G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Xs coupe exhaust...Ark vs Hks vs motor dyne.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 06:25 PM
canadian bacon

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Xs coupe exhaust...Ark vs Hks vs motor dyne.

Hi guys,so I'm on pins n needles here.i am in the market for new exhaust and was almost ready to buy the ark exhaust.What stopped me you ask.Was looking online and stumbled across motor dyne shock wave,watched some videos and was like omg.Very nice looking,sounding exhaust.The ark would be a simple bolt on for the AWD coupe,the Hks requires a bit of cutting and welding,motor dyne would be the same until today.Just got off the phone with motor dyne and they are releasing a AWD full cat back this month.No cutting,welding needed.
Now let's talk costs.Hks full cat back is cheapest at $2000 Canadian,followed by Ark at $2350 Canadian,this includes all shipping taxes ect...Motordyne is $1997 U.S. Without shipping,taxes,exchange rate ect...
I would realy like some feed back on what would be best,build,quality,durability,ect ect...
Just as a side note I will be putting on eibach pro kit lowering springs,dropping it 1.7 front 1.3 on the rear.was looking for dead 1 inch but the specs say otherwise appreciate everyone's feed back on this.
PS..sucks up here in Canada to mod a G. You guys in the U.S. Are so lucky.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:21 PM
canadian bacon

Hello,anybody? Could realy use some helpful advice.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:56 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
The Motordyne sounds great and is constructed very nicely. My only complaint with it is it's not a true dual exhaust.

I would go for the HKS but I'm not AWD and spending $2K on an exhaust, and then cutting it up, is honestly, too much of a compromise. I really like the way the HKS sounds.

No experience with the ARK but all three, I believe, will give you less clearance than the stock setup. Something to consider since you're lowering the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
canadian bacon (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
ARK is a great exhaust! Especially will bolt right on too
Old 02-16-2017, 10:45 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
I have the ark on the sedan paired with z1 HFC so it may be a little different but I'm willing to chime in. One thing I wish I knew before buying my ark is that it weighs more than the stock system (I think). Kind of a bummer but man, it sounds nice. When cruising around 3k rpm and you let go of the accelator, I get a tiny pop sometimes (may be from running rich?) . To me, ark is the deepest bass sounding exhaust. And as stated, the clearance is awful but I'm still on 4x4 stance so it doesn't hurt me. But I have scraped at stock height to give you an example.

HKS and motordyne are nice. I would prob choose motordyne tho. But all 3 exhausts are great. You can't exclude FI as it should be the same price range ish as the others.

Fitment was on point.
canadian bacon (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 PM
canadian bacon

Thanks fellas,The Motordyne is going to be considerably more $$$ but it sounds amazing in vids,no rasp or drone is a +++.
I have heard that the Hks is of better build,but that can be subjective...
The ark IMO sound better,but this is coming off tons of you tube videos..
And then the Motordyne,especially since they are now making them for AWD coupes,
The FI are a very nice exhaust,but cosmetically I think the ark,Motordyne are more pure sex from behind.scraping being the big issue,especially since I'm lowering....
LMAO at the I'm still on 4x4 mode...I feel you.It drives me nuts seeing so much space in the wheel well.

My stock 19,s...pretty but not sexy.just look at that wheel space.

It realy sucks up here in Canada because not many guys do mods on Japanese cars,cost,cost,cost.I have not seen one G with Hks,ark,Motordyne,FI, in a city of 1.4 million...just a few with axle back exhausts.....
Tons of ricer Hondas with massive fart cans,and because I live in oil country,diesels exhausts you could stuff a basketball in...
Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Just a thought..... how close are you to the boarder? If you're close enough, you could drive down and have the exhaust installed in the US and get the US price for it. Just thinking out loud.

Back to your question......

With all of the choices, you need to decide on what You Like The Most. If you can hear these different setups in person, that would help you decide, but knowing that there aren't a lot of people modding there cars in your area, you're just going to have to go with the YouTube & Gut Feeling on what to get.

Everything sound wise is Subjective.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:06 AM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
The ARK exhaust weighs more than stock??
Old 02-18-2017, 02:38 AM
canadian bacon

Thanks pope....love the profile pic btw...lol.So I'm about 4 hrs from the nearest boarder so once I factor time,fuel,headaches ect...I think I will just order it and ship it..you tube videos can be misleading.I truly understand your point of being able to hear the in person but that just isn't feasible.I never see dropped,modded G,s here.there are a few but by the time you see it its gone.poof.like a fart in a wind storm..To my ears and from videos the motordyne sounds more throaty and louder than the Ark and it cost me a few more buttons but I'm only going to do this exhaust once, so as the old saying goes.Go big or Go home.lol.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:46 AM
canadian bacon

I have been around a few meets here with muscle cars and imports but most are on shoe string budgets for imports so it's a lot of fart cans on Hondas,integral,ect.The domestic seem to do a bit more modding probably because parts for domestic are easier and cheaper up here.ohhh to spend a month I cali would be a dream...you US guys are so dam lucky.
On a lighter side of life I managed to see a set of vossen wheels in a shop.First time ever...Very happy about that as I'm looking at vossen wheels.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
motordyne sounds beastly get it
canadian bacon (02-25-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Go to a performance shop and have them custom make an exhaust EXACTLY to your liking. You'll pay a fraction of the cost and will be exactly what you want. In your case, I would not go with big brands due to the ridiculous pricing you'll have to pay.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:56 PM
Kyle Macri

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,
I live in Canada too and i was looking at getting the stillen exhaust system. Have you heard any good/bad things about those?
Old 02-25-2017, 07:09 PM
canadian bacon

Hi kyle...I can't say anything good or bad about stillen exhaust.I have only done research on HKS,ARK,Motordyne...I have heard good things with stillen exhaust. I am going to be doing Stillen longtube cold air intake...That's my favorite intake.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:10 PM
canadian bacon

Where in Canada are you kyle?
I'm in calgary,Alberta.