Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2008 G37S Takes Several Pushes of Start Button to Fire the Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 03:04 PM
Sython

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2008 G37S Takes Several Pushes of Start Button to Fire the Engine

Hey everyone,

My G37S has this weird problem that I have tried using Google to get an idea of what is going on for awhile, but I have not had any luck. I'm about to throw my hands up and take it into the dealer!

Anyways, the car takes several pushes to of the button to start.

Step by step here is what happens:

1.) I press the clutch in.
2.) Push start / engine button
3.) Electronics power on like normal, but does not start.
4.) Press again.
5.) Car shuts off

I literally have to repeat #1-#5 several times sometimes to get this car started. It is very frustrating sometimes. What is weird, is some days, this process I describe does not happen at all, so this can be a random occurrence too.

I have had the dealer replace the positive battery terminal and the battery, so I know those are good. I have tried undoing the negative terminal.

What makes me think this is wrong is I have a 2011 FX35 and this has never happened. I just depress the brake, hit the start button and off I go.

Thanks for your time!
Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Someone just had a similar problem in a different thread (Rochester?). The culprit turned out to be the lower clutch switch. This switch is actuated when the pedal is to the floor. Your fx35 has a similar switch but it's in the brake pedal assembly.

To troubleshoot, you can pull the harness off the lower switch and use a very thin wire to short it out, shifter in neutral, press the start button. If this was the issue, car should fire right up.

You may be able to connect the harness to the cruise switch (top). I don't recall if they both have the same connector or not.

Replacement switch is around $20, make sure you adjust properly.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:25 PM
Sython

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Someone just had a similar problem in a different thread (Rochester?). The culprit turned out to be the lower clutch switch. This switch is actuated when the pedal is to the floor. Your fx35 has a similar switch but it's in the brake pedal assembly.

To troubleshoot, you can pull the harness off the lower switch and use a very thin wire to short it out, shifter in neutral, press the start button. If this was the issue, car should fire right up.

You may be able to connect the harness to the cruise switch (top). I don't recall if they both have the same connector or not.

Replacement switch is around $20, make sure you adjust properly.
Dude, this is the one thing I was hoping it was versus some sort of massive ECU issue. I was leaning on buying one and trying my luck. Glad this is the case. It is worth a risk @ $20 before a trip to the dealer.

It has been awhile since I've been to the forum (2/2016 was my last login lol), so thanks for not blasting me for the lack of a forum search vs. Google.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Someone just had a similar problem in a different thread (Rochester?). The culprit turned out to be the lower clutch switch.

Yeah, it was me, experiencing exactly this problem. The switch costs $20 at your Dealership. Installation is very simple, just awkward to access.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...g-problem.html

Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Sython

Originally Posted by Rochester

Yeah, it was me, experiencing exactly this problem. The switch costs $20 at your Dealership. Installation is very simple, just awkward to access.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...g-problem.html

Today I ordered it online @ Advance Auto. They said it was in stock...rolled in to get it and was gone? Weak.

Just got the OEM piece. 25325D400E is the part # for those who find this via search. $18 if I pick it up at the dealer. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by Sython; 01-11-2017 at 09:23 PM.