Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Replacing trunk with OEM painted salvage trunk (QAA)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:52 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Unhappy Replacing trunk with OEM painted salvage trunk (QAA)

Apparently, tri-coat pearl (my case Moonlight White QAA) is the hardest paint to match due to many variables.

Wanted to debadge my trunk, but cannot because some idiot super glued the emblems back on the car. I weighed my options of getting a OEM painted trunk from a salvage vehicle, or having a local paint shop repaint, and blend the existing trunk.

Paint shop guy advised it would be more of a hassle getting an OEM trunk because depending on the color batch, even that trunk may be off with my existing paint. I thought for the longest time, OEM painted trunk would be the better option due to consistency. But I guess not?

Can anyone provide any insight to the validity of the paint shop guy's opinion?
Old 01-16-2017, 07:56 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Better off

to paint the one you have he is right depending on where the plant Painted your car is say there is 5 Infiniti plants that manufacture the cars all of those pearl whites will be a little different find a good paint shop close to you and they will be able to only paint the trunk and not have to blend into any other panels
Old 01-16-2017, 07:59 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucasmdemele
to paint the one you have he is right depending on where the plant Painted your car is say there is 5 Infiniti plants that manufacture the cars all of those pearl whites will be a little different find a good paint shop close to you and they will be able to only paint the trunk and not have to blend into any other panels
He stated it will blend into the bumper too. I had no clue it was that many plants. I guess it was a reason I haven't found one for a couple of months.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm not sure how many plants there is but trust me the blend is worth paying for if you want it to match I have painted for 5+ years and I just know that every manufacture plant has a little bit different paint formulation if the shop you take your car to has a color eye the paint match shouldn't be too hard as long as they use the test panel/spray out card to make sure they get it right