Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

IPL exhaust vs. stock

Old 03-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Sig6MT
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
IPL exhaust vs. stock

Can anyone layout differences in IPL exhaust vs stock?
I am considering upgrading to gain the few HP extras that IPL offers and would like to understand.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:23 PM
sydnrusty
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I recently upgraded my stock sport exhaust to the sport accessory exhaust (comparable but not exactly the same as the IPL exhaust). I don't think these exhausts have anything to do with HP gain. Just sound. The IPL HP gain is in the engine tuning, not the exhaust
Old 03-26-2017, 09:40 PM
EnYcee-G
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts
Exactly what sydnrusty; the oem/IPL/sport acc mufflers are purely for sound, or lack thereof. The sport acc muffler is purely for sound and looks Bc of the tip size, and the IPL is purely for look, it's barely as loud as a stock exhaust from an x,xs, or s.

I'd spend your money on after market systems. My top 3 would be ARK (true dual exhaust), motordyne, and fast intentions. These all have been extensively reviewed and have proven gains albeit not as much, unless you get all the breather mods and then a tune.

All those 3 will bring gains but also another positive is the unique sound that each delivers. The ARK is deep in tone and mildly loud. The perfect combo for me. Motordyne is throaty and aggressive sounding, it's louder than the ark but it's not a true dual exhaust. Still amazing though. Lastly to round up the 3 is the fast intentions system. It's slightly louder than stock in my opinion. It's deep in tone and a great system to go with as well.

Whatever system you decide to go with, I'd recommend coupling it with test pipes or hfc's to really round out the exhaust.

My current setup is FI RHFC, ark grip, and moshimoto post maf tubes.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:58 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
+1 for what sydnrusty and EnYcee-G said. The only real significant difference between the two, barely, is the IPL is a true dual setup. Even then the difference is only in aesthetic appearance. I did the swap long ago and was not thrilled but the price was right.
The following users liked this post:
EnYcee-G (03-26-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:59 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Not true. The full IPL exhaust is a true dual and is less restrictive than the regular G exhaust which necks down into a y-pipe before splitting again into two. It, along with the tuning is responsible for the gain.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ape Factory:
dbeachy1 (07-22-2017), The Pope (11-30-2022)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:53 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
depending on the cost of the IPL exhaust... id b lookin into aftermarket if the cost difference is minimal

Last edited by micafd3s; 03-27-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Sig6MT
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Not true. The full IPL exhaust is a true dual and is less restrictive than the regular G exhaust which necks down into a y-pipe before splitting again into two. It, along with the tuning is responsible for the gain.
Ape
Thx for your clear explanation.
Do we know if tuning is all that's needed or do I also need to get hardware/chip? We would do the tuning after the exhaust is installed, of course.
Thx in advanced.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:36 PM
Oneil9110
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sydnrusty
i recently upgraded my stock sport exhaust to the sport accessory exhaust (comparable but not exactly the same as the ipl exhaust). I don't think these exhausts have anything to do with hp gain. Just sound. The ipl hp gain is in the engine tuning, not the exhaust
​​​​​​​question is the sports accessory exhaust the same s the ipl or there's 3 different ones meaning just the catback. 1 for sport 1 for ipl and another separate one for sports accessory exhaust??
Old 11-29-2022, 09:28 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
As far as the mufflers are concerned, the "Sport Accessory" unit is a step above the IPL.

The IPL muffler is nothing more than a regular G37 muffler with the fancy tips welded on. See this post.

The MAIN difference between the IPL and "regular" G37 exhaust is the mid-pipe. The G37 uses a "Y-pipe" whereas the IPL uses a "H-pipe" which makes the IPL a "true dual" exhaust. Aside from that different pipe, everything else is basically the same from the cats on down.

If you are looking for another exhaust setup, there are far better aftermarket options. While the Sport Accessory is considered to be the better "OEM" option by many, when it comes to exhausts everyone has their own flavor and theirs is always better, lol. Find what suits your taste and go with it.

I have the IPL paired with Fast Intentions' RHFC's. I am okay with it, but it could be better.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 11-29-2022 at 10:05 AM.

Search this Thread