Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Trunk locked with keyfob inside

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 AM
jblyden20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk locked with keyfob inside

I've read a couple of posts discussing this same issue. I was trying to figure out if anyone has the latest info on this. Just for laughs about two weeks ago, I placed my keyfob inside of my trunk with the car locked and closed the trunk. The trunk locked with the the keyfob inside. I was unable to get inside of the car. I even pressed the lock/unlock buttons on the door handles. I ran inside of my house and got my spare key. Well, last night I attempted the same thing, and the trunk didn't lock and popped back open. WTH! Does anyone know the scenario that makes the trunk open when the keyfob is inside of it? I would hate to put my key inside of my backpack or gym bag and the trunk locks with it inside. Thanks for all of the info!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 AM
kosstick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jblyden20
I've read a couple of posts discussing this same issue. I was trying to figure out if anyone has the latest info on this. Just for laughs about two weeks ago, I placed my keyfob inside of my trunk with the car locked and closed the trunk. The trunk locked with the the keyfob inside. I was unable to get inside of the car. I even pressed the lock/unlock buttons on the door handles. I ran inside of my house and got my spare key. Well, last night I attempted the same thing, and the trunk didn't lock and popped back open. WTH! Does anyone know the scenario that makes the trunk open when the keyfob is inside of it? I would hate to put my key inside of my backpack or gym bag and the trunk locks with it inside. Thanks for all of the info!
I have had the trunk once not lock when the key was inside and I thought it was so Cool so I tried to show it to my friends and looked like a fool when the trunk closed...
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It should never lock with the FOB inside.

Sounds like what happened is when the FOB was inside your gym bag or backpack it caused some interference and it didnt recognize the FOB being in there.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
if you lock the car by pushing the intelligent button on the door handle, then drop the keys in the trunk before 20 seconds, it will not be activated yet.

if you physically push the lock button on the keyfob, then drop the key in the trunk, it won't lock it in.

or if there is a key less than 1 foot away from the trunk while you drop the key in the trunk, it will lock it b/c it senses another key
Old 12-13-2010, 10:53 AM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this happen as well, as frequently I put keys in my laptop bag. I opened the trunk, inserted bag, closed trunk. I hadn't yet unlocked my car...and keys were officially now locked in the car. Luckily I was at home and just grabbed my spare. Tested it a few more times...and my keys absolutely do lock inside my trunk.

I talked to the dealer about it a few days later while they were doing some warranty work, because my 07 absolutely wouldn't do this...the trunk would just pop open again. The dealer told me that was a feature that is no longer available. I thought in my head "Why the F would they get rid of that?!??!!?"
Old 12-13-2010, 11:55 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I think your dealer is lying to you.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 AM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That wouldn't be the first time...this is the same dealer that couldn't tell I had coupe wheels on my sedan...they aren't that bright...
Old 12-14-2010, 10:23 AM
DashKid
Banned

Mine has yet to lock on me once *knock on wood* and I always seem to do it because my keys are in my workout bag. It should make a sold loud beep for like a good minute or two.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:57 PM
smashhell

Originally Posted by kosstick
I have had the trunk once not lock when the key was inside and I thought it was so Cool so I tried to show it to my friends and looked like a fool when the trunk closed...
LMAO ! That exact same thing happened to me !

I tried to show my friends how cool is it where the trunk wouldn't close with the keys inside. Than it didn't work and I was locked out of my car lol
Old 12-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Buttt.... lets say you lock your car and then go inside.. you decide hey, I want a CD out of the back of my car. You go to the car and touch the trunk button and place the key FOB in the car and close the trunk you will get locked out.

Reason is the trunk button only unlocks the trunk and not the car itself.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:28 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This same thing happened to me as well. Found out if you go to the trunk immediately after getting out the car and leave your key inside the trunk will lock. But if you wait a minite or so or if your not coming from inside the car(house, store, etc.) and close the trunk with your fob inside it will immediately pop back open. Same is true for all nissan/infiniti's with intelligent key. Tested this in my friends 07 G35, and an 07 maxima. I dont think the lockout protection for the doors and the lock out protection for the trunk can work simultaneously.