Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

HELP 2009 G37S 3rd gear grind

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:41 AM
ABg
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP 2009 G37S 3rd gear grind

I have a 2009 G37S with 81,000 miles. I'll never grind when I'm driving slow, or calmly, or when I shift at a normal speed. When I'm doing a wide openthrottle pull and shift fast at redline in 2nd into 3rd I get a grind every time. Clutch is going down all the way. It doesn't grind when I go slowly into the gear. Synchro problem?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Yeah, synchro or clutch pressure which would point to the slave cylinder or master cylinder.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:51 AM
ABg
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Yeah, synchro or clutch pressure which would point to the slave cylinder or master cylinder.
Damnit. Just got the car 3 weeks ago hahaha. Luckily I got the extended warranty!
Old 06-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Kris9884

Originally Posted by ABg
Damnit. Just got the car 3 weeks ago hahaha. Luckily I got the extended warranty!
Boom, pay your nominal deductible and have a new trans installed! Just take a tech with you and show them how/when it grinds. The sooner the better though, if you wait too long they might be able to blame it on you or something? Warranties can be finicky with a ton of loopholes to benefit them.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:53 AM
supreme
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
If you just got the car, you may still be learning the touchiness of the gearbox.

It took me forever (still perfecting) to learn the shifting. I thought something was wrong with my syncros too because it always "hit" when shifting. Figured I was shifting too fast, and not letting it "fall" into place.

It also may be as simple as a tranny fluid change. Check your color on it, and go from there. This car is a MF'r to perfect in shifting. Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:09 AM
ABg
Registered Member

Originally Posted by supreme
If you just got the car, you may still be learning the touchiness of the gearbox.

It took me forever (still perfecting) to learn the shifting. I thought something was wrong with my syncros too because it always "hit" when shifting. Figured I was shifting too fast, and not letting it "fall" into place.

It also may be as simple as a tranny fluid change. Check your color on it, and go from there. This car is a MF'r to perfect in shifting. Hope this helps.
Yes it it very much an unforgiving tranny!! I just find it weird that I can bang gears in my freinds 350z's, and RSXS and have 0 issues. Its really ONLY 3rd in this car. I can bang into 2nd all day no issue. I think it also could be me shifted too far to the side in the gear. Since the 2nd to 3rd shift isn't a straight shift I could maybe not being going in straight forward. Somtimes it's a quick grind, long grind, or no grind.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Kris9884

Weird, I haven't heard of this being an issue from anyone else, and this is a very common tranny for 2JZ/1UZ drifter guys etc.. I doubt this is a common issue.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:54 AM
nogoer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not so sure you're going to get a dealer to replace the tranny just because it grinds when your bashing on the car. If theres no grinding during normal driving they won't do anything. Being an 09 you just got that prob means your warranty is one of those 3rd party bs ones that aren't worth the paper they're printed on. That is unless you somehow got infiniti to do a CPO warranty on a 7 year old car

That being said i doubt the tranny or CSC is bad if you're only seeing the problem under hard driving. Most likely you just aren't used to the car yet and while you think you're spot on shifting you aren't in actuality. Truth is it's very easy to grind gears when your having some fun under spirited driving and paying more attention to the vroom then the shifting.

My 08 has 87k on it and i have no problems with grinds under spirited or calm driving. I do have issues getting back into first if im going to fast. Usually have to come to a full stop to cleanly get into first.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Kris9884

Originally Posted by nogoer
I'm not so sure you're going to get a dealer to replace the tranny just because it grinds when your bashing on the car. If theres no grinding during normal driving they won't do anything. Being an 09 you just got that prob means your warranty is one of those 3rd party bs ones that aren't worth the paper they're printed on. That is unless you somehow got infiniti to do a CPO warranty on a 7 year old car

That being said i doubt the tranny or CSC is bad if you're only seeing the problem under hard driving. Most likely you just aren't used to the car yet and while you think you're spot on shifting you aren't in actuality. Truth is it's very easy to grind gears when your having some fun under spirited driving and paying more attention to the vroom then the shifting.

My 08 has 87k on it and i have no problems with grinds under spirited or calm driving. I do have issues getting back into first if im going to fast. Usually have to come to a full stop to cleanly get into first.

I'd say that's pretty standard. I have always been forced to be going like 10mph or less to get back into first.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:14 PM
ABg
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nogoer

Well it's an extended warranty to 160k miles or a year limit which I forgot. I think 6 years. Just with a $100 deductible I am good at any Infiniti or Nissan dealership according to my salesman.... but yeah my 1st is sorta a pain to get into moving any faster than 5. I'm usually not trying to get into 1st unless I'm stopped anyways. All my buddy's with different manual cars all say the same thing.

Another thing... should I be considered if my transmission/clutch/I think synchro's are all loud and hearable. Also throw out bearing. I know Nissans are notorious for loud throw out bearings.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:41 PM
Kris9884

Here's the trick. Take it to a separate Nissan/Infiniti dealer that you didn't buy it from. Say you're hearing some noise and grinding issues while shifting and would like an estimate for repairs. DONT MENTION warranty, pretend youre prepared to pay cash and get it done.... Once they're done, if they find anything it'll all be listed there for you. If you see the trans or internal parts listed. Take it back to where you bought it and ask for the repairs to be done under warranty. This way, if the mechanic is lazy and doesn't want to do it, it wont be up to him to decide what needs attention.

Remember, it may not be a big issue right now, but it will almost always get worse and be a problem later. Make sure it gets done now while its convenient and not down the road when your stranded on your way to work and likely out of warranty.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:43 PM
ABg
Registered Member

Here's the trick. Take it to a separate Nissan/Infiniti dealer that you didn't buy it from. Say you're hearing some noise and grinding issues while shifting and would like an estimate for repairs. DONT MENTION warranty, pretend youre prepared to pay cash and get it done.... Once they're done, if they find anything it'll all be listed there for you. If you see the trans or internal parts listed. Take it back to where you bought it and ask for it to get done under warranty. This way, if the mechanic is lazy and doesn't want to do it, it wont be up to him.

Remember, just because its not a big issue right now, it will almost always get worse and be a problem later. Make sure it gets done now while its convenient and not down the road when your stranded on your way to work and likely out of warranty.
Well I bought the car in Atlanta and I actually live in Kansas. Thats the main reason I got the extended warranty. I have one Nissan dealership in my city and they that they would have "diagnostic fees" probably costing $50-$100
Old 06-17-2016, 06:18 PM
Kris9884

Originally Posted by ABg
Well I bought the car in Atlanta and I actually live in Kansas. Thats the main reason I got the extended warranty. I have one Nissan dealership in my city and they that they would have "diagnostic fees" probably costing $50-$100
Well, all things considered that's a small price to pay to get proof that you need repairs OR proof that you are just nuts and the car is fine .. $100 now is better than $1000's later.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:20 PM
ABg
Registered Member

Well, all things considered that's a small price to pay to get proof that you need repairs OR proof that you are just nuts and the car is fine .. $100 now is better than $1000's later.
Very true. I'm hoping I'm just nuts. Car drives great and that's the only issue is that 3rd gear grind that only happens somtimes.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:15 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Kris, as soon as the infiniti dealer runs the vin they'll know it's covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: HELP 2009 G37S 3rd gear grind