Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How good is the G37x coupe in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Vic Rox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good is the G37x coupe in snow?

For those of you who own a G37x coupe how good is it in the snow? I currently own a 2004 G35 coupe and it is terrible during the winter (no surprise). I live in Chicago, IL which gets a fair share of bad snow storms. I am looking for a new ride and am interested in this awd model. I HAVE to get to my job everyday no matter the weather. For those of you who own/ have knowledge on this coupe model please share.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:17 PM
sbmwg37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend had an old g35x sedan, and he slipped on an icy road one time.
He didn't get into an accident though..
So I assume the infiniti AWD system is 'okay'
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
it comes down to the tires you use. my friend drove his Evo in the snow... it's awd but he slipped all over w/ the summer tires on. even if you have AWD it helps significantly... the g37x awd comes w/ the all season dunlops so you'll be okay
Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 AM
beerme986

I would say get the g37s and buy some snow tires. Thats what I did and I'm in PA so I see my share of snow. I dont think Infinit awd is anything to brag about but getting the awd over the sport package on the coupe is almost a sin. Dont want to change your thread but would hate to see you regret not getting the sport package.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:27 AM
HP_John

If the X was available when I got my G37, I would've gone for it. I had a E36 3-Series & IS300 before, & they handled better in snow than the G37. I would say this is probably due to the winter tire size for the G37 not being ideal (too big/low profile isn't ideal for winter, all other things being equal)
Old 09-08-2009, 08:22 AM
MoonliteMadness

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
All-wheel drive is the main reason I purchased my G37x Coupe. I too need to be at work, no matter what the weather is. I totally agree that the G37s is better looking. However, a G37s with winter tires is not a substitute for all-wheel drive. You can't put a price on safety and peace of mind, not to mention keeping your job. Bottom line, if driving in winter weather is a concern, go with the X.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:49 AM
cconklin1

G37x

Ok, I have had the following:
2004 G35 sport package
2005 G35 non sport package
2007 G35 sport package
Currently driving 2009 G37X.
I work in Naperville and live in the Oswego area. I also take some back roads to get to work. From my limited driving of the X coupe, it is TONS better than the G35 even with the car having 17" rims with Blizzak snow tires. This is with an X coupe with the stock 18" rims and tires. I imagine it will be even better when I get my new 17" set of rims with some snow tires for my X.
My 2 cents...
Best,
Chris

Trending Topics

Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 AM
jdm_inspire

Exclamation

Is it me or do most people who believe having AWD is the only solution to winter driving? AWD allows you to put power to all four wheels, so in acceleration from a stop, it's fantastic. When it comes to braking or turning (with your foot off the accelerator), it does nothing ... in fact, it might be worse since there is added weight to the AWD vehicle compared to that of a FWD or RWD vehicle. With your foot on the accelerator, then the AWD might be helpful (ie Acura's SH-AWD ... not sure if the Nissan ATTESA has the same virtues or not).

As others have already posted, the 'real' solution to winter driving is to purchase genuine snow (aka winter) tires. Any vehicle is as good as the contact patches found on the tire. If you can afford a $40k+ vehicle, a $1k investment in a decent set of snow tires will get you around in most winter conditions (RWD, FWD or AWD).

Personally, I'd forgo the AWD and purchase snow tires. (Well, I did that ... AWD to me doesn't make sense provided I don't drive like an idiot in adverse conditions and have a good set of tires for all 4 seasons). If you had the money and the inclination ... then the AWD + snow tires would be the best solution. I have friends with Subarus with snow tires ... those things are practically invincible in the winter ...

PS I'm not a fan of the Blizzaks (suggested OEM size for the G37) since they lose the winter tread compound after 1/2 way through the tread. Nokian tires is what I would suggest ...
Old 09-08-2009, 01:41 PM
VR4GSM

Originally Posted by jdm_inspire
in fact, it might be worse since there is added weight to the AWD vehicle compared to that of a FWD or RWD vehicle.
The weight difference between the X and standard coupe is negligible, a 210lb difference or the equivalent of having an average 6ft tall passenger. I have been researching the benefits of the X vs rwd G37 for my impending purchase and so specifically dealing with the Infiniti AWD system I have no real knowledge base.

AWD system has many benefits over a RWD system; acceleration being the most noticable. Depending on the vehicle's transmission, AWD can also greatly assist in turning and braking. Regarding turning, AWD can transfer power to/from any of the 4 wheels depending on which is losing traction, where a RWD system can only manage 2. Many automatics will engine brake when the accelerator is released to aid in braking ability and conserve brake pads, I dont know if the G37 does this.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Pip

Originally Posted by jdm_inspire
Is it me or do most people who believe having AWD is the only solution to winter driving? AWD allows you to put power to all four wheels, so in acceleration from a stop, it's fantastic. When it comes to braking or turning (with your foot off the accelerator), it does nothing ... in fact, it might be worse since there is added weight to the AWD vehicle compared to that of a FWD or RWD vehicle. With your foot on the accelerator, then the AWD might be helpful (ie Acura's SH-AWD ... not sure if the Nissan ATTESA has the same virtues or not).

As others have already posted, the 'real' solution to winter driving is to purchase genuine snow (aka winter) tires. Any vehicle is as good as the contact patches found on the tire. If you can afford a $40k+ vehicle, a $1k investment in a decent set of snow tires will get you around in most winter conditions (RWD, FWD or AWD).

Personally, I'd forgo the AWD and purchase snow tires. (Well, I did that ... AWD to me doesn't make sense provided I don't drive like an idiot in adverse conditions and have a good set of tires for all 4 seasons). If you had the money and the inclination ... then the AWD + snow tires would be the best solution. I have friends with Subarus with snow tires ... those things are practically invincible in the winter ...

PS I'm not a fan of the Blizzaks (suggested OEM size for the G37) since they lose the winter tread compound after 1/2 way through the tread. Nokian tires is what I would suggest ...
+ 6.022 x 10^23 on the Nokians!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Vic Rox

Thanks to those that have already posted. Much appreciated. As the winter approaches (I hate to say it) I am looking at my options. I love the g35 coupe I have, but I know it is not going to make it another winter with me. The main concern I have is being able to move/not spin out and end up in a ditch or any of that good stuff. I like to think I am a cautious driver that obeys the laws of nature when the conditions on the road change. I just want to get from point A (My house) to point B (my job) and vice versa.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Pip

Originally Posted by Vic Rox
Thanks to those that have already posted. Much appreciated. As the winter approaches (I hate to say it) I am looking at my options. I love the g35 coupe I have, but I know it is not going to make it another winter with me. The main concern I have is being able to move/not spin out and end up in a ditch or any of that good stuff. I like to think I am a cautious driver that obeys the laws of nature when the conditions on the road change. I just want to get from point A (My house) to point B (my job) and vice versa.
It's usually not the way WE drive or how our vehicles are equipped, but the 10% of the population that ignore the laws of nature.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Mike P

This is another personal preference thread. I have both the Sedan and Coupe in AWD. This last winter I had no trouble. We had a 14 inch storm and my Sedan was going to places that Hummers were going. The SUV drivers were surprised how well it did. The Coupe was just as good. I agree that driving habits and tires help. IMO AWD is the best regardless of what the RWDer say. You can make an AWD a sport by modding it. You cannot make a RWD AWD.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:56 PM
nogoodname
Banned

no matter what, you need winter tires for winter driving, whether it is AWD or RWD.

winter tires have a softer compound that can grip in cold weather
Old 09-09-2009, 05:17 PM
focker

Originally Posted by Vic Rox
Vic,

I also live in the chicago burbs, and had the same reasoning that you did when buying my g37x coupe. I'm telling you right now man, the car will not drive anything like the g35, I really miss my old car. Yes it handles much better, but the trans is garbage. Test drive the crap out of the g37x coupe before you make your purchase, the shifting points are all off, and the thing doesn't pull like the g35, it's 50hp more but it feels like 50 less.

Quick Reply: How good is the G37x coupe in snow?