Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

I may have killed my G

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Gdangit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may have killed my G

'08 G37S coupe 6mt. Original owner. Paid it off a year ago. Just threw a nice Southbend Stage 2 clutch kit in it like 3-4 months ago, along with nice new diff bushings and radiator hoses. It's given me 85k trouble-free miles. I love this car. Love it so much... I apparently starved it of oil recently

I've been doing oil changes at roughly 5k intervals. Full synthetic. I'll admit that I hadn't checked my oil since my last change (I usually always did in the past), which was 5,500 miles ago. The last couple of weeks have featured some stupid hot days... and some hard driving. A week-ish ago, I noticed a new sound coming from *somewhere* - a sort of brief flapping sound that would only present itself for a couple minutes (when pulling out of my house in first and then second gear) after a cold start.

Good grief, I don't know why I ignored it! But I did. Last Friday, the engine just died on me about 2 blocks from my house. No dummy warning light, no limp mode - just died. Car would crank for 4-5 secs, but would not turn over. Had it towed to my mechanic. I'm low 2.5 quarts of oil, plus radiator fluid reservoir was near empty. Diagnostic computer shows P0340. We order a new camshaft sensor... thing is, when we remove the sensor, the car starts up just fine in limp mode, engine sounds fine too. Anyway, we got the new sensor, installed it, but it doesn't help.

Filled and drained oil a couple times. He sees "fine dust" aluminum - not a lot, but enough that he's concerned. Believes the engine has jumped timing and/or possibly a cam sprocket came loose. Says he can't make either determination for sure without removing the front of the motor. So that would be 6 hours of labor just to get a good view of the situation. Replacing sprocket and/or chain at that point would be an additional 8 hours of labor, plus parts. That's the same amount of labor (14 hours) to R&R the engine - of course, a full r&r would be a lot more costly (like $4-5k for a good used/reman one, or like $10-11k for a new one!? )

I don't know what I'm even looking to accomplish by posting this. I'm sad, angry and confused. Don't know what I should do. I see G37s with less miles going for as low as $14-15k now - wtf! Been driving this car for 7 years... ready for a change, I guess, but wow does this suck. What would you do in this situation? Any alternate options at this point from a diagnostic perspective?
Old 07-07-2015, 06:40 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdangit
'08 G37S coupe 6mt. Original owner. Paid it off a year ago. Just threw a nice Southbend Stage 2 clutch kit in it like 3-4 months ago, along with nice new diff bushings and radiator hoses. It's given me 85k trouble-free miles. I love this car. Love it so much... I apparently starved it of oil recently

I've been doing oil changes at roughly 5k intervals. Full synthetic. I'll admit that I hadn't checked my oil since my last change (I usually always did in the past), which was 5,500 miles ago. The last couple of weeks have featured some stupid hot days... and some hard driving. A week-ish ago, I noticed a new sound coming from *somewhere* - a sort of brief flapping sound that would only present itself for a couple minutes (when pulling out of my house in first and then second gear) after a cold start.

Good grief, I don't know why I ignored it! But I did. Last Friday, the engine just died on me about 2 blocks from my house. No dummy warning light, no limp mode - just died. Car would crank for 4-5 secs, but would not turn over. Had it towed to my mechanic. I'm low 2.5 quarts of oil, plus radiator fluid reservoir was near empty. Diagnostic computer shows P0340. We order a new camshaft sensor... thing is, when we remove the sensor, the car starts up just fine in limp mode, engine sounds fine too. Anyway, we got the new sensor, installed it, but it doesn't help.

Filled and drained oil a couple times. He sees "fine dust" aluminum - not a lot, but enough that he's concerned. Believes the engine has jumped timing and/or possibly a cam sprocket came loose. Says he can't make either determination for sure without removing the front of the motor. So that would be 6 hours of labor just to get a good view of the situation. Replacing sprocket and/or chain at that point would be an additional 8 hours of labor, plus parts. That's the same amount of labor (14 hours) to R&R the engine - of course, a full r&r would be a lot more costly (like $4-5k for a good used/reman one, or like $10-11k for a new one!? )

I don't know what I'm even looking to accomplish by posting this. I'm sad, angry and confused. Don't know what I should do. I see G37s with less miles going for as low as $14-15k now - wtf! Been driving this car for 7 years... ready for a change, I guess, but wow does this suck. What would you do in this situation? Any alternate options at this point from a diagnostic perspective?
Sorry to hear about that, this thread may be of help, he found a decent Z motor for around $2k
https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...es-thread.html
Old 07-07-2015, 06:42 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
'

I don't know what I'm even looking to accomplish by posting this. I'm sad, angry and confused. Don't know what I should do.

What would you do in this situation? Any alternate options at this point from a diagnostic perspective?
Sorry to hear what happened to you but checking oil frequently cannot be stressed enough. When the warning light comes on it is too late.

I had a similar situation with my 66 VW Beedle purchased new while stationed in Germany. I shipped my beloved VW back to NY.
A couple of years later while on the Grand Central Parkway there was a loud clash and the engine died.
I had the vehicle towed to the nearest VW dealer. A valve had broken and fell into a cylinder requiring a engine rebuild.

The dealer gave me $500.00 towards a trade in on a brand new 69 VW that cost $2060.00. So for $1500 out of pocket I had a brand new VW.

I don't think you are going to get away that cheap today but give a dealer a shot. I don't think its worth spending a ton of money on an old vehicle.

Just my $.02

Good luck

Telcoman
Old 07-07-2015, 06:45 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
..... I love this car. Love it so much... ...
nuff said... new stronger motor is in order.. cheaper ordeal than a new car.. even used..
Old 07-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Gdangit

I'd be happy with another solid year or two out of this car. What makes this decision tough is that there's a chance this engine can serve me another couple years if I replace the cam sprocket and likely timing chain(s) (not to mention frequent oil/filter change intervals).

However, if I do decide to R&R, what are my options with the old engine? Can I sell it to a rebuilder or something? Surely there's some value to recoup from it, no?

And beyond the VQ37VHR, what other engine options exist? A VQ35HR from a 350z will work, apparently? Anything more ballsy than the VQ37 by chance?

Thanks for your time. And yes, I know how pathetic I look right now.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:04 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Dude you made a mistake. It happens to the best of us. I know it sucks as$ but there's nothing to be gained by beating yourself up over it now.

Nor by other members telling you how much it should be stressed on oil changes...sheesh.

There is a nice way to help someone without mentioning their mistakes over again as if they haven't already learned this lesson for life.

Keep your head up buddy. Something will end up going your way and you'll be smarter and better after this storm has passed. Remember nothing gets thrown at us that is too much for us to handle.

Last edited by Redfire32; 07-08-2015 at 02:17 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Redfire32:
blnewt (07-08-2015), properdropper (07-08-2015), sLADe781 (07-08-2015), squarehead (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 07:43 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Good luck .... we all feel your pain.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 AM
akiradavis

Wishing good luck to you stranger. I know how it feels to lose a car you love.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:55 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Coming from a fellow G owner....I completely understand why you love this car.

BMW's, Benz's, Audi's, they dont do anything for me. The G is amazing and such a visceral car. There's no rawness like the G.

Anyways, i say this because you will not be happy in another car unless its your G or another new G.

If you truly love your personal car so much, dont bother patching it up with band aids or attempt to throw money at replacing parts. J

Just get your baby a fresh new engine and have your insurance pay for it. Thats what insurance is for. If youve never made a claim in the last 4-5 years of driving, you will be good.

If you dont wanna go thru insurance and you got 3-4K laying around, then cough up the 3-4K and put a freshie in your baby. It will serve you another 2-3 years EASY.

Now, if you want something new but still want a G, you can lease a 2015 Q60 6MT for about 350 a month right now. They have STUPID aggressive deals going on for them right now. You will put out about 900 out of pocket max.

The first option is probably the smartest in terms of finances....

The second option....will have you a BRAND NEW G....but you will now inquire a monthly payment.

Its possible you can sell your G shell without an engine for 10,000.

10,000 will pay off a 2 year lease and then some. And youll have a brand new baby.

Decisions ....Decisions....
Old 07-08-2015, 10:23 AM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
At least you understand where the fault lies, 95% of the public would be posting something like: Infiniti is $hit, I drive the car with no oil and no coolant for 6000 miles and the engine breaks, what kind of BS is that?
The following users liked this post:
guy from norcal (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

There's the love from the real members on here that I like so much!!! Thanks Blnewt, Squarehead, 2008G-man, akiradavis, chillibowl, serega13, and guy from NorCal.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:43 PM
slotterjordan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an FWI if you changed you clutch set up. Be prepared to buy new slave cylinders. I'm currently dropping my transmissions on my 08 6mt g37 because my slave cylinder kept breaking due to the after market clutch kit I put in. So I bought a external slave conversions that bolts to the side of the transmission instead of a internal slave . It's a whole new design for the slave cylinder system. Because the stock plastic slaves are pieces of junk . So just a FYI for future stuff if you decided you're keeping your car.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Randy Johnson
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by serega13
At least you understand where the fault lies, 95% of the public would be posting something like: Infiniti is $hit, I drive the car with no oil and no coolant for 6000 miles and the engine breaks, what kind of BS is that?
That would be me^^^

Seriously, I'd at least pull the motor apart to see what is messed up. I'd then find a replacement motor if needed and do all the labor myself.

Or you could run it down a hill into a tree and report it to the insurance.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:14 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Originally Posted by Randy Johnson
That would be me^^^

Seriously, I'd at least pull the motor apart to see what is messed up. I'd then find a replacement motor if needed and do all the labor myself.

Or you could run it down a hill into a tree and report it to the insurance.
Lol that's one option
Old 07-08-2015, 06:06 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Really really sorry to hear about what happened. Something like that would seriously break any of our hearts. =(

I am curious though as to how your oil got so low? I know oil gets burned but it just seems like a lot of oil was lost for just 5,500 miles? Do you have a leak somewhere maybe?

Regardless, I hope things get better for you. Keep us updated on what you decide to do. Good luck bro!

Quick Reply: I may have killed my G