Sponsored By:

What do you think of your G37?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What do you think of your G37?

I've owned my 2010 G37S Coupe auto for over 3 years now. I bought it CPO with just over 32k miles. It was nearly perfect. Now it has around 73k and still is in great shape but.... It just doesn't drive the same. Even though I have kept up with the maintenance and done my own slight modifications it's just not the same car I bought. There is no snap to the acceleration like there used to be. There is a serious lag now in all gears. It seems to get worse with the miles. I don't think 73k is that much to notice this much of a difference. There is a definite delay when I hit the gas. I've been to the dealer and had the transmission "reprogrammed" twice. Not sure if they really did anything or not. Just how I feel about dealers (Stealers). I mean for a car that drives and gets me around, its fine. But for a car that is marketed as a luxury performance vehicle it has seriously disappointed. What do you think?
Flame suit on!!!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:02 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
I had the same issue once I hit 70k miles on my G and I vested $200 in an Ark throttle controller (10min install) and I noticed right away that 90% of my lag is gone and the car drives like it should've!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:03 PM
rdog
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Coming up on 4 years for mine and still love it. Search the forum on throttle lag and how to reprogram the ECU. I do this once in a while and she snaps back. I believe these cars adapt to your driving style, so I've read. If you are light on the throttle, then lag tends to be present.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:16 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Get a tune from Ecutek and all the problems you listed will be gone
Old 02-25-2017, 03:58 PM
MH2013
Premier Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Try clearing your throttle bodies. I did mine a couple of weeks ago and it made a huge improvement.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:37 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
I'm indifferent. It's a decent car but it doesn't do a lot for me. I also don't want to spend money on mods currently which would probably help with my feelings. It's a good A-B car and great in the winter though.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:48 AM
user 9783o978
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great for Canadian weather

Accelerates well, comfy and looks great
Old 02-26-2017, 09:22 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
The lag can be annoying at times, I think I will get an Ecutek tune one of these days. I would like to get the cold air intake, but not focused on that rn. Def considering a exhaust. I do need to clean the throttle bodies. I want to get the transmission serviced. The car runs better on a long run.

I wish it would let you do more when you are driving. I wish mine had the radar cruise, but I hardly ever use cruse control. I am amazed that my clock light works with almost 162k on the odometer. I wish I had better mileage. It would be nice if it had folding mirrors and turn signals on the mirrors. I wish it looked less like a Nissan. I need to replace my drivers side floor mat. I need to order front Brake Rotors.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
I personally think there's a lot to like about the car's basics. I started out with an IPL so maybe my thoughts don't apply to a Journey or a variation that doesn't have the sport brakes and sport suspension.

-Great long-distance touring, comfy overall.
-The chassis basics are really good including the stock dampers.
-Excellent steering feel
-Decent power
-Amenities/electronics that don't go overboard
-Excellent visibility
-Decent fuel mileage for long-distance touring
-Responsive. It has an edge that the new Q60, even in RS trim, doesn't have even though it's the same chassis.
-The 7AT. Yes, I actually like it and I learned how to "program" it to drive the way I like to drive. I almost never had issues with hunting gears. My only issue is it would downshift TOO far and wouldn't ride the midrange torque.
-Sounded great, even with the stock exhaust (IPL's have dual exhaust and the Sport muffler rear section)
-Overall, a pretty competent, solid package but maybe not the best at any one area.
-Fairly quiet and compliant when it needs to be.
-The seating position and control layout, for the most part, is really good, as are the sight lines.

I specifically targeted my modifications to address areas where I felt the car didn't ultimately live up to it's potential or where marketing pushed specs towards more broad appeal feel and specs.

-The chassis didn't feel ultimately as neutral as I'd like and understeers heavily, especially in low-speed corners
-The top end surge, even in IPL form, was a bit flat.
-400 pounds too heavy
-Pretty decent braking that was also inconsistent depending on outside temps
-Not enough body control at speed, a bit too much chassis movement overall if you push it.
-Ultimately, not enough power given the increase in weight over the 370z.
-Stock tires which leave a lot to be desired in terms of compliance, road noise and straight line traction.
-Speaking of traction, lack thereof. I've seen RWD cars with a 1/3 more hp that have better rear wheel traction coming off of corners.
-Launching from a stop is an exercise in constraint. It's either timid or all-out. You can't leave a light under medium power, less than WOT, and accelerate briskly due to wheel spin.
-VDC. It's a killjoy. I'm sure it's great in really crappy weather but a performance traction control, like you get with say ECUtek is far, far better. The car, with the stock ECU, is more responsive with the VDC off but it's possible to get your tail pretty far out, even too far out, with it off. So know what you're doing if you turn it off. The nannies are still there but they may not be enough to save you if you do something really stupid.
-Very alignment sensitive.
-Bluetooth. Not the best software overall. I drove a rental Maza3 this weekend that had a far superior bluetooth experience.
-Decent but not exceptional stereo. The Mazda3 stereo was honestly just as good. Really surprised me.
-Ergonomics. The cruise control on button placement annoys me. The electronics interface isn't the best by a wide margin.

A tune will really help with the overall feel of the car, even in stock form. While the throttle hijack is nice, it does interfere, at least for me, with the 7AT and it now hunts for gears more than prior unless I'm driving aggressively. Then it's brilliant.

Aftermarket tires and wider wheels, in my case Michelin PSS and a square setup, made a pretty dramatic difference in handling, traction, road noise and compliance. The better tires haven't completely solved my traction issues.

An exhaust, including high flow cats, will make a pretty good improvement in throttle response and power but they can be expensive as well as difficult to put on depending on the car, region and your mechanical abilities.

Lastly, don't forget, over time you become accustomed to the power and response. Mods can change that and make you fall in love again. Just make sure you do your research, have real expectations and pick your parts wisely based on your daily driver needs.

You'll just have to look at the cost and time to change the small aspects of the car you don't like any longer and ask yourself if it's worth it. I still feel it's a great car, especially as a used car bargain in stock form.
The following users liked this post:
Blade Runner (12-09-2019)
Old 02-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
I've had my G for 4.5 years. love it because it's sexy and reliable. sometimes I wish had bought a manual but the manual mode will do. the fragile paint gets annoying as hell.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:43 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Iv'e had mine almost 5yrs now and i still love my car. The lag can be crappy at times, but other than that i'm still happy.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:43 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
I really like mine - its not the fastest car on the road, but then again, its my daily driver and i realize i'm not a racecar driver getting paid to shed a few seconds off my commute - it has plenty of power.

with the sport package, it does handling/braking/speed to my satisfaction, is comfortable to drive, and looks good.

AWD is a big plus, as i've had AWD performance cars for the last 16 years.

i have no lag - its very responsive.

i will appreciate it even more later in the week (its in the shop getting the hood repaired after a parking garage gate fell on it ) - i have to drive my wife's Mitsubishi Outlander Sport for a few days
the Mitsu is a nice little CUV, but the G37 feels like a beast after driving a 180hp 4-cylinder for a while.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:50 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
....Lastly, don't forget, over time you become accustomed to the power and response. Mods can change that and make you fall in love again.....
this...
particularly worse if you have another car in the garage that has more power..
Old 02-27-2017, 09:03 AM
gimmeshelter67
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Sport with Stick. Haven't noticed the lag yet.

My car is a 2008. Got it CPO in 2010 at 24K. I now have 52K.

I love the car. Comfortable, sporty, low upkeep.

The downside is the melting dashboard and occasional leaks. Not sure if it's from the windows or sunroof drains, but on occasion it will leak.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:59 AM
Waste86

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Vizard_87
I've had my G for 4.5 years. love it because it's sexy and reliable. sometimes I wish had bought a manual but the manual mode will do. the fragile paint gets annoying as hell.

The paint (it seems especially red) is completely unacceptable for a luxury brand. I have had to redo almost all of my car due to the poor durability of the red paint.

My impressions of a 2008 Sport Coupe: Steering and feel are probably the best parts of the car. Power is decent, but the torque leaves the mid to top of the rev range really uninspiring as far as pull. Another good thing is they seem to be fairly reliable cars, while I was stock I didn't have any major issues from 10k-70k miles other than routine maintenance. All in all it is a sharp coupe with ok power, but really lacks the soul that torque would give. Some quality control on interior materials is also in question (melting dash and door grip caps).