Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

what is transaxle fluid? Is it same as Automatic Transmission fluid on a G37x.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:40 PM
tifosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is transaxle fluid? Is it same as Automatic Transmission fluid on a G37x.

Hello friends!!

What is transaxle fluid? On a 2009 G37X sedan is it same as Automatic Transmission fluid?
My car has about 31.5K. I'm going to take my car in to the dealership for an oil change and some other warranty work( noise from steering wheel column). Dealer said he'll do differential fluid change and transaxle fluid change for $150. I initially thought he meant Automatic transmission fluid, but he said transaxle fluid is diffrent from ATF.

Questions:
If ATF and transaxle fluids are different, which is more important: ATF change or Transaxle fluid change?

If I'm getting differential fluid change now, can I get ATF and transfer case oil changed later? Or should all these fluids be changed at the sametime?
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 PM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Everything I found on google and the other forums it led me to tells me that transaxle and ATF are synonymous..
Old 04-09-2013, 07:58 PM
GoCougs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, for the G37x per the manual both the A/T and transfer case use a Nissan-specific ATF ("NISSAN Matic S ATF") - and also per the manual using anything different will void the warranty.

Also, FWIW, the G37 A/T is lifetime fill. The only benefit of changing it is for your dealer's bank account. The transfer case and differentials are lifetime fill as well if not following the "premium service" (which IMO exists to benefit your dealer).
Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM
tifosi

Originally Posted by GoCougs
Yes, for the G37x per the manual both the A/T and transfer case use a Nissan-specific ATF ("NISSAN Matic S ATF") - and also per the manual using anything different will void the warranty.

Also, FWIW, the G37 A/T is lifetime fill. The only benefit of changing it is for your dealer's bank account. The transfer case and differentials are lifetime fill as well if not following the "premium service" (which IMO exists to benefit your dealer).
Do you mean transaxle fluid is actually transfer case oil?

I bought this car used. So, I thought I would get the fluids changed if the dealer is not charging big money.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 PM
GoCougs

Originally Posted by tifosi
Do you mean transaxle fluid is actually transfer case oil?

I bought this car used. So, I thought I would get the fluids changed if the dealer is not charging big money.
I'd be wary of trying to equate the two as primarily I'm not sure what "transaxle fluid" is. Some vehicles use ATF in the transfer case. Some vehicles use gear oil.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
From the 2009 G37 Owners manual selction 9-2:

Automatic Transmission Fluid: Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF*3

Transfer Fluid: Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF*8

Front Differential Gear Oil: Genuine NISSAN Differential Oil Hypoid Super GL-5 80W-90 or API GL-5 Viscosity SAE 80W-90*6

Rear Differential Gear Oil: Genuine NISSAN Differential Oil Synthetic 75W-90 or API GL-5 synthetic gear oil, Viscosity SAE 75W-90*7

*3:
Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission

durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty.

*6: For hot climates, viscosity SAE 90 is suitable for ambient temperatures above 32°F (0°C).

*7: See an INFINITI dealer for service for synthetic oil.

*8:
Using transfer fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and transfer durability, and may damage the transfer, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty

Unless you are driving you car hard, replacement of those fluids at this point is a waste of $$$. Consult your recommended service guide for non-dealer influenced service intervals.

Brian
Old 04-10-2013, 12:37 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GoCougs

Note the transfer fluid is Matic J.

Totally agree with the "lifetime fill" and following the factory service recommendations. That being said, as I approach 80k miles I'll probably change everything to be safe. The PO of my car left service receipts in the glove box and the dealer really did a number on him in terms of recommended services - brake fluid change at 30k??? LOL.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm confused. Can someone dumb this down for me. I have a 2009 G37xS, with 60,000 miles. What should I change with respect to transmission fluid, diff fluid, transaxle fluid. From posts above, it sounds like none are required (lifetime fill). I do drive it hard, so I'd like to hear what's required, and what's recommended. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
There are two differentials in awd, front and rear.ndefinitely should change those oils. Then there is transmission and transfer case oil. Both use s-matic fluid but are separately from each other. I would recommend changing those as well.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:52 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

modme and gocougs - where are you guys getting the info on Matic S for the transfer case? I'm looking at a PDF of the manual for 2009 G37 sedan and coupe right now and it recommends Matic J for transfer fluid.

Are there different versions of the manual?

ZenZiglar - if you drive your car hard I would also recommend replacing all of the fluids at around 60k.

Brian
Old 04-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
You can use j-matic if you want. S-matic is the replacement for j-matic. It's essentially the same thing.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
tifosi

Originally Posted by monty2003
From the 2009 G37 Owners manual selction 9-2:

Automatic Transmission Fluid: Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF*3

Transfer Fluid: Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF*8

Front Differential Gear Oil: Genuine NISSAN Differential Oil Hypoid Super GL-5 80W-90 or API GL-5 Viscosity SAE 80W-90*6

Rear Differential Gear Oil: Genuine NISSAN Differential Oil Synthetic 75W-90 or API GL-5 synthetic gear oil, Viscosity SAE 75W-90*7

*3:
Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic S ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission

durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty.

*6: For hot climates, viscosity SAE 90 is suitable for ambient temperatures above 32°F (0°C).

*7: See an INFINITI dealer for service for synthetic oil.

*8:
Using transfer fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and transfer durability, and may damage the transfer, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty

Unless you are driving you car hard, replacement of those fluids at this point is a waste of $$$. Consult your recommended service guide for non-dealer influenced service intervals.

Brian

Thanks Brian for your response.

I drive my car hard and I bought this used. I dont know how this car was driven by the previous owner. Thought it would not be a bad idea to change front and rear differential and transfer case oil at this point. I"ll do or I might do the transmission and coolant flush at 45k or 60K
Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM
tifosi

Originally Posted by Modme
There are two differentials in awd, front and rear.ndefinitely should change those oils. Then there is transmission and transfer case oil. Both use s-matic fluid but are separately from each other. I would recommend changing those as well.
Modme,

Is it safe to assume, dealer actually meant transfer case oil when he said transaxle fluid?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM
GoCougs

Originally Posted by monty2003
Note the transfer fluid is Matic J.

Totally agree with the "lifetime fill" and following the factory service recommendations. That being said, as I approach 80k miles I'll probably change everything to be safe. The PO of my car left service receipts in the glove box and the dealer really did a number on him in terms of recommended services - brake fluid change at 30k??? LOL.
I referenced my manual - 2011 G37x sedan. Perhaps I got it wrong then (don't have it with me). IMO the important footnote was that the specified fluid has to be used to keep warranty intact.

Actually, for the G37 brake fluid change is a mandatory 30k factory service - that's not the dealer making something up or pushing an optional/recommended service. Brake fluid loves to absorb water.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:13 PM
GoCougs

Originally Posted by ZenZiglar
I'm confused. Can someone dumb this down for me. I have a 2009 G37xS, with 60,000 miles. What should I change with respect to transmission fluid, diff fluid, transaxle fluid. From posts above, it sounds like none are required (lifetime fill). I do drive it hard, so I'd like to hear what's required, and what's recommended. Thanks.
YMMV of course but for me and my 2011 G37x, I drive just as about hard as anyone can on the street and always take pristine care of my cars. I will never change radiator coolant, AT fluid, t-case fluid, or F/R diff oil. These things are "lifetime" fill (which is the longest interval specified in the maintenance manual; 8 years or 120,000 miles).

If modern cars were this sensitive to fluid changes (including oil) they wouldn't last half as long as they do. Modern cars, and in particular modern fluids, are engineered for very long if not essentially lifetime fill. Me I'm going to take full advantage of it and not have a worry that I am sacrificing reliability or performance.

Quick Reply: what is transaxle fluid? Is it same as Automatic Transmission fluid on a G37x.