G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

09 G37: Stillen Gen 3 Cold Air Intake + Grounding Kit installed (+ dynos!!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by llee916
Great dyno and great information. Now I'm getting the Gen3 for sure and maybe even the grounding kit.

How much was the Dyno btw?
The grounding kit is a waste of money
Old 02-27-2011, 11:54 PM
borfoo3
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question responses, round 3:
1- I wasn't expecting a CEL, but for some reason it came up, went away after turning the car off, only to come back a few mins later.. did the ECU reset to start fresh and that solved the problem!
2- the dyno run at Dynocomp in Scottsdale, AZ was about $65

update: I've now come to the end of this weekend's 1051-mile trip. The intakes performed flawlessly in the heavy storms we had in LA this weekend, no hesitation or signs of water ingestion.
Though there was this one strange instance when the car screen restarted once during a sharp corner today. I still don't know if it was from all that water or something to do with the grounding kit.. Will keep an eye on it.

In short: the car really justified the $72.50 at the pump for a full tank of gas this weekend!!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:58 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by borfoo3
Question responses, round 3:
1- I wasn't expecting a CEL, but for some reason it came up, went away after turning the car off, only to come back a few mins later.. did the ECU reset to start fresh and that solved the problem!
2- the dyno run at Dynocomp in Scottsdale, AZ was about $65

update: I've now come to the end of this weekend's 1051-mile trip. The intakes performed flawlessly in the heavy storms we had in LA this weekend, no hesitation or signs of water ingestion.
Though there was this one strange instance when the car screen restarted once during a sharp corner today. I still don't know if it was from all that water or something to do with the grounding kit.. Will keep an eye on it.

In short: the car really justified the $72.50 at the pump for a full tank of gas this weekend!!
The screen problem has nothing to do with the intake. The intake has nothing electronic involved with it (at least as far as the screen is concerned)
Old 02-28-2011, 01:07 AM
borfoo3
Registered Member

I know, like I said earlier, it could either be the water or the grounding kit, nothing to do with the intakes.. I'll just wait and see what happens
Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by borfoo3
I know, like I said earlier, it could either be the water or the grounding kit, nothing to do with the intakes.. I'll just wait and see what happens
Lol the water? The only way water will affect you car is if it gets in the engine. Which won't happen unless you drive into a pond

Guaranteed it's the grounding kit.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 PM
11_xS_coupe

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
Lol the water? The only way water will affect you car is if it gets in the engine. Which won't happen unless you drive into a pond

Guaranteed it's the grounding kit.
CAI are generally lower to the ground i.e problems with i think its called hydrolocking when driving over puddles and such. Thats why hes worried im assuming.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 11_xS_coupe
CAI are generally lower to the ground i.e problems with i think its called hydrolocking when driving over puddles and such. Thats why hes worried im assuming.

Siiiiigh. Yes, I know. I have the stillen gen3 myself. I know plenty about hydro locking and also know it's virtually impossible to happen in the gen3. That's why I said earlier that the intake (and therefore the water) has nothing to do with the electronic problems
Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Very nice gains.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:52 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Romulus1
im a little shocked at the gains, i put 278-282 awd hp after Gen 3's and a CBE were installed together before a tune and upped that to 294 after the tune. 301 after HFC's were installed. Mines an 09 X Coupe so im using the 7AT as well. just a little suprised how far ahead of my results yours are, i know theres differences between dynos but thats huge.
You do know that dynometers differ, some are set to give crank, others wheel HP. Some use SAE formulas, others like DynoJet fudge it. They can even differ within a run let along re-strapping and running on different days. Their best and most accurate use is as a tuning tool, other then that there's alot of ways to unintentionally get varied readings. One things for sure with this reading, the Stillen is an improvement over stock, no doubt in my mind.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 PM
alexdee

do you drive an AT or MT borfoo3?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
take it over here and get a dyno done i bet your be shocked at the number you get..
my car goes and gets dynoed next week march 11 on a dynojet then its off to good speed for the MAHA dyno..

GoodSpeed Performance Lab
Old 02-28-2011, 08:15 PM
borfoo3
Registered Member

@alexdee: my G37 is a 7-speed AT
@chuckie311: its just like how RedG37SNC puts it, evey dyno is going to be different. But I figured by sticking to the same dyno, I'd minimize the random variables involved and produce (relatively) accurate delta gains.

Let us know how the dyno goes for you and I might take it there later on.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Romulus1

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
You do know that dynometers differ, some are set to give crank, others wheel HP. Some use SAE formulas, others like DynoJet fudge it. They can even differ within a run let along re-strapping and running on different days. Their best and most accurate use is as a tuning tool, other then that there's alot of ways to unintentionally get varied readings. One things for sure with this reading, the Stillen is an improvement over stock, no doubt in my mind.
The very last thing I say is I know there's differences between dynos... -__- its just significant for an intake. I graduated with a degree in auto tech.....

One thing I'm wondering, why does it say G35 on the other dyno sheet? Did we go over this?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 PM
tbone12

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice numbers man, it may not be 100% accurate but at least you know for sure it's an improvement, and thats what it's all about.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:37 AM
G35sportsedan

Hmmm I'm just wondering how accurate hp gains with a cold air intake on a dyno is. Stationary car means less air passing into the engine bay, does that mean you should get even more Hp if the car is in motion sucking in colder air?

Quick Reply: 09 G37: Stillen Gen 3 Cold Air Intake + Grounding Kit installed (+ dynos!!)