Sponsored By:

Custom Exhaust vs Manufactured?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:56 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Custom Exhaust vs Manufactured?

What's up guys. So while there are plenty of options for already manufactured full cat-back exhausts for our cars, I'm thinking about getting a custom one from a shop where I live, Miami muffler. What are your guys' thoughts/concerns about going the custom route? My biggest is that you won't have prior means to hear what the sound will be like. They said that the biggest factor when it comes to sound is the muffler and if I show them some clips that I like, they should be able to match it up quite well.

That said, they gave me a bunch of options. Either aluminized or stainless steel. 2.5" or 3" and the choice of the muffler; borla, magnaflow, flowmaster to name a few.

So a full cat-back, mandrel bent, true dual, aluminized, 2.5" with any muffler, is $720. That's pretty damn good if you ask me. What do you guys think? And when it comes to performance, does 3" and stainless steel make significant difference over 2.5" aluminized? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You don't need a diameter larger than 2.5" unless you have or will have forced induction. But why aluminized over stainless steel? I'm guessing cost is the driving factor. Stainless is a better choice.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:34 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You don't need a diameter larger than 2.5" unless you have or will have forced induction. But why aluminized over stainless steel? I'm guessing cost is the driving factor. Stainless is a better choice.
So when it comes to the overall sound, is the muffler what makes the biggest impact? Not so much all the prior piping?

Also, when it comes to reducing drone, are HFC's or Test Pipes better?
Old 01-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You're talking about 2 different things that are independent of one another. Power and sound. Which are you chasing? An exhaust system on its own independent of other modifications isn't going to increase power a lot.

The engine itself and the muffler affect sound more than piping diameter. Other factors play a part too. OEM cats will not drone. Both HFC and test pipes will drone, although HFC will drone less. Test pipes will allow your exhaust to have a strong smell, noticeable inside your car in many cases. Neither will pass state emissions insption if you have that. Unless the tech doesn't check them visually or hook up the emission tester.