G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

I have a 08 STI now and thinking of switching to a 11 or 12 G37xs coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 04:04 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
Blows the doors off? LOL. Maybe more so on the track but not at the strip.
Yes the WRX/STi will blow the doors off the g37 with a couple basic bolt ons and tune. Both the track and the strip. Those vehicle makes such easy power with some bolt on. They make a tremendous amount of torque and they have one of the best awd setup.

Figure out what you want, go test drive one like others said. I've drove my friends WRX with cobb stage 1 and that thing has an addicting torque to it.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:36 PM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Yes the WRX/STi will blow the doors off the g37 with a couple basic bolt ons and tune. Both the track and the strip. Those vehicle makes such easy power with some bolt on. They make a tremendous amount of torque and they have one of the best awd setup.

Figure out what you want, go test drive one like others said. I've drove my friends WRX with cobb stage 1 and that thing has an addicting torque to it.
I was talking stock vs. stock.........
Old 08-30-2014, 06:04 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Doh. I thought you were replying to pmartell's comment which states his wrx was modded. Carry on
Old 09-01-2014, 03:01 AM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm selling my g37xS coupe if you want one. It's supercharged.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Magowin - what about a new 2015 WRX w/ CVT?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:38 PM
NBE-ON'D
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Magowin
I wish I could get a GTR but can't afford that unless I win the lottery. About a month ago on interstate a g37x was on my @&$ & I couldn't gain on him at all in sport sharp in 5th gear that's why I figured in real world situations I wouldn't notice any difference. I plan on getting a Stillen gen 3 intake, Stillen HFC's, crank pulley & hypertech right off the bat. So figured with those should be similar in real world situations.

Skip the crank pulley and hypertech, get a proper tune and save the money for a light set of wheels and tires.

If you want good gains with these cars without FI and loosing reliability while killing the balance with a load of front end weight. Rotational mass is the way to go, but the pulley is on the wrong side of the torque converter and these VQ's are balanced units. Maybe save that one for later.

As for the X coupe I cant make any remarks on handling composure because Ive yet to track one, but my rwd punches well above its weight and its still comfortable and looks sharp (I think). So im sure it could be done with an awd. Just a heads up these cars have lots of understeer built into them from the factory, but its easy to dial it all out.

Definitely try it, they are good looking cars, and the chassis has plenty of potential for track and touring and gives good feedback without totally messing up the comfort factor.
Im, just not a 100% sure how much you'll have to compensate with Infiniti's awd if you do track days? The sport breaks are good, but get steel lines, flush the fluid, a good set of rotors and pads to save for track days, save the stock ones for road use. (The rotors id suggest are pricy and you'll need to do some trimming on the rear for the hardware on the hats to clear, but so worth it). Personally I wouldn't bother with a big brake kit. (1. its to much money 2. You would need to change the master cylinder or else you flushed all that money away on the calipers to make a difference. It would be super awesome with a total set up, but not practical, unless your crazy hard core.)

I could be bias so its a NA V6 that's 37 or 3800+lbs. You've seen what its like on paper, do the rite things to it and it will rewards you. Just make sure whatever you get ticks off all the boxes that meets your needs. But id recommend one.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Magowin

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NBE-ON'D
Skip the crank pulley and hypertech, get a proper tune and save the money for a light set of wheels and tires.

If you want good gains with these cars without FI and loosing reliability while killing the balance with a load of front end weight. Rotational mass is the way to go, but the pulley is on the wrong side of the torque converter and these VQ's are balanced units. Maybe save that one for later.

As for the X coupe I cant make any remarks on handling composure because Ive yet to track one, but my rwd punches well above its weight and its still comfortable and looks sharp (I think). So im sure it could be done with an awd. Just a heads up these cars have lots of understeer built into them from the factory, but its easy to dial it all out.

Definitely try it, they are good looking cars, and the chassis has plenty of potential for track and touring and gives good feedback without totally messing up the comfort factor.
Im, just not a 100% sure how much you'll have to compensate with Infiniti's awd if you do track days? The sport breaks are good, but get steel lines, flush the fluid, a good set of rotors and pads to save for track days, save the stock ones for road use. (The rotors id suggest are pricy and you'll need to do some trimming on the rear for the hardware on the hats to clear, but so worth it). Personally I wouldn't bother with a big brake kit. (1. its to much money 2. You would need to change the master cylinder or else you flushed all that money away on the calipers to make a difference. It would be super awesome with a total set up, but not practical, unless your crazy hard core.)

I could be bias so its a NA V6 that's 37 or 3800+lbs. You've seen what its like on paper, do the rite things to it and it will rewards you. Just make sure whatever you get ticks off all the boxes that meets your needs. But id recommend one.
Cool thanks for the info. I thought you needed a Hypertech to get a tune that's why I planned on getting one. I figured it was a Cobb Accessport type device. I don't plan on all out tracking the car I only brought the Sti to Englishtown 3 times the 5 years I had it just to see what it would do after mod changes.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:05 PM
JT2014

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Skip the crank pulley and hypertech
IF the car is stock & you don't want to mod it with an intake or exhaust like me the Hypertech does help. It eliminates the lag in lower gears(0-60 restriction) & changes the air/fuel maps. I saw a difference in how the car drove. Did it add any power? Maybe, maybe not but driveablity was greatly increased.

But if your going to mod then yeah skip it. It actually hurts performance on a modded car.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:00 PM
arkangyl
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went from a built 08 STI to a 10 G37x coupe, verrry different cars to drive

The Infiniti will never feel as fast as the Subaru due to the lack of torque. It does still go plenty fast though, more refined than chaotic with the way it builds momentum. You'll want to use Sport or Manual mode a lot though, Drive keeps it under 2k RPM quite often and it's a very different car in that range. Once VVEL kicks in (3k I believe?) it really opens up and pulls much stronger.

That said, the kicker for me buying the G was that it really isn't much slower than a modded STI... My father has a 07' G35s sedan (305hp) and my STI with a Dom 1.5XT-r never really pulled away from him too much at highway speeds

Looking at the numbers, I haven't been able to justify power modding the G. That said, I also got it because the mods on the Subaru were making it an unreliable PITA...

I still miss the STI's 6-speed and those limited-slip diffs, the pull through the corners was quite nice :-)
Old 09-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Magowin

Originally Posted by SPDCRZ
I'm selling my g37xS coupe if you want one. It's supercharged.
Hmm would you consider trading for a 08 STI with 28k miles? I have a carbon fiber body kit on it as well besides mods I listed in first post.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:01 AM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Magowin
Hmm would you consider trading for a 08 STI with 28k miles? I have a carbon fiber body kit on it as well besides mods I listed in first post.
LMAO, well if I did not need the money I would not be selling. Sorry but cant trade.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Magowin

Originally Posted by SPDCRZ
LMAO, well if I did not need the money I would not be selling. Sorry but cant trade.
No problem out of curiousity how much you asking? If I sell my car public I will have cash plan on putting it up soon just wanna do all maintenance beforehand.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:05 AM
XCoop

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I had an '05 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, basically a fairly unknown model WRX that Subaru made for Saab for 2 years. 2.0 intercooled turbo 5 speed with STI steering ratio and the smaller 3 spoke steering wheel.

Both that and the G37 are probably about evenly fast, even though horsepower ratings are 100 less for the WRX clone. The butt dyno in that car was off the hook compared to this, especially keeping it revved past turbo lag. Both cars are heavy, but the Subies feel lighter, likely due to their weight being lower with the boxer motor.

The G accelerates about as fast, however as it is so refined with so much sound deadening, it just doesn't feel as fast and it's not as torquey. It's very deceptive and so easy to speed double the limit without even noticing it. These are two very very different cars.

If you're a big modder, you'll miss having the turbo as you can spend a lot of money and not get much unless you spend a whole lot to turbo the G.

The stock brakes suck compared to even the WRX. And while most of the Sports have the big Okebono's which are comparable to the STI's, the G37xS initially had and I believe still has the crappy brakes, not the Oke's like all the other Sports have. I drive the mountains and can tell you that the stock brakes are not acceptable for aggressive and/or mountain driving.

Those STI's have a STIFF clutch which is probably what's killing your knee. Have you thought about getting a 5 spd WRX or if you're lucky enough to find a 9-2x Aero and moving your mods over? It may solve your problems and be a lot cheaper. The 2.0 was/is a better motor than the 2.5. The only reason they changed the '06+ WRX, 9-2x, and STI to the 2.5 is that Americans didn't want to pay extra for going from a normally aspirated 2.5, to a turbo 2.0. You'll notice all the Japanese specced vehicles kept the 2.0, including all of their rally race vehicles. The 2.0 wound up better and is a more durable motor. The Saabaru is good looking and a total sleeper. WRX and especially STI's with that big fin and gold wheels are cop magnets.

From describing your driving style you may feel too separated from the road with a G. You'll want to get the shift paddles if you decide to go that way. The seats, stereo, nav, looks and all the other toys are really what sets the G apart.

The AWD in the G is borrowed from the GT-R, and is a rear wheel preferred AWD, like the STI, not front wheel preferred, like the WRX and 9-2x.

As a commuter and cross country, the G is a much nicer car. If all that and looks don't matter but it's all about brash acceleration and modding, then the Subies are the ride for you.
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (09-16-2014)
Old 09-16-2014, 08:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
XS coupes have the big Akebono brakes, the XS sedans have the smaller floating calipers.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:58 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Paratrooper
If you get a G37x, you will lose power to the tires. Get a rwd and mod it. Guys are making over 300 to wheels here with bolt ons and a tune.

Not true, AWD will make the same power as RWD.

The X's area not full time AWD. On in the snow or rain when the rears slip.

My X coupe NA tune made 298 WHP and Stilen SC made 457 WHP. On par with the RWD guys.

Quick Reply: I have a 08 STI now and thinking of switching to a 11 or 12 G37xs coupe?