Looking to add a G to the Zs

Old 03-22-2017, 04:24 PM
dat280zxt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to add a G to the Zs

Why does that sound like rap?

I've got 1974 260Z, 83 280ZX Turbo, 91 300ZX Twin Turbo. All manual, of course.

I'm looking at needing a 4 seat vehicle, so, logically, that's a G37.
But, I'm used to TTops, and want a convertible.

Tried going back a page or two, but quickly ran into posts over 6 months old.

Anyone feel like helping me with a link, search feature didn't help too much.

I'd like to know what package/model/edition of G37 convertible best lends itself to being upgraded over time.
Who wouldn't like to get a 6 speed IPL version, etc., but then adding aftermarket parts sometimes replaces IPL parts and what not, so lower "packages" aren't bad. Like, the Technology package is a good one, and I can concentrate on suspension and engine health.

What version G37 Convertible has all the "extras," but when parts start going in I'm not doubling up and away?
Car will end up at a Z shop in Houston getting Twin Turbo or supercharger work after a year of performance maintenance upgrades.

Appreciate all help.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:28 PM
dat280zxt

For example, do I want a G37 or G37S, and I've just started, so I'll be looking at the difference between years, closer to 2013 the better I'm hoping, but every car has a year model people shy away from.

In any case, any suggestions will help me focus my research.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:45 PM
BHunts

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I would suggest looking at the sport model and a 2012+. The post 2012 G's are less prone to the timing cover gasket leak and the sport has the upgraded brakes and suspension that makes driving it much more pleasurable. The tech feature is a nice touch obviously. And the manuals have more benefits over autos as far as power limitations although you will want to look into a CSC delete and CMAK from what I understand but I am just a silly 7AT owner so what do I know.. lol. Good luck on your search for your perfect fitting G
Old 03-22-2017, 05:46 PM
dat280zxt

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BHunts
ol... Good luck...

Thank you. That's some great starter information.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:50 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I would suggest looking at the sport model and a 2012+. The post 2012 G's are less prone to the timing cover gasket leak and the sport has the upgraded brakes and suspension that makes driving it much more pleasurable. The tech feature is a nice touch obviously. And the manuals have more benefits over autos as far as power limitations although you will want to look into a CSC delete and CMAK from what I understand but I am just a silly 7AT owner so what do I know.. lol. Good luck on your search for your perfect fitting G
For a silly AT owner you summed that up nicely
Old 03-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Yup, that's about it. There's other things that are different with the first years, but 2012+ are the same
Old 03-22-2017, 08:45 PM
dat280zxt

Good stuff.

Found 2009 through 2013 Infiniti G37 sport, base edition, and IPL convertible support, information, specifications, maintenance, overview, review, articles and gallery pages in the meanwhile with good breakdown of packages.
Guess I'm looking for a 2012 Sport Vert.

Fun times!

From my Datsun/Nissan experience, I'm familiar with Z1 Motorsports and ConceptZPerformance.
Anyone else I should become familiar with?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dat280zxt
Good stuff.

Found 2009 through 2013 Infiniti G37 sport, base edition, and IPL convertible support, information, specifications, maintenance, overview, review, articles and gallery pages in the meanwhile with good breakdown of packages.
Guess I'm looking for a 2012 Sport Vert.

Fun times!

From my Datsun/Nissan experience, I'm familiar with Z1 Motorsports and ConceptZPerformance.
Anyone else I should become familiar with?
I know Z1 will have just about anything you need.

There are some vert specific issues you'll run into under the car, example being no aftermarket camber kits and full exhaust systems might needed to be modded, other than that, coupe stuff works.

Lastly, they changed the gear ratio on the vert (at least on AT) and decreased the HP to 325 to compensate for the extra weight.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 AM
dat280zxt

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Trezzay
...There are some vert specific issues you'll run into under the car...

I'd been noticing that on selections. Coupes or sedans... no vert option. Good to know, worst case that's exhaust and a shop will have to do shop things, I hope they're good enough. Lol.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 AM
scarguy055

Welcome to the club! I have a Z and a G myself.

Keep in mind it is a bit heavy. IMO, throw a little money at it if you want to customize and/or increase power, but remember that it's not something you're ever going to modify into a track car.

If you need extra seats for the kids, the 'vert is really fun with the top down. If you need it for anyone over 5' tall and want to stay within the same family, you may want to reconsider the G37 sedan or the Q50, as leg/head room in the rear seat is almost non-existent on the 'vert.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:34 AM
dat280zxt

Arrow

Originally Posted by scarguy055
... extra seats for the kids...

Exactly this. And the one that'll be tall won't be 5ft for long enough for one of the stepkids that'll have their own car in time.
Besides. This is TX. Camelbaks with ice and that's 10mos of good Vert down time. Hah!

The two Turbo Zs are my speed demons, the extra HP in the G would be to counter the weight of this beast. We... have lead feet in this family.

Brakes and HP boosts up to HP/lb until it feels right.

Thanks for the input.

Search this Thread