Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Replacing the ballast

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:51 PM
BlueBert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing the ballast

Hey all,

Just noticed last week that my passenger HID headlight went out on my 08 coupe. I bought new bulbs (6k) from diode and it still did not work...which led me to believe its an issue with the ballast.

My question is...I was planning to buy this replacement ballast on ebay...but wondered if I should get the one with the ballast unit and ignitor or the one with the ballast unit, ignitor, and pigtails. Also, are all ballasts the same on the g37 models (no difference between 08 coupe vs 09 coupe)?

1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-NISSAN-INFINITI-MAZDA-XENON-HID-BALLAST-CONTROL-UNIT-IGNITER-2004-2013-NEW-/181381536097?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AG37&hash=item2a3b2e9961&vxp=mtr
2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-G37-35-xenon-Ballast-with-pigtail-wire-ignitor-D2S-Bulb-Used-2013-/310933640117?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item486516d3b5&vxp=mtr
Does anyone see a problem with either one of these products?

Any help would be big! Thanks!!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:19 PM
BlueBert

Also to add...I've been having the 6k diode bulbs on for about 1.5 years now without a problem. I recently added the Stillen Gen 3 intake a week before it went out...but dont think there should be a connection...
Old 04-22-2014, 10:53 PM
BlueBert

bump for help!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Phimphasone

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Theres no need for the pig tails, all you would need is the ballast. You should be able to reuse the old connectors from your orignal wiring harness.

I've never used aftermarket ballast so I can't comment on the reliability of those particular ballast. It looks like it should fit just fine.

I believe theres a O-ring on the factory ballast and doesnt look like the aftermarket one comes with one, so I would try to reuse the one thats on the factory ballast and place it on the new ballast to assure tight fitment, if that makes sense?

Goodluck with all of this let me know how it turns out for ya! I hope this helps you
The following users liked this post:
BlueBert (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 11:40 PM
BlueBert

Thanks! I just ordered a ballast and will give it a good sometime this weekend or so. Where is the O-ring located? Praying that this will fix it and be good to go.

Originally Posted by Phimphasone
Theres no need for the pig tails, all you would need is the ballast. You should be able to reuse the old connectors from your orignal wiring harness.

I've never used aftermarket ballast so I can't comment on the reliability of those particular ballast. It looks like it should fit just fine.

I believe theres a O-ring on the factory ballast and doesnt look like the aftermarket one comes with one, so I would try to reuse the one thats on the factory ballast and place it on the new ballast to assure tight fitment, if that makes sense?

Goodluck with all of this let me know how it turns out for ya! I hope this helps you
The following users liked this post:
VelisG37s (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 12:26 AM
VelisG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueBert
Thanks! I just ordered a ballast and will give it a good sometime this weekend or so. Where is the O-ring located? Praying that this will fix it and be good to go.

Bringing back an old thread. How was the Panasonic ballast?
Old 02-02-2016, 10:27 AM
zpieces

Does anyone know of any DIY guides here on replacing the headlight ballast?

Trending Topics

Old 02-02-2016, 10:57 AM
reNeglect

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by zpieces
Does anyone know of any DIY guides here on replacing the headlight ballast?
It`s fairly easy, remove the front bumper:

- Remove the `Sight shield` (the cover on top of the bumper when pop the hood) there should be 7 Bolts and about 6-7 clips

- Remove the bolts connecting the engine splash shield to the bumper.

- In the Front wheel wells, carefully pull back the liner and remove the two bolts connecting the bumper to the fender.

- Remove the two tension bolts and metal plate that hold the top side of the bumper to the fender.

- Remove bumper.

- There should be 4 bolts holding the headlight in place.

- Top, fender side, hidden one in the front between the crash bar and the headlight, and then pull back the rubber grommet and there should be one more bolt inside the fender.

- Carefully wiggle out the headlight halfway, then using a flat head push down on the connector clip and disconnect the harness.

- Remove headlight and the ballast should be mounted on the bottom side of the headlight.

I might also add that, the retrofit source also has used full OEM G37 ballast and igniter for sale for a pretty good price.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:46 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to dig this back up

But is there a difference in the ballast for an 08 with tech package (AFS headlights) vs ballast of a non AFS headlight? My replacement ballast I bought used doesn't have the wiring.