G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Where do you get slap on the stillen carb sticker for smog?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:56 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Where do you get slap on the stillen carb sticker for smog?

Hey Guys,

I've gone to multiple smog places now in orange county, and everyone is basically saying what i have for the Stillen gen 3 intake is not good enough.

They say they want a metallic, or some kind of plaque sticker on the intake to get it pass the visual smogged inspection.

What i have a the EO D-436-21 "copy" of the paper work, and some cheap sticker saying this number without the part number. I had 2 of these stickers, the 1st sticker is long gone now. Its just a tabbed sticker you can buy from staples and print on. The 2nd one (backup), they won't take it due to it being too easy to falsify.

1) Where do you usually stick this sticker on in the engine bay? Do you stick it at on the tube? Stick it at the sensor location to hide it a bit?

2)Does anyone know if Stillen has some kind of better quality carb sticker?

3) Maybe, does anyone know a Stillen friendly smog shop in the OC?
Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
You can always go to stillen and ask them for a copy of their carb cert. I am sure they have to provide it all the time. I went there once on a tuning day. It was nice to meet other gearheads. Supposedly there are a few places around Santa Ana that are more friendly.

Last time my car was smogged, it was a small shop in Laguna Niguel off Niguel and Crown Valley. They charge around 40-50. It is where a carwash is. You can try there, the guy seems pretty okay.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:58 PM
steven92

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
That's strange. I've done some research on the whole smog thing since I'm moving to Cali this spring and need my intakes to pass smog inspections as well. I believe you should just go to a different shop and if they give you a hard time, they can simply look up the EO number for the Stillen intakes, visualize that it corresponds with what you have installed, and you should be good to go. Just make sure your EO sticker is placed out in the open, such as on the black plastic radiator shroud.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:23 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

The EO sticker, are you suppose to put that on the intake part? seems out of place to place it on the radiator shroud, but that be much nicer.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 AM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
i was told the EO sticker had to be on the actual part itself. i put mine on the piping and have never had an issue.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:56 AM
steven92

I believe it should be out in plain site. I would just call stillen and confirm, or even contact a smog shop. Some people put it on the strut tower.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=6891
Where is the CARB Sticker Suppose to be put? - Ford Shelby GT500 Forum

This is a typical carb sticker for people that don't know wtf we're talking about

Old 01-10-2017, 12:05 PM
masterdukill
Registered Member

The stillen smog sticker is just a 1x3 paper print out label. (like https://www.amazon.com/MFLABEL-Sheet...ords=1x3+label) Something you can do at home.

It only stays stillen & the EO#. Doesn't have the part# tagged on it. That picture is a more metallic legit label that i'm looking for.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:01 PM
steven92

Originally Posted by masterdukill
The stillen smog sticker is just a 1x3 paper print out label. (like https://www.amazon.com/MFLABEL-Sheet...ords=1x3+label) Something you can do at home.

It only stays stillen & the EO#. Doesn't have the part# tagged on it. That picture is a more metallic legit label that i'm looking for.
Check out a different shop. The part numbers do not have to be on the intake system. As long as the EO number is visible you should be good.

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/d...o/D-436-21.pdf
Old 01-15-2017, 11:13 PM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

Just an update, I found out it was best & acceptable to stick the sticker next to the emission label. In this case, it was on the left side of the hood (above the battery).
The following users liked this post:
steven92 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 06:41 PM
steven92

Hey Guys,

Just an update, I found out it was best & acceptable to stick the sticker next to the emission label. In this case, it was on the left side of the hood (above the battery).

Did you pass the smog inspection?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:46 PM
masterdukill
Registered Member

Originally Posted by steven92
Did you pass the smog inspection?
I'm going to find out this weekend. I need to fix 1 PCV tube so i can pass visual the inspection. On that same note, does anyone know where to easily buy the 5/8th PVC hose (not heater hose). The PCV versions do not have braids on on the inside. They are solid rubber. I have a spare one, but its going to be sketchy putting it in.

Stillen has directions of placing the sticker next to the emissions labels, or at the rear of engine compartment on firewall.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 AM
steven92

I'm going to find out this weekend. I need to fix 1 PCV tube so i can pass visual the inspection. On that same note, does anyone know where to easily buy the 5/8th PVC hose (not heater hose). The PCV versions do not have braids on on the inside. They are solid rubber. I have a spare one, but its going to be sketchy putting it in.

Stillen has directions of placing the sticker next to the emissions labels, or at the rear of engine compartment on firewall.
Tell us where you end up going

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chi...0196692:dunno:
Old 01-22-2017, 02:50 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

I got the car smog & passed @ "Smog of Orange county" in Costa Mesa. The guy was nice & informative, but he is also very picky about stuff on the car. Can't blame the guy for being picky, he is going strictly by the book.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 AM
steven92

What was he picky about?
Old 01-25-2017, 01:39 AM
masterdukill
Registered Member

He was checking out all the hoses, and making sure that they are the right type.. PVC vs heater hose. Also tugged on some to make sure its not broken.. but i think the hoses are old, and those tugs could of broke them.

Checked out the gas cap. Checked out the catalytics to make sure its right, went to count them, and validated it against the book. Also was picky about the carb sticker b/c it didn't say part number on it, so he was iffy matching it up with the intakes. I had to talk him into looking at the description on the EO to show that it did match.