G37 Sedan

Trailer hitch bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
SCWells72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trailer hitch bike rack

With the fold-down rear seats I could fit my mountain bike in the back of the S4 (had to remove one or both wheels, but that's easy), but it doesn't fit in the trunk of the G37. I've been looking at options for bike racks that fit the G37 and would prefer to avoid anything that might scratch the trunk or roof paint if possible. As a result I'm primarily looking at adding a small hitch under the rear bumper, ideally one that doesn't stick out at all, and getting a hitch-mounted bike rack.

With just a quick search I found the following hitch that appears to be made for the G37 and corresponding rack, and I wondered if anyone had any experience with them, or even better, if anyone has a recommendation for something that's worked well for them. It seems to require trimming the fascia on the underside of the vehicle, but something tells me that's going to be the case with any hitch I add to the car.

Anyway, I appreciate any insights you guys can share!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:36 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There you go...

https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...k-options.html
Old 10-04-2010, 02:37 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Are ppl in Austin still trying to be like Lance Armstrong?
I love town lake around Austin..
Old 10-04-2010, 02:44 PM
SCWells72

Hah! Well, I pretty much ride trails exclusively so, while I've seen Lance around town, I'm definitely not trying to emulate him or fall into a convoy with him. Town Lake is very cool but there are many fun, more technical trails around town. My office is actually on the Barton Creek greenbelt which is a great trail, and for the most part I'm wanting the bike rack to take my bike to/from work so I can ride over lunch or before/after work, though there are other trails I'd likely visit on weekends once it's convenient again.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:17 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Using my custom hitch designed and installed by A & B Trailer Hitch of Redwood city. Stock mounting location is very weak, this is fully integrated, you could really load it up if you wanted to - zero flex.

Trailer hitch bike rack-g37bikerack2.jpg
Old 04-08-2015, 02:56 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I have a Curt hitch on my sedan. I tow and use a bike rack on it.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch bike rack-img_1063.jpg   Trailer hitch bike rack-hitch.jpg  
Old 03-30-2016, 11:08 AM
jket007

Originally Posted by bythabay
Using my custom hitch designed and installed by A & B Trailer Hitch of Redwood city. Stock mounting location is very weak, this is fully integrated, you could really load it up if you wanted to - zero flex.

Attachment 111139

Hey, can you send me a picture of the custom hitch. I have a curt hitch but it bolts to the bumper. I am trying to trailer my motorcycle to the track. I have a 4x8. I tried emailing A&B but no response.

Last edited by jket007; 03-30-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:50 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Two ideas for you so take them for what they are worth.

Today's trunk mounted bike racks are really good at protecting the paint and easy to set up unlike the ones of 5-10 years ago so you might want to take a look.

If you are already used to removing the wheels, you could also do the same and stand the bike up in front of the back seats. Just take an old beach towel to wrap around the crank/pedals so they don't scratch anything and throw the wheels in the trunk. I used to do that on another car that had a high spoiler and made it very difficult to use a trunk mounted rack.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:13 PM
ETrev
Premier Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Today's trunk mounted bike racks are really good at protecting the paint and easy to set up unlike the ones of 5-10 years ago so you might want to take a look.
For just one bike? This idea is actually not a bad one. I use a trunk mount one occasionally myself with no problems. And just to be a little safe I put tiny pieces of clear protective vinyl right where the hooks meet the trunk lid.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 PM
VMRWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
I have a Curt hitch on my sedan. I tow and use a bike rack on it.
I know this thread is on the older side and this post from last year, but this is an awesome setup! Would love to see a G pulling a small trailer with bike rolling down the highway.
The following users liked this post:
AUR11 (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 03:29 PM
AUR11

Originally Posted by VMRWheels
I know this thread is on the older side and this post from last year, but this is an awesome setup! Would love to see a G pulling a small trailer with bike rolling down the highway.
Thanks! I actually ended up removing the hitch and got a cheap 3rd gen 4runner to tow with. The hitch kept scraping on my driveway of my new place and I started to not like the look of it anymore.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:17 PM
gian13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so that hitch is supposed to bolt on directly on to the rear steel bumper. easy installation and good price, but is it really safe to put that much weight on the bumper? doesn't the bumper has shock absorbers and other stuff?
the reviews look good so i guess i'll take the chance
Old 03-30-2016, 05:42 PM
AUR11

Originally Posted by gian13

so that hitch is supposed to bolt on directly on to the rear steel bumper. easy installation and good price, but is it really safe to put that much weight on the bumper? doesn't the bumper has shock absorbers and other stuff?
the reviews look good so i guess i'll take the chance
I towed 1k-1500lbs regularly and had no issues. I would suggest a transmission cooler though. But other than that the G didn't even notice there was extra weight behind it. The install is not nearly as easy as they make it look. The metal bar has to be like broken off with a pry bar.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:26 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by ETrev
For just one bike? This idea is actually not a bad one. I use a trunk mount one occasionally myself with no problems. And just to be a little safe I put tiny pieces of clear protective vinyl right where the hooks meet the trunk lid.
Works great with 1 bike and ok with 2 bikes as well as long as they are not super heavy old clunkers
Old 08-08-2016, 03:38 PM
jket007

Originally Posted by AUR11
Thanks! I actually ended up removing the hitch and got a cheap 3rd gen 4runner to tow with. The hitch kept scraping on my driveway of my new place and I started to not like the look of it anymore.

How did it hold up? The bumper on the G is meant to break away during a crash. I need to tow my bike to the track as well. I have the G37S. Got the curt hitch and all. But hesitating on the install since I've been reading more on it. Did you have to reinforce the support that holds the bumper? They are tact welded.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch bike rack