Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Updating Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:24 AM
apcrump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Creepers
id rather get lost than pay 300 bucks.
Nice ahahaha
Old 02-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by TwoThree
Is there any way to update the entire interface and layout? I believe the 2010+ models have more settings for iPod features and such?
The simple answer is yes. The practical answer is not really. Modme has done it. But he will be the first to tell you that it is not plug n play. You'll need to buy all the parts and also do custom electronic work to make it work. Not a simple DIY and not cheap. See his thread on this for more details.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:19 AM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Thanks Black Betty, I saw where he swapped to a high res screen and all that, I just thought there would be a software update, but from I get out of your reply, that doesn't really exist.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 PM
enronforme

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Luckily I got well versed on the subject here before buying my '08 G37s 6mt 3 months ago and told the salesman I wanted it updated before delivery- he didn't do it like he promised, and when I figured out how to check which version I had and saw 07-08 nav version I blew a gasket and got them to get me the code for free. I had it installed at my local Infiniti dealer (not the one I bought it from) and they never asked me for a dime.
Bob
Old 02-13-2012, 08:20 PM
JayElDee

[quote=anomalocaris;3359622]Really, you guys complain that updates like this don't cost what they would on an Elantra - did you forget that you bought a highline car? They cost more. Parts cost more. You don't seem to howl when you willingly pay $1500 for an exhaust that would cost $750 for a Dodge Challenger. If spending more on an update than what a cheap Garmin costs is so distasteful, why not buy a Kia Optima next time. /quote]
An exhaust system is not third party software. It is a very custom item, made in relatively small quantities. That does cost more. A map database is in no way comparable.
I have three "cheap" Garmins--a Zumo 550, a 1350 and a 1450. 2 of the three have lifetime map updates included in the price. The third, the zumo, can have lifetime user installed maps for $110. All three have, for $25/year, a continuously updated database of speed cameras and redlight cameras that alert audibly and visually. Very useful. Not available for us though.
2 of the three display speed limits for the streets you are driving. Useful. You can change the "safety" setting and adjust them while moving.
Oh, and they also do everything our Nav systems do, of course. Just a whole lot more.

All three have displays that are the equal or close enough to our Nav system screen. One has incorporated XM. All three are bluetooth. So, rather than the slur of "cheap," I prefer to think of them as "better," much better. More bang for the buck. A better product. A better deal. Less expensive.
Is that hard to understand?
It's frustrating that such a "highline" fine car doesn't have what an Elantra or Optima offers in this area technologically. And, to make it more difficult to swallow, to attempt to approach what they offer, many dollars are involved. And you buy that?

They must love to see you walk in the door.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
JayElDee,
Perhaps you’re forgetting a few important aspects. With OEM nav you don’t have the inherent disadvantages of :

• A portable “stick on” device that looks like clutter on the dash.
• Having to remove it every time you park in a public area lest your car be broken into and the device stolen.
• Loss of integrated functions that come with factory nav like fuel economy, graphs, warnings for oil/filter changes due, etc.
• Having to install your own backup camera including wiring on older G37 models.

This is why, in the long run, factory navigation is preferred on our upscale cars rather than going the cheaper route.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:24 AM
JayElDee

Hi, Chekov,
I'm not forgetting that at all. All of those things are important and add to the frustration of not having what are basic features on garmin models.

You're absolutely right on all of your points. I just can't buy the argument that because it is Infiniti, a highline car, we should be accommodating to bend over.

I came to my G37 after 30 years with Mercedes, I know about taking it financially for the team; I am no longer willing to accept that, "Oh it's more expensive JUST because it's Infiniti." The Infiniti is less costly, for me, to maintain, but the frustration of the Music Box and the Nav System is irritating in an otherwise fine automobile and marque. And it could so easily be different, if Infiniti chose.

You're right, though.