Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

What's wrong with the Bose sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Duster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's wrong with the Bose sound system?

I'm picking up my new G tomorrow, and since I'm bored I'm reading everything in these forums to help me deal with the anticipation.

Lots of negative comments about the Bose system. What, exactly, is wrong with it that so many people don't like it? Most comments are "it sucks", which isn't very descriptive. What sucks about it?

I know I'll hear it for myself tomorrow, so I'll have my own opinion then. But in the meantime, what's the issue with the system?

--- D
Old 03-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Duster
Lots of negative comments about the Bose system. What, exactly, is wrong with it that so many people don't like it? Most comments are "it sucks", which isn't very descriptive. What sucks about it?
I just sucks

once you have listened to say a dolby digital 5.0 surround sound whatever in a car, it kills anything else you will ever listen to. I experienced this on a Mercedes ML and was blown away. Yes I listen to house, trance and progressive, the sound quality was just outstanding and nothing has yet topped that..

My bose sucks on both my G35 and now G37 thus far
Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 PM
gooddeal

I think Bose is o.k except it's expensive. Usually, people who are bashing about Bose b/c they don't want to spend the extra money. They rather buy a generic T-shirt for $5 than the $45 Lacoste T-shirt. You pay for the "Brand". Do you want to buy a cheap MP player or an iPod?

However, I think Bose home theater is very good considering the size of those speakers.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:51 PM
ShyAznB8oi
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll make this easy for you.

The Bose System SUCKS.. The treble does not contain clarity at all. The woofer on the door panels are POS, makes your door rattle..

It would be nice to replace all the speakers consisting of..
Door panels = 1" tweeter, 3" midrange, and 10" woofer. you can put a 6.5" speaker instead of the woofer, just gotta custom drill it on the door panel.
Rear passenger = 3" mid range
Rear deck = 6x9 speakers

I would go for Alpine Type S or Type R depending on your budget.. that's for 6.5" only and 6"x9"
Alpine does not make 1", and 3" speakers.. You can go Infinity, Rockford, or Pioneer. > bose
Old 03-17-2011, 03:54 PM
CDONNS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm picking up my new G tomorrow, and since I'm bored I'm reading everything in these forums to help me deal with the anticipation.

I know I'll hear it for myself tomorrow, so I'll have my own opinion then. But in the meantime, what's the issue with the system?

--- D
Just depends on how picky/particular you are. I enjoy music quite a bit and am fine with how the Bose sounds. Yes, obviously it can be better but it's not worth buying a whole bunch of aftermarket stuff. You'll be fine, the Bose is nothing to worry about.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:56 PM
SRG

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont know what other people are talking about, maybe they have defective speakers...but i have no problem with my bose sound system...I actually think it's a great sound system. I listen to all types of music on it and i enjoy it every single time. I dont know if everyone is expecting a Bang & Olufsen sound system, but my g's treble, bass and mids sound perfect enough.

Hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (01-16-2020)
Old 03-17-2011, 04:16 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think it sounds pretty good... its an SQ sound...
But if you're used to a car with a custom sound system, you'll be disappointed.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Boxer04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jjasonSU
I think it sounds pretty good... its an SQ sound...
But if you're used to a car with a custom sound system, you'll be disappointed.
I have to agree. Most of the after market speakers and equipment cater to low bass mid treble listeners. BOSE speakers are comparatively good for mid levels of bass and treble listeners. This gives a more clear sound, depending on the actual sound quality if the music file.

I have noticed the difference between stock sound systems in Hondas and Toyotas, our G's Bose systems and the Mark Levinson audio systems and Bang Olufsen systems in Lexus and Audi cars. There is a difference in clarity depending on speaker quantity, quality and settings.

non luxury car systems < Bose systems on G37 < higher luxury cars...(Audi's Bang Olufsen are pretty sweet sounding)

if you like the quality of the music you listen to like me then the stock BOSE systems in your G will be good enough....if your into more bass and louder music then go after market.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:05 PM
koa789

I think it's a well balanced system in a entry luxury car segment. It does its job very well. It is not B&O from Audi, or the Mark Levinson Lexus system, but you also don't pay the price those system command.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM
1NEETO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends how is the system on your previous car. I'm not that much into sounds, I prefer balance and clarity over booming bass every day. My previous car had a 7 speaker Bose system and it sounded very decent. When I traded it for my G I thought this system was much better. I could hear things I could only hear if I had headphones on, the bass is decent and the mid/highs are clear enough. My other car, a 03 civic has an aftermarket stereo with two 12" kickers in the trunk. Guess which stereo I enjoy listening more.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I dont think I'd you swapped the speakers out I would sound better.
I read someone whonl did that in their m45 and it sounded worse
Old 03-17-2011, 08:56 PM
ViPaDawG

I think the bose is fine. I'm only in my car an hour tops (on a single trip), and on warmer days, i have the windows down and I listen to the that beautiful VQ instead.
abrecos (01-16-2020)
Old 03-17-2011, 09:05 PM
jmlenz

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

--- D
IMO...nothing is wrong with it. In fact I have had two people ask "what kind of system" did I install while riding with me. Im no audiophile, but I love my bose.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:11 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
nothing is wrong with it, just that some people who dislike it is becuz they have had better stereos in the past and they have an ear for good and bad systems. To the average person it sounds great and better than most. Again its based on a personal view or ear.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 PM
NYCMaxima

The sound clarity is amazing from Bose, the bass is the only aspect thats lacking, but its still good enough for me.
abrecos (01-16-2020)

Quick Reply: What's wrong with the Bose sound system?