G37 Sedan

G37 Sedan Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
Word up! Agreed! Honestly, I would never install headers on a car unless the stock manifold has a cat built on to it. That's usually what causes the most restriction. The HP gains are not worth it otherwise.
Yup.... I was actually surprised how un-restrictive the factory manifolds look on the VQ37VHR. The old VQ35DE mani's on the G/Z were a lot more restrictive than ours (ours actually have something that resembles individual runners).
Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jran76
(ours actually have something that resembles individual runners).
Yeah, it pretty much is. It's just a larger collector and shorter runs than the stillen header. Otherwise, I say same chit!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 AM
Mike P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only real difference in the Stillen over the OEM header is the left side of the header. On the OEM version, the run is shorter. On the Stillen all 3 are the same distance. One chamber increase in distance to make it equal to the others should not gain 14 hp. I think sometimes vendors are too agrresive in the claims that make on the gains to be gotten from using thier product. Kinda like the wild west (oh yeah, they are all in Cali) out there.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
No.... But, there are at least 3-4 exhausts specificially for the Sedan. Invidia, Stillen, and Fast Intentions. All are pretty decent depending on what you are after.

I personally think for a car that has been out for 6 months there are quite a few parts. Below is a list of confirmed parts that are out. Is there something else you are really after?

Intakes: Stillen G2/G3, R2C, Injen, Takeda, plus a few others. K&N and HKS make drop-in filters
Exhaust: Stillen, Invidia, Fast Intentions
Cats: Stillen, Berk, AAM, Fast Intentions
Test pipes: Berk, GTM,
Headers: Stillen
Coilovers: Tein, JIC, HKS, and a few others
Springs: Eibach, H&R, Tanabe
Sway bars: Hotchkis and Stillen
Front Comber arms: SPC
Rear camber arm/toe kit: SPC, Eibach, and Ichiba
Tune: Cobb AccessPort, Techosqaure, and soon UpRev
Twin Turbo: GTM, AAM, or HKS
Big Brake Kits: Rotora, Stoptech, Brembo, and the factory Akebono for non-sport models
Rotors: Stoptech and Rotora
Lines: Stoptech
Pads: Project Mu (2x), Ferado, and Hawk (3x)
Front lips: Kenstyle and Kenstyle knock-off by RavSpec, factory sport lip, and factory non-sport lip (this will work on the sport model also).
Rear: RavSpec rear spats, and rear diffuser (coming soon)
Engine Covers: Status Elite, and Ebay
Grills: Factory Midnight Grill, custom factory grill (modified), or Iconic
Spoilers: Factory, TK knock-off by Mach III, Grubbs "Euro" spoiler, Stillen
Roof Spoiler: Stillen, RavSpec

Most suspension parts will only fit the RWD, with the exception of springs and rear camber arms. If you want to highly modify the suspension the AWD is the wrong platform.

That is all I can think of, but that is off the top of my head, and I am sure I am missing something. I little searching goes a long way, but if you can't find what you are looking for replay back and I will let you know what is available.
Great list, jran!! Just a quick comment... UpRev is available for our car, but only certain tuners can do it properly. I had mine done a GTM months ago.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:42 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Yup.... I was actually surprised how un-restrictive the factory manifolds look on the VQ37VHR. The old VQ35DE mani's on the G/Z were a lot more restrictive than ours (ours actually have something that resembles individual runners).
So the Tanabe Medallion exhaust doesn't fit the sedan?

Edit: Or do I have to get the Tanabe Medalion for the 07-08 G35 Sedan?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TANAB...#ht_2592wt_906
I have the Tanabe Medallion exhaust on my car along with the BERK HFC's and absoltely love the set up. It's near stock sounding with just a slight increase in volume, with very little rasp (just a slight amount until the exhaust wams up, then its gone) and absolutely no drone. I'd highly reommend this to anyone that drives their G sedan everyday and is not looking for an ultra aggressive set-up.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Great list, jran!! Just a quick comment... UpRev is available for our car, but only certain tuners can do it properly. I had mine done a GTM months ago.
When I talked to UpRev it was still not available for the 09, but they were getting close. This was about a month ago, so it may be now. I will check them again soon. I have the Cobb now, but I may try out the UpRev (I still can't say I am completely satisfied with the Cobb AccessPort). UpRev is just down the road from me in Austin, so no issues there for me....

EDIT: I just saw in another thread in the engine section that they released it on last Friday (8/28). I will double check this with UpRev....
Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 AM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I have the Tanabe Medallion exhaust on my car along with the BERK HFC's and absoltely love the set up. It's near stock sounding with just a slight increase in volume, with very little rasp (just a slight amount until the exhaust wams up, then its gone) and absolutely no drone. I'd highly reommend this to anyone that drives their G sedan everyday and is not looking for an ultra aggressive set-up.

Did you ever post a video clip?
Old 09-04-2009, 03:32 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

When I talked to UpRev it was still not available for the 09, but they were getting close. This was about a month ago, so it may be now. I will check them again soon. I have the Cobb now, but I may try out the UpRev (I still can't say I am completely satisfied with the Cobb AccessPort). UpRev is just down the road from me in Austin, so no issues there for me....

EDIT: I just saw in another thread in the engine section that they released it on last Friday (8/28). I will double check this with UpRev....
It's actually been available since January / February, but depends on your ECU number and the tuner. I got my UpRev tune done by GTM in May and another buddy of mine with a 2008 G37S got his done back in February. It all depends on your ECU number whether they can do it yet on your car or not, though, so you may have an ECU number that hasn't been done yet. There are a bunch of posts about it on Driver.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:34 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Did you ever post a video clip?
Yeah, I posted up a bunch of pics and several sounds / video clips on the G35Driver web-site earlier this year. I post a lot more over there, since the V36 sedan section is much more active over there.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Completely different. I have had a Maxima and a 350Z/G35/G37, and the engine is mounted transversely on the Maxima, and there is 3x the amount of room to get to the headers. I promise it will take you at least 5-6 hours. Go on G35driver or My350Z and ask anyone that has installed headers what they think, and I think you will agree. Really, that is not that big of a deal, but not worth it unless you have done all other possible breathing and tuning mods. Then if you think 6+ hours to install, and 5-10HP is worth $700+, go for it. Headers and Y-pipes seemed to be good mods on the Maxima, but neither does a whole lot on the VQ'ed Z/G. I am pretty sure this is one reason the Maxima puts out a lot less power to start with.... There is more room to improve.

I will add, I am not saying headers are a bad mod. It is just not where I would start, and I would consider waiting for some others to come out. As far as I know Stillen is the only one to offer headers right now. They "claim" 14HP/12TQ, and I think most will agree that Stillen's claims are very generous (most of their products gain half of what they claim at best--they claim 23HP on their 04 G35 sedan exhaust and I got 7HP on mine).

They claim 18HP on their Gen 3 intake for the G37, most people are getting in the 5-10HP range. They claim almost 20HP for their exhaust, and all are getting much less. I think it is safe to say you will get less than the 14HP they claim with their headers. Maybe some others will come out, but I have not seen a G/Z gain more than 10HP by themselves (maybe Crawford headers on the 350Z gained 10+HP, but that is it).

I am all for someone to prove me wrong, and really the cost of the Stillen headers is not bad. I would like to see someone try them out. I would even be willing to contribute some $$ for some before/after dynos. Unfortunately, past testing has shown that our exhaust manifolds breath pretty well compared to other cars.

EDIT: So, I did some searching after I posted this, and I found a good post on another website. I would check it out. It looks like he lost a crap load in the midrange (TQ), and there were negligible HP gains up top (5HP). As usual, Stillen hopped on and said that the gains were not normal, but the dyno's say enough for me about Stillen's headers. Take a look at this: Stillen Headers on 370z - Page 5 - Nissan 370Z Forum. I also found a few post that covered the install, and all said it was a PITA, and a 6+ HR install (and fitment was not great)....

I have attached a picture comparing our factory manifolds/headers to the Stillen (I got this pic from the above link). Not much difference, and I am guessing the Maxima headers look nothing like the stockers on the G37 (my Maxima manifolds looked a lot different).
Good info. I had a brain fart re: how the engines are mounted in the two cars. lol If I ever get my G, I probably will pass on the headers, even though my friend would install them for cheap. That $ would most likely be better spent on some spray, perhaps.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
TK knock off by Mach III? Anyone care to fill me in?
Old 09-07-2009, 04:54 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Someone should edit the list to include the following exhausts>

Stillen Exhaust
Fast Intentions Intimidator Exhaust
Borla Exhaust
Magnaflow Exhaust
Invidia Q300 Exhaust
HKS Dual Hi-Power Exhaust
Tanabe Medallion Touring Exhaust
Blitz Nur-Spec DT Exhaust
5Zigen Fireball Mega Exhaust
Impul Exhaust
GReddy Spektrum Elite Exhaust
Fujitsubo Exhaust
Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just an FYI. I contacted UpRev last week and asked about 09 Sedans. The reply from then stated that they would have it out soon to the tuners. And then usually a few weeks later, its released to the end users to flash their cars at home with a laptop.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:30 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
Someone should edit the list to include the following exhausts>

Stillen Exhaust
Fast Intentions Intimidator Exhaust
Borla Exhaust
Magnaflow Exhaust
Invidia Q300 Exhaust
HKS Dual Hi-Power Exhaust
Tanabe Medallion Touring Exhaust
Blitz Nur-Spec DT Exhaust
5Zigen Fireball Mega Exhaust
Impul Exhaust
GReddy Spektrum Elite Exhaust
Fujitsubo Exhaust
Stillen, FI, and Invidia are listed in my original post.

I have not seen a Magnaflow, Borla, Blitz, or 5Zigen on a G37, so I did not feel comfortable listing those. The Impul and Fujitsubo are only available from Japan as far as I know (again, I have not seen these tested on a G37 either).

The Tanabe and HKS are only rear sections (mufflers only) made for the G35. All of the above should "work" and fit on the 09, and I think you listing them is sufficient.

I would still recommend the Invidia, Stillen and FI as a full catback solution, and all 3 have been well tested on the 09. Most of those you listed are really for the 07-08 sedan, and have not been tested on the VQ37VHR (only the VQ35HR). The new Greddy Spectrum is the only other that has been tested and developed for the G37, so it is another (new) option to consider, but realize it does not include a y-pipe. It also retails for more than the Stillen, FI, or Invidia which are complete systems. The others will fit the G37, but may not give the best gains or optimal performance.....
Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
TK knock off by Mach III? Anyone care to fill me in?
MachIII on G35driver has produced this. As far as I know only one person has it, and he has some minor issues with fitment (bat6wc on driver I think). I would wait until the fitment is worked out, or go with the real deal TK.

EDIT: Link: http://g35driver.com/forums/exterior...-g37sedan.html

Last edited by jran76; 09-07-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: G37 Sedan Mods