G37 Sedan

Miles Per Gallon Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 01:01 AM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael440
Sorry mate but I'm sort of confused about your post.
Why would you say AWD will get better milage than RWD???
It's RWD that gets 1 to 2 mpg better milage over AWD which adds serious weight to the car and that includes city milage.
I'm also trying understand how would
inflating tires, changing filters and oil causing 3mpg loss in city. It just doesn't make sense. Perhaps it's the way you are driving or there is some other factor - bad gasoline, AC is on, open windows...
I just don't see how changing air filters, changing oil and inflating tires would causing 3mpg loss in the city, if anything it should improve mpg.
On paper awd should get worse city mpg yet from the data provided in this thread I can see that awd vehicles are actually getting equal or better mpg than at least my 5at coupe. I know NYC and I read people gettin 16+mpg with awd in NYC which is quite interesting.

I am careful with my driving, quite easy on the throttle, try to avoid getting caught on traffic lights and rarely use AC so I don't know.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Michael440

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThebigJ
On paper awd should get worse city mpg yet from the data provided in this thread I can see that awd vehicles are actually getting equal or better mpg than at least my 5at coupe. I know NYC and I read people gettin 16+mpg with awd in NYC which is quite interesting.

I am careful with my driving, quite easy on the throttle, try to avoid getting caught on traffic lights and rarely use AC so I don't know.
Well, yes RWD with 5at will get worst or equal mpg to AWD 7at. 2 extra gears make difference.

7at RWD will get better mpg than 7at AWD.
Also 7at RWD will get better mpg than 5mt RWD...
and G37 RWD 7at will get better mpg than G37s 7at, 5mt, G37x.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:14 PM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Well, yes RWD with 5at will get worst or equal mpg to AWD 7at. 2 extra gears make difference.

7at RWD will get better mpg than 7at AWD.
Also 7at RWD will get better mpg than 5mt RWD...
and G37 RWD 7at will get better mpg than G37s 7at, 5mt, G37x.
Extra gears should make the difference only in highway driving, I am talking about city driving.

Funny enough I can get similar mpg's on highway yet my city sucks.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:01 PM
Michael440

Extra gears should make the difference only in highway driving, I am talking about city driving.

Funny enough I can get similar mpg's on highway yet my city sucks.
Extra gears make difference at low speeds in the city. When you are driving on highway at for example 60-80 pet hour you stay on one gear for a long time so extra gears won't make any difference. It's pretty much self explanatory.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Michael440

You are getting same or similar mpg on highway on your 5at comparing to 7at because extra gears when driving 60-80 miles per hour or so, won't make much difference on highway vs if you were driving in the city at lower speeds with extra gear.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:00 PM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

You are getting same or similar mpg on highway on your 5at comparing to 7at because extra gears when driving 60-80 miles per hour or so, won't make much difference on highway vs if you were driving in the city at lower speeds with extra gear.
I am sorry you are wrong. Mpg is related to rpm and usually on a flat surface lower rpms translate to better mpg.

When cruising you do not need a lot of power so you try to minimize the rpm to minimize frictional losses in the engine. A 7at will be around 2k at 70 while my 5at is around 2.9k which is the reason why I will never get a decent mpg over 63mph while 7at will still get good numbers even at speeds closer to 80mph.

In city driving however at the speeds below 50mph, 5at always have a gear that matches the rpm of the 7at closely hence if all else is the same one should get very similar mpg in city driving. .
Old 12-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Michael440

In city driving however at the speeds below 50mph, 5at always have a gear that matches the rpm of the 7at closely hence if all else is the same one should get very similar mpg in city driving. .
Nope, not quite but I guess we won't agree on this which is no biggie.
I'm still standing by extra gears will get you better mpg in the city.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:44 PM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

Michael just google and you will find lot's of articles giving a nice explanation.

For the tech savy people in this forum I have a question.

I thought 5at and 7at had similar torque converters but now I think 7at has a much better one which allows lock-up in the smaller gears hence more efficient. Maybe it is the torque converter leading to better mpg in city driving.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Michael440

Ok no prob I will, but I still think 7at will give better mpg in the city than 5at :]

Cheers mate.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 PM
Wasekcj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pretty bad, avg showing 16.1 mixed driving
Old 01-04-2016, 10:07 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
I drive 2 miles to work so mpg is terrible Mon-Fri, but I still average 19.5 (car shows 20.6) with mixed city/highway driving. Fortunately I'm still able to burn less than a tank per week
Old 01-12-2016, 04:07 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
With the current milder temps in Fl, so no AC needed, I have noticed a nice improvement from the 18-19 avg in summer to now 21-22avg and that's 60% city 40/ hwy. also, It seems that the car has a sweet spot , as at times I'm driving like the other geriatrically induced type coma retirees around here and don't see much if any improvement or conversely , driving it like 0 to 45-60 is my only goal and that certainly garners some low numbers. however, if you Drive it somewhere above the "Avg"and in a manner that's more on the spirited side of things, it seems that my numbers actually improve by 1-2 mpg, problem is , I rarely continue this type of driving because I usually do this when alone; Once the wife or kids are in the car , I scale back down etc and drive in a less enthusiastic manner.

11 sedan G37s at
Old 01-17-2016, 05:13 PM
dflores

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm always impressed with the fuel economy I get out of my '11 G37 sedan. I drive once a week into an office about 55 miles away and get about 27 MPG at 72 MPH on cruise. I'm on 20" wheels and lowered on Swifts. The reliability of the car had been great too. The good old days for cars might just be today, unless you want to fix something.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Mr_Mer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Morning commute. Basically alone on the road, doing 70 mph average. About 23 mpg

Evening commute" Basically I can't spit without hitting another car, doing 30 mph average. 21 mpg. This is combines with a few open road moments when I try to get away from the mob, pass as many as I can so they are not in front of me.

Total average mpg = 21. I accept the fact that I may have a heavy foot.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:38 PM
ThebigJ
Registered Member

I realized that my car is pretty moody. For the last few days it was behaving "nice" in terms of mpg.

A nice trip 62-63mph cruise control on at 2590rpm resulted in a mpg >30 (I dont know how much more than 30 since my model doesn't give the exact number on the nav screen, it seems all pre 2010 models and models without navigation are this way, Quite stupid given g35 actually had the screen showing exact numbers. Trip computer on the cluster does give the actual numbers but I rarely use it).

In city with ligth foot and tryin to keep the speed over 25mph getting 20 mpg. So I am pretty much back to the good values.

BTW my trip computer's mpg numbers are very very accuratre. I caclulated my self 3 times and in each of those 3 the difference < 0.5 mpg (for example 21.8 on the trip computer 22.1 calculated mpg etc.)

The mood swings are probably a result of weather conditions. A better oil may help to reduce these losses. I will be flushing the tranny and changing differential fluid soon and see if it effects mpg.

Long story short on hilly terrain around 2550 rpm seems to be the sweet spot for me at 62mph, with 65mph speed limit I am ok with this. 7at users are enjoying similar results around 75mph which is great.

Also the definition of "City" milage changes drastically from place to place. If you are in Santa Barbara like me you know that downtown is like hills and stop/traffic lights every block, which is more or less the worst scenario.

Well I believe I contributed to this thread quite a bit. After changing the transmission fluid, differential fluid and maybe adding a new oil like penzoil ultra I will sum things up for optimizing mpg on the g37.

All and all I am quite happy with my vehicle, it drives smooth, handles great and I enjoy it a lot. Now if only I don't get the dreaded gasket issue...

Quick Reply: Miles Per Gallon Feedback