G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

About to buy a 08 G37S coupe!!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 PM
hydronos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy a 08 G37S coupe!!

Hey guys just joined this forum...currently an owner of an acura tsx...Im really close to getting a 08 g37s blk/blk coupe in chicago...found one for 24k with 32,xxx miles just wanted to see if theres anything I should look out for its one owner and the car doesnt seem beat at all, the clutch is good and if I get it, any cheap and quick first mods I can do? Im a recent college grad so money is still kinda tight but I did find a set of blizzaks on craigslist, hopefully the guy still has them by the time I get the car.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:42 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Congrats man, just make sure you check the carfax and see if your local dealer will get you a work order history report. Sounds like a pretty good deal if its clean though. Is it still under warranty?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:32 AM
paleryeder

Make sure the car is washed and clean, check the body panels close for repairs. This was a hard part for me, most I looked at had body repairs that didn't show up on the carfax. A couple left the car with a coat of dust which can make it hard to see bodywork if you don't know what your looking for or have a digital paint coating thickness gauge.
Hardest part about buying is holding out for a good clean car that hasn't been beat up. Sounds like price is in the ballpark although I've see a few really clean G's with a lot of money already dumped into them for around 20k lately. I think there's more to choose from out here in CA though.
Good luck with your purchase I'm sure you'll be happy, I love driving mine.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Welcome. Fortunately the 08 Gs are pretty solid and reliable.. Just look out for the usual.
As far as mods - cheap and quick dont really do much for this car. And I guess it all really depends on your definition of cheap. An aftermarket Y Pipe is relatively cheap and very quick and you vet some gains out of it. Also HFCs. The first thing I would go for is a mild drop. It really makes the car look more aggressive. Cross drilled rotors really look nice behid the wheels on the S with the big brakes.
Poke around the forums a bit and you will see all sorts of ideas that you may find you like.

Welcome to the forums
Old 07-01-2012, 11:01 AM
enronforme

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd try to get him down a bit on the price. I bought my '08 G37s 6mt from Lisle Infiniti (Chicagoland for those not in this part of the world) for $24,300 and it had 23k miles. I also got them to throw in a new set of Potenzas and a nav update for free (and it still had 6 months of mfg. warranty on it). With your mileage, and from a private party, I'm guessing you can get it down to the low $20's. Good luck!
Bob
Old 07-01-2012, 01:41 PM
jmueller

Ask to see repair/maintenance records too!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:22 PM
navecm
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I first got my 08 G37S, I was experiencing dead battery issues. There was some issue which is covered by one of the TSBs, however the previous owner had swapped in a non Nissan/Infiniti battery so I had to come out of pocket for that, but the dealer covered the rest of the work that needed to be done.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:52 PM
mystakin
Registered Member

for mods, aesthetic is your best bet for cheap. people get exhausts mainly for sound (gains are embarrassingly low for the price of a full catback setup) and same thing for an intake. mods for our cars are pretty expensive and its sometimes hard to justify it since the gains are minimal. most people would recommend just saving for FI, thats where the real fun comes out. an exhaust, intake, and tune will set you back a couple grand and make get your 25-50hp.. with that being said, the tone from the vq engine is beautiful and paired with the right exhaust you wont feel much faster but every time you accelerate you'll enjoy the sound. i know i do haha. there are a fair number of exterior and interior mods though for aesthetic purposes. carbon fiber interiors are pretty popular, so are painted grilles and headlights. you might want to invest in an aftermarket lip/kit for your sport bumper or even swap it for a completely new aftermarket bumper. take a look around the vendor section and the photo section, you'll find some pretty dope whips. oh yea before i forget, myg37 forum members love plasti dip embrace it.. you'll probably end up trying it on your wheels or grille/emblem. lol
Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 AM
hydronos

thanks guys

Originally Posted by enronforme
I'd try to get him down a bit on the price. I bought my '08 G37s 6mt from Lisle Infiniti (Chicagoland for those not in this part of the world) for $24,300 and it had 23k miles. I also got them to throw in a new set of Potenzas and a nav update for free (and it still had 6 months of mfg. warranty on it). With your mileage, and from a private party, I'm guessing you can get it down to the low $20's. Good luck!
Bob
Thanks guys for the input, the cars actually at a dealership...Hey enronforme when did you get yours? I went to lisle right after seeing this car and they only had one 08 S for 28,900 with the same 32k miles which I thought was priced too high...yeah I cant wait to start modding the car...I just lowered my tsx on coilovers last year...pretty much gonna do the same stuff I did to my tsx on this probably...coilovers, thicker sway bar?, big brake kit, top speed header, led lighting, plasti dip some chrome, maybe fogs if thats possible...hopefully thats a good start...Ill find out today in the afternoon what happens with the car.

Last edited by hydronos; 07-03-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 PM
enronforme

Originally Posted by hydronos
Thanks guys for the input, the cars actually at a dealership...Hey enronforme when did you get yours? I went to lisle right after seeing this car and they only had one 08 S for 28,900 with the same 32k miles which I thought was priced too high...yeah I cant wait to start modding the car...I just lowered my tsx on coilovers last year...pretty much gonna do the same stuff I did to my tsx on this probably...coilovers, thicker sway bar?, big brake kit, led lighting, plasti dip some chrome, maybe fogs if thats possible...hopefully thats a good start...Ill find out today in the afternoon what happens with the car.
I purchased it November 24, 2011, so it's been 7 months. Maybe coming into the winter in Chicago with a 6mt on the lot that wouldn't move quickly got them motivated- don't know. They purchased it from an auction, so they were looking for a quick buck on the turnaround.

The salesman was a putz, but that's not earth shaking news.

It has everything on it except the tech package (which does nothing for me)- even had the illuminated kick plates which they didn't even mention and I didn't realize it had until I was there to finalize the deal in person (which made the deal that much more sweet).

I'd tell them you know of someone who purchased an '08 G37 6mt with 23k miles and all the bells and whistles from them 7 months ago for $24k+ and ask why they're asking what they're asking for the one you're looking at- can't hurt. Who knows, you might drive outta there with a new G!
Bob
Old 07-06-2012, 09:57 PM
hydronos

I got the car guys...ill post pics soon...one quick question auxilary for audio does it have one?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 PM
ColesAircraft

Hey guys just joined this forum...currently an owner of an acura tsx...Im really close to getting a 08 g37s blk/blk coupe in chicago...found one for 24k with 32,xxx miles just wanted to see if theres anything I should look out for its one owner and the car doesnt seem beat at all, the clutch is good and if I get it, any cheap and quick first mods I can do? Im a recent college grad so money is still kinda tight but I did find a set of blizzaks on craigslist, hopefully the guy still has them by the time I get the car.
That's cool! My wife has a TSX that we're about to trade in for an EX35. BIG difference between the Acura and the G!

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2012, 12:56 PM
GenomeTuning
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check if any of the panels have been repainted by checking door jams, etc. carfax is half-useless these days as more and more people just fix under the table.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 PM
enronforme

I got the car guys...ill post pics soon...one quick question auxilary for audio does it have one?
Congrats! Just the ipod jack in the center console for audio is the only aux that I know of.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:10 PM
DashKid
Banned

Originally Posted by enronforme
Congrats! Just the ipod jack in the center console for audio is the only aux that I know of.
What is your source of music? ipod/iphone? If so, the 08 models need a special adapter to connect your ipod/iphone to the car and it inside the arm rest. 09 + uses a regular usb to ipod jack.

I think the 08's have a aux port but I am not sure. I will check for one today once I get in my car. If it doesn't go buy a the plug in for out car.item.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to buy a 08 G37S coupe!!