Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Leaky Window Fix - Long Term Problems?

Old 04-20-2015, 01:19 PM
screamatamonkey
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky Window Fix - Long Term Problems?

So, I know a common problem around here is the front window corner leaking water onto the tweeter/into the door sill. Well I came across this thread and am happy to report that it does indeed fix the problem:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ore-leaks.html

When I performed this adjustment, what the mechanical "fix" actually does is adjust the window stops so the window will roll up higher. (I forgot to take a picture of the stops, but I'll be sure to next time I'm in the door).

There are 2 stops for each window - one in front, and one in back - each topped with a grey, plastic looking "stop." When the window rolls up, if you listen (especially with the interior door panel off) you can hear the stop hit the top of the inside of the door and signal the regulator to stop moving the window. Adjusting the two screws described in the url above either raises (by tightening) or lowers (by loosening) the stops, allowing the window to roll up more or less, depending on your adjustment needs. (Pretty handy).

Now, here comes some questions.

1. In my car (2011 S coupe) I noticed that only one of the stops seemed to be hitting (the one closest to the rear of the car). Has anyone else noticed this phenomena?

2. To fix the leak I had in the front corner, my idea was to lower the rear stop, effectively raising the window and allowing the front corner to seal completely. In doing this, my window rolls up and seals against the door seal snug as f**k, but I'm wondering if this added resistance to the window motor (having to press against the door seal a little harder every time it rolls up) is going to shorten the life of my window motor?

-As an aside, I guess I also want to know if anyone here has had a problem with their window glass becoming "unlevel" (higher in either the front or the back than it should be) and if there's any way to adjust, or re-level, the glass. I also apologize for such a long post, lol
Old 04-20-2015, 02:17 PM
properdropper

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
i thought my G was the only one with the leak lol
Old 04-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Nope mine leaks too a 08 g37s coupe. Every time I go to the car wash or it rains heavily I get water coming through down to the tweeter it's so annoying, heard other people say the same thing
Old 04-28-2015, 12:48 PM
I_am_J5
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same goes here. 09' G37S coupe. I get it from both sides, although the driver's side leaks more.

However, about a week before the expiration of my bumper to bumper warranty, I complained to the service manager about the leak and they offered to replace the entire weatherstripping and molding around the window. It stopped the leak for about 2 years but I started noticing some streaks recently from a few days of heavy rain.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:36 AM
trippingjimmi

I thought I was the only one! The dealership replaced all the weather stripping around the windows, but it did absolutely nothing. Then they had this idea to shove some cotton ***** or something into the weather stripping, to bolster it up where the leak occurs....again, nothing.

I have to put tissues into the window when I go for a car wash. And highway wind noise is brutal
Old 05-02-2015, 06:12 PM
moteel

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the same problem on 2011 G37S Couple. When I get lazy and go to the car wash, I use a bounty paper towel folded and place on the driver's side rubber molding, yeah it works.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:12 PM
sleestak25

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok - Can I just tell you an easy fix? I had the exact same problem on the passenger side. The weather stripping in the top corner is split where the window fits through, right? All I did was use electrical tape to bind it back together and literally it fixed the problem! Going on three months and no leaks. I check it now and then when I remember and just pinch it together (just in case). Hasn't leaked since! I'll be damned if I'm taking the door apart to fix this much less paying Infiniti $300 to replace it! '08 G37S coupe
The following users liked this post:
bikerjosh (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 10:48 AM
screamatamonkey
Registered Member

Can you post a picture of your fix?
Old 07-17-2015, 11:20 AM
properdropper

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sleestak25
Ok - Can I just tell you an easy fix? I had the exact same problem on the passenger side. The weather stripping in the top corner is split where the window fits through, right? All I did was use electrical tape to bind it back together and literally it fixed the problem! Going on three months and no leaks. I check it now and then when I remember and just pinch it together (just in case). Hasn't leaked since! I'll be damned if I'm taking the door apart to fix this much less paying Infiniti $300 to replace it! '08 G37S coupe
woahwoahwoahwoahowahowaohwoah:biggthu mpup:
Old 11-01-2015, 09:05 AM
lashk
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sleestak25

How about a picture of your fix. Not sure where the tape goes...