G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I found my Blue Slate! Questions before buying!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:35 PM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the reply! The V12's are an issue because I'm moving to Michigan. This car isn't going anywhere with summer tires on up there. At the very least I need all seasons on the car.

At this point they said they could put OEM supplied Yokohama Advan all seasons on the car for an additional $500, mounted and balanced. He said $760 originally and said his GM allowed him to reduce the cost to $500 to help out.

As for the rims, yes they're clean but he also just told me he spent $700 reconditioning them. So that is yet another fault.

And lastly, when I asked him about bringing it to their local infiniti dealership, surprise surprise, its already there for a flashing airbag light that wont go off and he said they're replacing the airbag module as a remedy.

What should I think of that?

Total out the door cost on this vehicle with tax came to 26,250.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedBallDEVIL
Clarendon Hills is only 25-30 min from the dealership whereas Berman's is over an hour and like you said in the city. So I'd be making an appointment at Clarendon Hills if possible.

Still waiting for him to get back to me with the underbody pictures and all.
I bought my G37 from Infiniti of Clarendon Hills, that's why I was asking.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:16 PM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

Okay so here is the scoop.

Since the cars already at Infiniti, I'm calling them tomorrow and paying for a certified pre-owned inspection on the car. This way, I will know essentially everything about the car from a qualified third party that I trust.

If the car is good, I will arrange for a deposit and schedule a flight out there. Under the deposit they can get the tires installed for me and depending on when they get in I will either pick up the car this weekend or the following.

I don't have to install the yokohama advan's but they are the OEM supplied so I figured they were best. I read about people falling in love with the General G-MAX but they are significantly less money. Any recommendations? I can have anything put on the car.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:30 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Okay so here is the scoop.

Since the cars already at Infiniti, I'm calling them tomorrow and paying for a certified pre-owned inspection on the car. This way, I will know essentially everything about the car from a qualified third party that I trust.

If the car is good, I will arrange for a deposit and schedule a flight out there. Under the deposit they can get the tires installed for me and depending on when they get in I will either pick up the car this weekend or the following.

I don't have to install the yokohama advan's but they are the OEM supplied so I figured they were best. I read about people falling in love with the General G-MAX but they are significantly less money. Any recommendations? I can have anything put on the car.
Sounds exciting. Glad to see you are having the car inspected and spending a little of your savings on the car to make sure it's solid and a good buy.

I HIGHLY recommend Continental DWS tires. They are miles better than any other all season tire in the snow, terrific in the wet, and just as good in the dry. It's middle of the road in price, but top quality. Continental owns General and the G Max is a good tire, but the DWS is a superior tire in every category, especially snow, and well worth the extra money. The ride quality is also phenomenal.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:40 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
The best setup is a true summer tire to get the most out of the car April - November, and then a true winter set for winter if the car will be driven in the white stuff. I have the DWS as my "winter" set and they are a great all season, but they are not the same as a winter compound. I leave the G at home if it gets nasty out. That's what the wife's Highlander with winters is for.

My recommendation to the OP is get them to throw on the V12 rears and then search around over the next few months for a great deal for a winter set for next winter. This winter is almost behind us so hopefully you can manage for the next few weeks.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:56 PM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

Here is my plan, they said $760 for new rubber all around installed. Then knocked it down to $500 for any set I want. The Yokohama Advan's are the most expensive but the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's are rated the best on tirerack and have had the most comments here on the forums. Plus they're less expensive!

The best all seasons I've heard generally is the following:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
General G-Max
Continental DWS

I've consistently seen all three mentioned but the Michelin's probably the most. Tire Rack doesn't show the Continental DWS though for a 19" sport wheel. So I might just get the Michelin's then.

THEN, they already told me they cant reuse the Hankook V12's on another vehicle, they dont have the space so they're useless to them. Thats fine because I'll just bring them home with me and possibly use them as a summer tire if I feel the michelin's aren't cutting it :P That or I sell them and make a little money back.

Just hoping the car does well under Infiniti's inspection tomorrow morning.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:51 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by canucklehead
The best setup is a true summer tire to get the most out of the car April - November, and then a true winter set for winter if the car will be driven in the white stuff. I have the DWS as my "winter" set and they are a great all season, but they are not the same as a winter compound. I leave the G at home if it gets nasty out. That's what the wife's Highlander with winters is for.

My recommendation to the OP is get them to throw on the V12 rears and then search around over the next few months for a great deal for a winter set for next winter. This winter is almost behind us so hopefully you can manage for the next few weeks.
It's a little bit of a different ballgame with AWD. I've been driving my AWD G37 coupe with Continental DWS tires and a Lexus IS RWD with Blizzak WS80 tires. My G37 with the all season DWS tires accelerates with much more stability and authority. Around corners and braking there is a slight edge to the RWD IS with Blizzaks, but there is nothing scary about the DWS tires at all and there is no reason either of these tires should be pushed to their limits in adverse weather anyways. The OEM all season tires were scary, I would never drive on those in winter weather again. I could see a RWD G37 (or any RWD car for that matter) having traction issues with the DWS tires, but the AWD system on the X model makes up for that. Winter tires are ideal, but not always the most practical option.

I'd have them buy me the DWS tires in 245/40R19 for a little extra tread width and roughly the same overall diameter.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....DWSXL&i1_Qty=4

Michelin A/S 3's are nice tires, but not great in the snow by any stretch of the imagination if that's a factor in your decision.

Last edited by Ryne; 03-04-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:30 AM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ryne
It's a little bit of a different ballgame with AWD. I've been driving my AWD G37 coupe with Continental DWS tires and a Lexus IS RWD with Blizzak WS80 tires. My G37 with the all season DWS tires accelerates with much more stability and authority. Around corners and braking there is a slight edge to the RWD IS with Blizzaks, but there is nothing scary about the DWS tires at all and there is no reason either of these tires should be pushed to their limits in adverse weather anyways. The OEM all season tires were scary, I would never drive on those in winter weather again. I could see a RWD G37 (or any RWD car for that matter) having traction issues with the DWS tires, but the AWD system on the X model makes up for that. Winter tires are ideal, but not always the most practical option.

I'd have them buy me the DWS tires in 245/40R19 for a little extra tread width and roughly the same overall diameter.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....DWSXL&i1_Qty=4

Michelin A/S 3's are nice tires, but not great in the snow by any stretch of the imagination if that's a factor in your decision.
Do you run these tires on 19" sport wheels on your G or do you have a different style rim?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Do you run these tires on 19" sport wheels on your G or do you have a different style rim?
I ran them on my previous car in 225/40R18 and currently have them on my 20" Forgestar wheels in 255/35R20.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Ontario G37S

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Just looking at the pics, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Typical surface rust on the exhaust from a north eastern car.

I do see what looks like they replaced all the rotors (and hopefully the pads as well). If they refinished the rims, looks like they might have missed one as I could swear I see a scuff on one of them and I think it verified by the initial pics you posted on this thread. As for refinishing them, at least you don't have to worry about it. These rims are notoriously known to scuff as the spokes stick out enough that no tire rim protector will catch a curb first. It doesn't take much to scuff one.

As for the air bag warning light, I'd question that a little more as it sounds like when the body work was done for the minor accident, the sensor was not replaced close to the impact zone. Sure the airbag might not have been justified to deploy, but the impact could have damaged the sensor (going back to my opinion of body shop looking after aesthetics and no mechanical needs). At least a true Infiniti service bay is looking after it.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:40 PM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

The dealership said it was the side airbag module. I'm assuming its either in the B-pillar or under one of the front seats. Since the minor accident reported was from the rear I'd like to think the two are unrelated.

Cars going under CPO inspection as we speak. Cost me $276 so it better be full of details :/
Old 03-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

The dealership said it was the side airbag module. I'm assuming its either in the B-pillar or under one of the front seats. Since the minor accident reported was from the rear I'd like to think the two are unrelated.

Cars going under CPO inspection as we speak. Cost me $276 so it better be full of details :/
Basically they charged you 2 hours of labor. That should be enough time to dig into the car a little bit and see what's going on.

I'm interested for how the report comes back!

Clarendon Hills Infiniti is about 10 minutes from my work, I should drive over there lol.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:06 PM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

Feel free, she's the 2011 blue slate in for side airbag module and CPO inspection :P
Old 03-04-2015, 02:19 PM
araaadi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I couldn't find the oem sizing for my g37s in the continental dws or I would of gotten them 100%, I ended up with the General G-Max and I have zero complains and they are all around amazing tires that are comparable to the continental dws (my brother has them on his g37x)
Old 03-04-2015, 03:47 PM
SpeedBallDEVIL
Registered Member

I decided on the G-Max's. Car checked out and passed CPO inspection. Will be buying it Saturday!

Quick Reply: I found my Blue Slate! Questions before buying!