Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

SEL maybe because of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 08:18 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by vqsmile
**sigh**

Please observe that this is just your opinion, as many of us would regard reduced engine performance as "an issue".
Many are just wasting money

Telcoman
Old 12-31-2014, 09:17 PM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman

Many are just wasting money

Telcoman
Ughh ...

OoooKaaaaay, but then if it's all about saving every last penny, why the hell didn't the 'non-money wasting' owners buy an economy car or some plush grocery getter and save some serious dough. Why buy a performance sedan only to rob it of its performance in the name of saving a measly $100-200/year? People spend more than that on their stupid latte drinks annually.

I'll just never get this.

Damn, and I swore I wasn't going to get into this lame debate . . . AGAIN!

Originally Posted by slartibartfast

Man, I'm a cranky old fart.
And you're not alone.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:40 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Ughh ...

....Why buy a performance sedan only to rob it of its performance in the name of saving a measly $100-200/year?
Can you define performance for me?
In my case it is more than $100 to $200 per year.

On my recent round trip from NJ to Florida it performed just fine.
On my daily 100 mi round trips to work if performs just fine.

What specific performance are you referring to?

BTW since purchase in Aug 2012 I've used 2323 gallons of regular 87 octane. Multiply that by a very conservative $.30 gal comes to a $696.00 saving. At $.40 gal difference between regular and premium that comes to a $929.00 savings

If zero to sixty allows you to obtain that in a few tenths of a second faster than mine that means nothing to me. I'd rather be putting the $929 towards my next Infiniti.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:59 PM
vqsmile

zero to sixty ... means nothing to me

Thanks, you just proved my point.

For the record, premium fuel runs $.15-.20 more all over the western US, so based on a 20mpg average:
at 10K miles per year, that's just 500 gal. => $ 75 - $100
at 15k miles per year, that's just 750 gal. => $113 - $150
at 20k miles per year, that's just 1000 gal =>$150 - $200

If you only average 18mpg, just add 10% to those numbers, if you average 22mpg, then deduct 10%.

/debate

(for me anyway, I'm out)
Old 01-01-2015, 08:17 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Thanks, you just proved my point.

For the record, premium fuel runs $.15-.20 more all over the western US, so based on a 20mpg average:
at 10K miles per year, that's just 500 gal. => $ 75 - $100
at 15k miles per year, that's just 750 gal. => $113 - $150
at 20k miles per year, that's just 1000 gal =>$150 - $200

If you only average 18mpg, just add 10% to those numbers, if you average 22mpg, then deduct 10%.

/debate

(for me anyway, I'm out)
And your point was?

NJ has low gas prices as compared to many other states

Quite a difference between regular and premium

Name:  2014-122914MyPictures122914-035_zps84cef712.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  54.6 KB

For those that accelerate sharply from zero to sixty every time a light turns green they should not complain about MPG.

You can get maximum performance or reasonably good MPG using 87 octane but not both.
I prefer good MPG and a lower cost

Telcoman
Old 01-01-2015, 09:38 PM
vqsmile

And your point was?

For those that accelerate sharply from zero to sixty every time a light turns green they should not complain about MPG.

You can get maximum performance or reasonably good MPG using 87 octane but not both.

I prefer good MPG and a lower cost

Telcoman
The point is that since you clearly don't mind sacrificing performance, and since you're so conscious of saving a buck and getting good gas mileage, why the hell did you pay the up charge to get a performance sedan when a nice comfy(fully optioned) grocery getter with better mpg rating, regular fuel grade specs, and a significantly lower sticker price would better suffice your needs and cost a whopping $10K-$20K less!! (i.e. a Camry or the like)??
Would you likewise buy a heavy duty 1-ton pickup, compromise it by putting low load rated tires on it, and then claim they're lots cheaper and you don't like to haul heavy loads with the truck anyway ??

Next, I'm sorry but you're gas pricing is completely laughable to anyone out in the West, as our regular prices are still higher than your premium.
(I will say that the differential between your regular and premium is definitely higher than out here though)

Lastly, where did I, or anyone who's advocated for maximum performance, EVER complain about MPG?

(now I'm really really out, I mean it .. no more of this same ol' lame debate)
Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

The point is that since you clearly don't mind sacrificing performance, and since you're so conscious of saving a buck and getting good gas mileage, why the hell did you pay the up charge to get a performance sedan when a nice comfy(fully optioned) grocery getter with better mpg rating, regular fuel grade specs, and a significantly lower sticker price would better suffice your needs and cost a whopping $10K-$20K less!! (i.e. a Camry or the like)??
Would you likewise buy a heavy duty 1-ton pickup, compromise it by putting low load rated tires on it, and then claim they're lots cheaper and you don't like to haul heavy loads with the truck anyway ??

Next, I'm sorry but you're gas pricing is completely laughable to anyone out in the West, as our regular prices are still higher than your premium.
(I will say that the differential between your regular and premium is definitely higher than out here though)

Lastly, where did I, or anyone who's advocated for maximum performance, EVER complain about MPG?

(now I'm really really out, I mean it .. no more of this same ol' lame debate)
My answer to the original OP post was the use of regular 87 octane gasoline would not cause a check engine light to illuminate.
Perhaps his brother neglected to fully tighten the gas cap?

Originally Posted by DeepHouseGuy
Hi Guys,

Asked my little bro to fill up the G for and guess what he put in? You guessed it regular instead of premium. Anyway after a day of riding the SEL came on I took it to dealer next day and got code P0300 with nothing else. Mind you the car does not seem to be riding "hard" at least not that I have noticed yet.. I will try to empty the tank and refuel using premium but my question to you guys is I want to use this Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner 10003, how much of this bottle should I mix in? All 30oz or half or?

Amazon.com: Lucas 10003 Upper Cylinder Lubrication & Injector Cleaner 32 oz.: Automotive

Thanks in advance!
To answer your rant, I purchased my first G35 after a careful search for a vehicle that met my needs.
I wanted rear wheel drive and a 6 speed manual.
Not too many choices but I chose the Infiniti that was purchased on 12/31/2005
I also discovered that although new vehicles are delivered by the dealer with a full tank of gas they are delivered with a full tank of 87 octane and NOT premium.
This debate has been going on for many years but I did a one month test with my G35 using 91 octane and another month of 93 octane.
I found no difference in performance and a slightly reduced MPG while using the more expensive fuel.
Outside temperature,altitude and humidity have a greater effect on both performance and MPG than a change to higher octane fuel.
I've been driving for more than fifty years with many many vehicles, most of them stick shifts. I've never used premium gasoline in any of them.
It is a big myth thru clever marketing that millions of the gullible public fall for enabling the oil companies to increase their profits.
There is very little markup on regular 87 octane gasoline.
You sir should continue to spend the extra money on it if its use allows you to sleep better at night.

I drive 2000 miles per month and will continue to use regular 87 octane as its use allows me to sleep better at night knowing I'm not being sucked in by the BS the major gasoline companies would like their customers to believe.

Hope you have a Happy New Year

Telcoman
Old 01-02-2015, 02:09 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
It's not BS that full-throttle performance suffers when using 87-octane. If you're not using that part of the G's performance spectrum, then you're golden. Others do and it matters to them that 87-octane hampers the fleetness of their car.
The following users liked this post:
vqsmile (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 01:23 AM
dfjgydy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 87 "could" have fouled up a spark plug causing the misfire...However the ECU should adjust for 87 fuel. You can use it just not all the time...I'd drive it till you can fill up with premium. Then give it another tank of premium & see if your problem goes away.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:16 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dfjgydy
The 87 "could" have fouled up a spark plug causing the misfire...However the ECU should adjust for 87 fuel. You can use it just not all the time...I'd drive it till you can fill up with premium. Then give it another tank of premium & see if your problem goes away.
Spark plugs will not foul because of using 87 octane fuel. If plugs are fouled it is because of some other reason.

My 06 OEM G35 plugs at 106.7k miles

Name:  MyPlugsat1067kmi.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  33.9 KB

None are fouled by using 87 octane. I've had this discussion with the head Infiniti service technician as well as the service manager at my local dealership years ago.
Both he and some of the sales personnel also all use 87 octane in their vehicles.
When sold they all have a history of 87 octane usage.

Telcoman
Old 01-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Bonemaro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think I got my answer here. I drive 80 miles a day and 93 here is 60¢ higher than 87. I would normally run premium, but not too long ago, it was $4.89 a gallon. Sounds like in a bind, 87 is fine. ...at least that's what I'm understanding.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:12 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

You are correct, sir. 87-octane is safe to use in the VQ37. Nissan recommends 91/93-octane but it's not required. As long as you understand that full-throttle performance suffers...
vqsmile (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 02:16 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
As long as you understand that full-throttle performance suffers...
Who does that?

Not in our NJ bumper to bumper traffic in a rush hour that never ends.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:20 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I hope to visit New Joisey this spring. I'll suffer with you.
telcoman (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Bonemaro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm in that same boat in Atlanta everyday. Fortunately though, I live in a more remote area that allows for occasional sessions of spirited driving.