G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 PM
DPE G

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
Social media doesn't help with them. I posted my issue on the infiniti fb page and they responded in public like they wanted to help and make it right and them PM me that basically they aren't going to do anything.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DPE G
Social media doesn't help with them. I posted my issue on the infiniti fb page and they responded in public like they wanted to help and make it right and them PM me that basically they aren't going to do anything.
Thats when you regurgitate their PM right back onto social media.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:41 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
So I got my call back from a supervisor today. She sounded an awful lot like the robotic person who handled my case before. She spit the exact same phrases at me literally word for word ("unfortunately Infiniti is not in a position to do anything further in your case") repeatedly. It's like they must get an electric shock or something if they go off the script. She wouldn't explain anything further about how the decision is reached other than they consulted with the retailer. Not a why or why not, just no. Her idea of extending goodwill was to offer to give me VPP pricing if I choose to buy another Infiniti in the near future. "We won't fix the defect with this car just beyond warranty, but drop another $50K with us and you'll have another car with a warranty again! Because we care."

Oh well. Off to Nissan I guess to get it fixed and have the timing parts changed while they're in there (thanks for the suggestion jmann). Hopefully this'll close this issue for good. Thanks everyone for the insightful replies and helpful advice. It didn't work for me in my case, but thanks anyway. Perhaps it might help the next guy, or someone who wants to see how much help Infiniti Consumer Affairs really can be. The moral of the story is, "No matter how well you service or maintain your car yourself, if you don't drop coin regularly at our dealership service department AFTER you've paid top dollar for your cars, you're SOL after warranty expires. We really couldn't care less about your sob story, bro. Have a nice day!"
So sorry to hear about this; you definitely deserve better.

Two thoughts:

The dealer time estimate is almost always inflated. It sounds like you are able to do the repair yourself; I'd bet it won't take as long as they quoted.

After this kind of treatment why go to a dealer for the repairs? If you still want to go to a mechanic, aren't there any decent indies in your area? It's not like the dealership is doing anything to deserve your business, your car is out of warranty, and an indy should be a good deal less $$...

Either way, good luck!
Old 03-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
So sorry to hear about this; you definitely deserve better.

Two thoughts:

The dealer time estimate is almost always inflated. It sounds like you are able to do the repair yourself; I'd bet it won't take as long as they quoted.

After this kind of treatment why go to a dealer for the repairs? If you still want to go to a mechanic, aren't there any decent indies in your area? It's not like the dealership is doing anything to deserve your business, your car is out of warranty, and an indy should be a good deal less $$...

Either way, good luck!
Under different circumstances you bet yoru sweet azz I'd tackle it myself. Unfortunately I simply can't take on a big project like this right now for several reasons. I don't know much about most of the local shops and their competency because most everything that hasn't been a warranty repair on my car I have done myself. I mentioned a dealership because the local Nissan dealership has an awesome technician who I implicitly trust. He's the only one that I've let work on any of my cars in recent years and I know he will handle my car like it was his own. He's not a wrench turner, he's a top level mechanic and a car enthusiast as well.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:40 PM
rmfnla

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Well, it does sound like you've thought it through... best of luck with it!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Does Texas have an attorney generals office that handles disputes with auto dealers/manufacturers at all? I ended up involving mine in Maryland for a non-auto issue with a telecommunications company that did property damage and they were prompt in resolving my issue once contacted by state/local offices.

It's just a thought, but I definitely feel your pain and frustration BB. I'm hoping not to have to go down this road with my persistent rear transfercase output shaft seal that the dealer keeps trying to mend vs. replacing the entire transfercase. I have a couple of years powertrain left and have filed multiple issues with the dealer on this, so we'll see. Keep us posted on your progress with Nissan HQs in Japan.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I'm not sure but I don't think it would be of any use to me. There's no fraud involved. There's no refusal to honor a legally contracted warranty. I am out of warranty. They're within their rights to tell me no, I'm not disputing that at all. I just think it's pretty crappy of them given the circumstances and I'm not happy about it.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Something interesting I discovered yesterday regarding the repair for the issue. In communicating with a competent, expewrienced Infiniti technician who is familiar with the issue, I found out that the repair should be much, much cheaper than I was quoted. My repair quote was for 18.4 hours of labor. There isn't a rear timing cover gasket made for the VQVHR37 engine, they replace the entire rear cover which is time consuming. However I was assured (by someone who has performed the repair) that this is not necessary; the rear timing gasket from a VQHR35 engine fits perfectly and doesn't require removal and replacement of the rear cover. A $25 part and it cuts the labor time down to 7-8 hours. If only the service advisors or technicians that I paid to diagnose my car knew this. I'm just glad somebody knew about it and is honest enough to tell me about it to minimize my repair cost.

EDIT: I was told by the technician performing my repair and the service advisor that this isn't true, there is no replaceable gasket and the entire rear cover must be replaced to repair the leaking gasket.

Last edited by Black Betty; 04-13-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Something interesting I discovered yesterday regarding the repair for the issue. In communicating with a competent, experienced Infiniti technician who is familiar with the issue, I found out that the repair should be much, much cheaper than I was quoted. My repair quote was for 18.4 hours of labor. There isn't a rear timing cover gasket made for the VQVHR37 engine, they replace the entire rear cover which is time consuming. However I was assured (by someone who has performed the repair) that this is not necessary; the rear timing gasket from a VQHR35 engine fits perfectly and doesn't require removal and replacement of the rear cover. A $28 part and it cuts the labor time down to 7-8 hours. If only the service advisors or technicians that I paid to diagnose my car knew this. I'm just glad somebody knew about it and is honest enough to tell me about it to minimize my repair cost.
Nice that you've got the sources to provide that important info J. Much more reasonable time frame, especially for your bottom line. At least the pain should be a bit easier to deal with, G/L
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Something interesting I discovered yesterday regarding the repair for the issue. In communicating with a competent, experienced Infiniti technician who is familiar with the issue, I found out that the repair should be much, much cheaper than I was quoted. My repair quote was for 18.4 hours of labor. There isn't a rear timing cover gasket made for the VQVHR37 engine, they replace the entire rear cover which is time consuming. However I was assured (by someone who has performed the repair) that this is not necessary; the rear timing gasket from a VQHR35 engine fits perfectly and doesn't require removal and replacement of the rear cover. A $28 part and it cuts the labor time down to 7-8 hours. If only the service advisors or technicians that I paid to diagnose my car knew this. I'm just glad somebody knew about it and is honest enough to tell me about it to minimize my repair cost.
How much do you trust your dealer (even before this incident)?

Putting my tin foil hat on, but Ive always wondered if the whole "flat rate book" is somewhat of a scheme between dealer and corporate to milk as much $$$ as possible from the customer. i.e. 18.4 hours of labor charged, 7 or 8 hours of labor actually performed.

Parts you can kind of prove what they replaced, etc. Labor, not so much.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
How much do you trust your dealer (even before this incident)?

Putting my tin foil hat on, but Ive always wondered if the whole "flat rate book" is somewhat of a scheme between dealer and corporate to milk as much $$$ as possible from the customer. i.e. 18.4 hours of labor charged, 7 or 8 hours of labor actually performed.

Parts you can kind of prove what they replaced, etc. Labor, not so much.
I don't trust them at all. I don't know any of them and they don't know me. I haven't had a lot of dealings with them at this dealership. But I don't get the impression that they were intentionally cheating me, they're just estimating it by what the book says they should charge. It's well known that the number of hours in the "book" is rather generous in many instances. It also depends on a lot of other factors as to how long a job actually takes, skill level of the technician, his familiarity and prior experience with the job he's doing, if they run into something unexpected that couldn't be foreseen, etc. In this case I don't think it's a matter of them charging me extra unnecessary hours to gouge me, it's a matter of them charging me the full number of labor hours to do it by the book rather than using a "trick" that experienced technicians know of.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:28 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

For anyone else afflicted with this defect who has to pay out of pocket due to being out of warranty and out of Infiniti's good graces, here's how to save yourself $1500 worth of overpriced labor.

Here is what the rear timing cover looks like. (NOTE: this is not my engine, mine is clean as a pin inside)

Here's where the leaking gasket is that can be replaced rather than replacing the entire rear cover. Remove those bolts, change a $19 gasket, save 10 hours of labor.

Last edited by Black Betty; 10-15-2014 at 12:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-01-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Something else I just noticed. I communicated with a forum member who had the same thing done under warranty. he was kind enough to pass along a copy of his work order to me. It appears that his dealership performed the job by just replacing the gasket rather than the much more expensive rear cover replacement. Maybe Sewell Infiniti of Houston is indeed trying to bend me over a barrel?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Funny story about the "flat rate" book - I actually found one instance where the dealer would get hosed.

Bought an OEM fog light kit for my 2000 Accord. Called the dealer asking how much to install, they laughed and said they wont do it....Honda specs a flat rate of 2 hours. The service dept said they had their best tech install a set and it took 4 hours straight with a helper. So I guess they dont ALWAYS win, but when they know they will lose they just outright refuse to do it

The only time my car goes to the dealer is for major warranty work that I wouldnt be able to easily fix myself. Once its out of warranty Ill take it to a local shop that I trust. Ive been told my Infiniti dealer has a good service dept (from someone I know at Nissan), but in the end they are all just out to make money.

Yeah, Ill get a nice waiting room and a loaner car if necessary, but Im not going to pay out the butt for that experience.

In regards to Sewell, you never know if they would go ahead and replace just the gasket and charge you just for that....maybe it was just a case of them giving you the worst case scenario? Better they do that than quote you a cheaper fix that turns into more expensive.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
In regards to Sewell, you never know if they would go ahead and replace just the gasket and charge you just for that....maybe it was just a case of them giving you the worst case scenario? Better they do that than quote you a cheaper fix that turns into more expensive.
Possibly. But with a difference of about 10 hours of labor @ $153/hr. I'm a bit irritated that they didn't present me with the cheaper option of gasket replacement, and just quoted the much more profitable, labor intensive option. You can best believe that they were not going to come back at the end of it all and say, "Guess what? We found a much cheaper way to perform the job and so we're going to charge you $1500 less than we quoted!" Ain't gonna happen.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience