G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Getting Towed? Heres some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:07 PM
infinate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great informative post, your outcome will definitely be considered in my future reference if I come across the same situation.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
chogrilla

damn dude you went all johnny cochran on this tow company..i like it
Old 08-13-2011, 12:30 AM
ice_angels7

Hope never to be in the position of using a Tow truck, But if it happen, well, Now I know what to do in case I experienced this same situation. Thanks a lot for this Info.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:02 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by chogrilla
damn dude you went all johnny cochran on this tow company..i like it
For real. Very good info!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:23 PM
retrospex
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good points here, thanks for the heads up
Old 09-10-2011, 09:40 PM
RedlineAZ

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!!! Glad you guys found the info helpful! I posted it to help you guys out, of course if you can avoid the hassle all together and stop them before the damage starts occurring, DO IT. If its too late or your caught up in the moment and didn't get the chance to stop the them, at least you know what to do to insure your compensated for your damages.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:44 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry newbie question... so tow companies CAN load lowered cars onto a flatbed? I always thought my car would never make it up onto one
Old 09-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by xlack
Sorry newbie question... so tow companies CAN load lowered cars onto a flatbed? I always thought my car would never make it up onto one
Yes. Even slammed car's can be safely loaded by a skilled operator with the right equipment.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:32 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ cool, good info in this thread. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:07 AM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for sharing some solid advise. These days everyone should be able to record incidents like you did. Years ago (in the stone age lol) before we all had cell phones and smart phones it would be their word against yours and you had little to no chance get money from them for repairs. Things sure have changed for the better.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 PM
RedlineAZ

Originally Posted by gimpy
Thanks for sharing some solid advise. These days everyone should be able to record incidents like you did. Years ago (in the stone age lol) before we all had cell phones and smart phones it would be their word against yours and you had little to no chance get money from them for repairs. Things sure have changed for the better.
Thanks man, yes sir its definitely a shame that people aren't more careful. I know mistakes happen, but at least make they should have made the effort to avoid it from happening. Or use their resources, and last resort say hey, the car is going to scrape, its inevitable, should we tow it or not? At least at that point you can decide if its worth the scrape or not lol.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
I'd say this, if you get the feeling the operator doesn't know what he's doing, don't let him tow the car. Call his superior and request someone that knows what they're doing. Sure you can document the damage being done, but not having any damage to begin with is better than dealing with it after the fact.

At the least, (this probably applies to the stock car too), they should be using wood blocks to get the car on and off the flat bed.

As for what gets strapped down, I believe there are slots in the undercarriage for their J hooks to engage. As long as the operator doesn't crank down excessively, I would think you'd be ok. However, straps around the wheels is probably safer for the chassis (assuming the the wheels don't get scratched).

Some drivers like to put the car in park/gear (manual). I'm not a big fan of this. I think the car should remain in neutral (both manual and auto). Maybe set the parking brake, but definitely not leave it in gear. Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 PM
RedlineAZ

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I'd say this, if you get the feeling the operator doesn't know what he's doing, don't let him tow the car. Call his superior and request someone that knows what they're doing. Sure you can document the damage being done, but not having any damage to begin with is better than dealing with it after the fact.

At the least, (this probably applies to the stock car too), they should be using wood blocks to get the car on and off the flat bed.

As for what gets strapped down, I believe there are slots in the undercarriage for their J hooks to engage. As long as the operator doesn't crank down excessively, I would think you'd be ok. However, straps around the wheels is probably safer for the chassis (assuming the the wheels don't get scratched).

Some drivers like to put the car in park/gear (manual). I'm not a big fan of this. I think the car should remain in neutral (both manual and auto). Maybe set the parking brake, but definitely not leave it in gear. Thoughts?

I agree with you man! I absolutely think if it can be avoided, avoid it!!! As for keeping it in neutral, I think that is a good idea too. I don't feel comfortable leaving the car in gear/park and having it bounce around. I can just imagine the stress that causes to the transmission!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:02 PM
DjFromVA

Great read! Sticky!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Bluesman2008

"but what if there is some note on the receipt releasing them off all damages to the vehicle?"

They can't escape liability for damages caused by them whether that clause is in their contract or not. The courts view them as contracts of adhesion and they're not enforceable. It's a contract of adhesion because you're forced to accept it and it's non-negotiable. It's sort of like giving your car to a valet guy who gives you a receipt saying they're not responsible for damages and he drives your car into a ditch. They're responsible for all damages that they cause regardless of that clause. Why? Because THEY have absolute control over your car. That 35 years of law practice wasn't for nothing, right? LOL.

Quick Reply: Getting Towed? Heres some advice