G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

what other cars did you guys look at before getting your G?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:44 PM
mastapro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what other cars did you guys look at before getting your G?

I've been looking for a while for a G37xS coupe and I'm getting a bit impatient finding the right one. I'm curious what other cars you guys looked at when considering the G? For me:

BMW 328i: looks great, "driver's" car, great performance, luxury brand, maintenance way too high though
Audi A4: looks are so-so, luxury brand, maintenance too high also
Lexus IS250/IS350: very reliable, decent performance, looks too "cheap"(looks exactly like a corrolla to me)

This is why I'm pretty much leaning towards the G but I can't wait too long so I'm looking for other options also.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:03 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by mastapro
I've been looking for a while for a G37xS coupe and I'm getting a bit impatient finding the right one. I'm curious what other cars you guys looked at when considering the G? For me:

BMW 328i: looks great, "driver's" car, great performance, luxury brand, maintenance way too high though
Lexus IS250/IS350: very reliable, decent performance, looks too "cheap"(looks exactly like a corrolla to me)

This is why I'm pretty much leaning towards the G but I can't wait too long so I'm looking for other options also.
BMW 328i: Slow
Audi A4: Slower
Lexus IS250/IS350 : Slowest

There you have it.

Last edited by AroundTheG37; 01-30-2015 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:29 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
M5, E55, Subaru Legacy, WRX, G35 & 335ci

The G35 was hard to find with low enough miles, same with the M5. The Legacy kept coming up auto...the WRX was costing too much in the scheme of things. The damn E55 is ONLY automatic so that pretty much killed that. The idea of near 500hp was very very tempting though. The 335 I found had low mileage which was great, but it was too cheap...made me skeptical. I got such a great deal on my coupe I couldn't pass it up so there ya go
Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Just spread your search a bit wider, you'll find the perfect G for you.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:50 AM
dreaming37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came from an Audi A5 quattro S-line coupe with the 2.0T engine and the sport suspension. Lot's of good things to say about it. But it was a 2010 CPO with the warranty about to expire, and lots of $1000+ things can go wrong with an upscale Audi after 6 years. Other than that, and the turbo lag from a standing start, I loved it. If you can get into a newer one, give it a look.

I also loved the current generation of the BMW 328i. If I'd been able to afford a new one, that would have been my choice. But same problem as the Audi: if you're buying used and it comes off of warranty, it can be a money pit.
I just about gave up on G37, because I wanted a super low miles Lapis blue with beige interior and all the options except the electronics package. Rarer than rare, even nationwide. So when the exact G37 (and I mean EXACT) that I wanted popped up at a dealership 3 miles from my office, I figured it was God's gift and pulled the trigger
Old 01-30-2015, 10:08 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Dodge Charger RT
Cadillac CTS
Lincoln MKS
Ford Mustang
Chevy Camaro

Only the top 3 had enough trunk space. The other two has a decent trunk, but the opening was constricted.

The G37 won in the end. I didn't consider anything German as I can't really afford to maintain those.

I also toyed with the idea of a Lexus, but never got serious enough to look at a specific model.

I also just realized that this is the coupe forum, so trunk space isn't an issue for you. In your case, I'd drive the Mustang and Camaro before making a final decision.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:39 AM
epenbecks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OP did you try cars.com? there where i found my G.

i was looking for FRS and genesis coupe. but for G, you got everything, style, elegant, nice interior+leather, power, RWD+LSD (so you can drift when you have chance LOL)
Old 01-30-2015, 10:40 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
At the risk of getting laughed off the forum .... we were looking at the Altima Coupe to see if it would make the short list. When we test drove one we saw the G37 on the lot and that was the end of that, bought it on the spot. Never considered German as I didn't want maintenance headaches and costs. It's very hard to not buy with your heart but rather your head when you are looking. When I was considering the M, I was actually thinking about a Range Rover ...... glad I didn't :-)
Old 01-30-2015, 11:38 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
dodge challenger srt8 = really bad gas mpg.. I have enough cars with bad mpg

audi a4 = money pit after warranty is up

lexus is350 = was sitting in this car when i spotted the G37 sedan, and that was that ( I do wish i had the 6mt ) but still very happy
Old 01-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Tonewheel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 328i: Ever since BMW changed to electric assist steering, these cars are no longer the "ultimate driving machine". Can't "feel" the road in them.

Audi A4: Pricey to maintain, and puny engine.

Lexus IS250/IS350 : Probably the only Lexus that doesn't resemble driving your living room couch. I laugh when people use the words "sport" and "sedan" in the same sentence when describing a Lexus.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:10 PM
T_Buckets_223

Looked at Honda Accords and Inifiniti G35s before deciding on my G37.. I only test drove g37s though, 3 of them and the 3rd one the price was right. Use cars.com!

Last edited by T_Buckets_223; 01-30-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:29 PM
thestackshow
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was THIS close to buying an 05' Acura TL sedan, but while I was on my way to the dealership to buy it, another person came and bought the car outright with cash and the salesman called me and told me it had been sold.

In hindsight, me and my G were meant to be. Ive had it for one year now and can only recal 1 time that someone has ever been in my backseat. I have absolutely no use for a sedan, I dont even know why I was ever considering it.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:38 PM
South3rn

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Looked at Maxima. Won't buy CVT.
Looked at BMW 3 series. If I was going to buy a commodity it would be a Ford. Here in SW Florida, I don't know how people know WHICH 3 series is theirs.....
Looked at Charger. Nice Big car. But no pretense of being near lux.
Looked at G coupes.....didn't look any further.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:24 PM
BigJack

Originally Posted by mastapro

Yep that is about the same list. I was afraid of the Germans due to maintenance cost also.

Still like the Lex but chose the Infiniti instead. Now I'm wondering 2nd guessing.

I'm not into american cars but what about a Caddy?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:26 PM
skyline_nismo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was originally planning to get a Nissan 370Z, but I ended up with the Infiniti since I felt it was a slightly more practical version of the Z.

Quick Reply: what other cars did you guys look at before getting your G?