Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

I need help!!! power loss!???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 01:06 AM
gbenz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help!!! power loss!???

Hi all!

If anyone can help me with this. Thanks!

2013 G3s 6mt
91 octane gas
All Stock except K&N replacement filter.

Today as I was driving on the freeway, my car lost power. What i mean by that is when I would step on the throttle or floor it the response was little to nothing at all. RPM would climb but very slow as if it did not want to move forward. It was traffic and I was able to try every gear with the same result. I get to work and parked the car for 6 hours. I did not start the car and drove until after work. Drove home and the car seems okay, like nothing happened?

I've been fortunate here to find solutions when I needed one by searching. But this time, I am stumped!!! I tried searching and read few past threads about our knock sensors? and maybe my clutch going bad might be the cause of it. If anyone can chime in or has/had past experience similar to what i've described it will be really appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:12 AM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
any check engine lights? any work done recently?
Old 09-03-2016, 01:23 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
I'm going to guess its either a bad cam sensor or a faulty throttle body. I really hope it gets fixed quickly. Keep us posted.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:26 AM
gbenz

Originally Posted by hurleyguys
any check engine lights? any work done recently?
Sorry forgot to mention it. No cel lights, thats why I am really thrown off by this. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2016, 01:28 AM
gbenz

Originally Posted by kennyz424
I'm going to guess its either a bad cam sensor or a faulty throttle body.
Thanks Kenny!, I'll look in to it and I have all weekend to clean or check what I can. I read it can also be the MAF sensor.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:46 PM
Blade Runner
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Having the same problem with my IPL. Feels fine for a week or so, then randomly it runs slow like I'm pulling a camper. This issue will continue till I turn the car off. Took it to the dealer and they find nothing. No weird noises or warning lights. I had the MAF sensor changed recently due to a stalling issue, but no other recent work. Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Blade Runner
Having the same problem with my IPL. Feels fine for a week or so, then randomly it runs slow like I'm pulling a camper. This issue will continue till I turn the car off. Took it to the dealer and they find nothing. No weird noises or warning lights. I had the MAF sensor changed recently due to a stalling issue, but no other recent work. Any ideas?
i would check the accelerator pedal. dealer was probably not able to duplicate your complaint and the pedal does not always trip fault codes. i've replaced plenty of accelerator pedals on mbz vehicles at the dealer for lack of acceleration issues. not stating this is the exact issue with your car since theres no way for me to physically test or duplicate your complaint. good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Blade Runner (01-13-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2017, 09:32 PM
gbenz

Since my last post, have not found any solution. Still happens out of the blue and my fix has been just pulling over and restarting the car. Been to dealer twice, cleaned maf, throttle body and intake filters with no solid results. I dont have stalling issues and never thrown a code. It's been about a month since last occurance.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:56 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gbenz
Since my last post, have not found any solution. Still happens out of the blue and my fix has been just pulling over and restarting the car. Been to dealer twice, cleaned maf, throttle body and intake filters with no solid results. I dont have stalling issues and never thrown a code. It's been about a month since last occurance.

i suggested to bladerunner about looking into his "accelerator pedal" perhaps you might want to do the same. maf measures the volume of air entering the air duct which provides input to pcm for fuel regulation, so cleaning that is not going to help you accelerate faster. a dirty throtttle body is not going to prevent you for accelerating unless the damn thing is stuck closed. the accelerator pedal is what tells the throttle body to open. so hence look into that component.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:59 AM
gbenz

Originally Posted by crookncastle
i suggested to bladerunner about looking into his "accelerator pedal" perhaps you might want to do the same. maf measures the volume of air entering the air duct which provides input to pcm for fuel regulation, so cleaning that is not going to help you accelerate faster. a dirty throtttle body is not going to prevent you for accelerating unless the damn thing is stuck closed. the accelerator pedal is what tells the throttle body to open. so hence look into that component.
Thanks! Any hint what i should be looking for? Anyway i would know to confirm its the pedal? Or just replace it?
Old 01-16-2017, 01:57 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gbenz
Thanks! Any hint what i should be looking for? Anyway i would know to confirm its the pedal? Or just replace it?
do you have a proper scan tool that can read the voltage of the potentiometer sensor in the accelerator pedal? there are certain voltage reading specs for no throttle, half, and full throttle from the pedal. if those readings are off for the accelerator pedal then you would need to replace it. or if you have a spare accelerator pedal from a friends car then swap it into yours and go for a road test.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:05 AM
xmajd92
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I've had this issue only once in my 7AT on manual mode. Pulled over, did an ECU reset using the pedal technique instead of disconnecting the battery and hasn't happened since. Not sure if it'll work on your 6MT but worth a try.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Blade Runner
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
The dealer reset my ECU and updated all my software. That worked for about 2 weeks before it happened again. I've had it back for a week and no issues so far, but I'm sure its going to happen again. Last time it was about a month between incidents. I noted when it happens, that even in neutral the engine revs very slowly, and that translates to slow acceleration on the road. gbenz, did you notice the same thing?
Old 01-25-2017, 02:05 PM
MNfiniti
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Mine just started doing this same thing the other day! Mine will run fine, then lug and chug like a clutch let out wrong ( i have a 7AT ) when starting from a stop, then suddenly run fine again. A few times, I go to accelerate to highway speeds, and there's absolutely nothing! It takes like 3 miles to get up to 55mph, then suddenly it's fine again.

I'm really thinking it's the pedal...
Old 01-27-2017, 01:01 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
I don't think it is the pedal. It has 2 position sensors and they are crossed checked to ensure the output signal is validated. And difference will IMMEDIATELY set a code.

Quick Reply: I need help!!! power loss!???