Sponsored By:

Slight odor on startup - New Cabin Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 04:09 PM
GLife14
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Slight odor on startup - New Cabin Air filter

Recently had my cabin filter replaced due to it being approx 3yrs old... Did not have any odors or anything. But after replacement I am noticing a slight odor that appears when I first start the car after sitting (usually first time after many hours or overnight) then goes away. Strange how this would happen with a new filter and never occurred with a 3 year old one. This usually happens once a day. Not a disturbing odor but still a odor.

Some have said to turn off the A/C before turning of the car...

Have others experienced odors with a new filter?
Old 01-10-2017, 04:14 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
maybe the old filters were clogged and filtering out the bad A/C smell better than the new filters?

What I notice is that Infinti doesn't know how to make a climate system that doesn't stink. Even having the A/C off and the fan running. The A/C still stinks at startup.

On my CRV, I don't have to do anything. No smell at all no matter what.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:33 PM
NCG37910

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been actually having the same problem. Not every time I start up the car but frequent enough to notice. I've had my car about a year and have not replaced the cabin filter but will be looking into asap. I'd be interested to see how many others have had this issue and if/how it has been resolved.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
i blasted Lysol in the intakes by the windshield.

probably need to do it again in the spring.

"Buy a bottle of lysol antiseptic spray. Start your car, turn on the A/C system full blast, and make sure it's set to pull air from the outside (the recirculate button should be off). Finally, roll down all the windows. Then, start spraying the lysol into the exterior air vents between your hood and your windshield. I'd spray for 20-30 seconds, wait a minute, then repeat until about 10 minutes have gone by. Then I would let the air conditioner run with the windows down for at least another 10 minutes before shutting down.

If thisdoesn't work (and it won't always work), your dealership can try a foaming system cleaner sold by BG products. While some people say that this stuff is no better than lysol, I have seen it work when lysol didn't."
Old 01-11-2017, 11:08 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Stuff a couple dryer sheets on the far side of the cabin filter.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by kushp14
Recently had my cabin filter replaced due to it being approx 3yrs old... Did not have any odors or anything. But after replacement I am noticing a slight odor that appears when I first start the car after sitting (usually first time after many hours or overnight) then goes away. Strange how this would happen with a new filter and never occurred with a 3 year old one. This usually happens once a day. Not a disturbing odor but still a odor.

Some have said to turn off the A/C before turning of the car...

Have others experienced odors with a new filter?
Three years yuk

Why don't you do it yourself once a year?

Only a few screws to lower the glove box

Telcoman
Old 01-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Davefromaine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happened to me when I bought my used '09. The previous owner was a non-smoker, but I did notice an odd smell coming from the vents. Not from a smoker - more like sour A/C. I changed my cabin filter and no help, so that's when I found that same Lysol spray in the air intake method. I ended up going to an autoparts store and buying an aerosol can made for car A/C that kills the bacteria. Worked like a charm and I have a happy spouse again.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM
GLife14
Registered Member

Originally Posted by telcoman
Three years yuk

Why don't you do it yourself once a year?

Only a few screws to lower the glove box

Telcoman
I just purchased it but I may end up DIY from now on...
Old 01-11-2017, 03:32 PM
GLife14
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Landshark
i blasted Lysol in the intakes by the windshield.

probably need to do it again in the spring.

"Buy a bottle of lysol antiseptic spray. Start your car, turn on the A/C system full blast, and make sure it's set to pull air from the outside (the recirculate button should be off). Finally, roll down all the windows. Then, start spraying the lysol into the exterior air vents between your hood and your windshield. I'd spray for 20-30 seconds, wait a minute, then repeat until about 10 minutes have gone by. Then I would let the air conditioner run with the windows down for at least another 10 minutes before shutting down.

If thisdoesn't work (and it won't always work), your dealership can try a foaming system cleaner sold by BG products. While some people say that this stuff is no better than lysol, I have seen it work when lysol didn't."
Going to attempt this
Old 01-16-2017, 08:22 PM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Had this EXACT same issue when I replaced mine at one time. It eventually wore off. I think it has to do with the material of the replacement "airing out".

It should smell like some chemicals, but it should smell like butt.