side door panel. I took it in to the dealership, and they first told me just lower my bass. But I told them that this shouldn't even be a problem since my driver side door doesn't rattle plus I'm not even playing my music loudly (only at 3-4 bars). They eventually agreed to try to fix the problem, but warned me not to be disappointed since they might not be able to eliminate the rattle entirely. But I guess they were able to narrow down to exactly where the rattle was coming from since I don't get the rattle anymore.

You can give it a try, but dealership might say any sort of rattle is common with bass.
they told me to lower my bass... i got a rattle on the left AND right front doors, rattling from the sunroof, rattling from my rear deck, and behind the sunroof theres something making styrofoam noises. gotta whole band playin in my car while i drive. fml. i will definitely go back to the dealer.

this car just feels so cheaply made and light... <3 the engine though.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I had an IS 350 before my G, and chased rattles in that car for 4 solid years. I was constantly pissed about them. Now I have the same problem with the G.

For some reason, rattles have become acceptable in near-lux sports sedans. I have an SUV that is vault quiet, and had a truck before that - also very quiet. Hell, I had a 2000 Maxima that never had a single squeak or rattle.

It's a law of inverse proportions. As manufacturing tolerances and exterior build quality goes up, the quality of interior tolerances and build quality goes down. It shouldn't be true, but it sure seems to be.

Quick Reply: Rattle in drivers side front door