Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Steering wheel control unit car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:49 AM
Billyboy57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel control unit car will not start

Hi I am new on the forum just wondered if anyone has any idea about this problem, red key and yellow key symbol show on dash car does not start new batterys in key fobs tried both and in manual slot still nothing lights on dash except the above car does not start. Car Battery fine doors open close with fob 😁
Contacted Infiniti In maidstone Kent UK cannot look at car until 12 Dec so car stuck where it would not start any ideas what I can do I was told it could be the steering control unit !! I can have the car taken back to my home but they will not take it to garage for repair once it has been taken to my house as do not have home start on the poilcy 😬 Any ideas please
Old 11-30-2016, 01:06 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Does the car enter accessory or on mode when you press the start button with your foot off the brake pedal? Does the car do anything when you attempt to start it?
Old 11-30-2016, 01:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Try a simple and cheap solution first. Replace the battery in all of your key fobs. Then lock and unlock the doors using both fobs, not the button in the handle. It might solve your problem or might not, but it is a simple and very inexpensive thing to rule out before going for an expensive tow and service visit.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:07 PM
Billyboy57

Originally Posted by Epiphany
Does the car enter accessory or on mode when you press the start button with your foot off the brake pedal? Does the car do anything when you attempt to start it?
Hi Epiphany
No other lights on the dash come on at all just the red security car and the yellow key symbol with foot on brake also the gear lever does not release from the park position.

Thanks for your question.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:09 PM
Billyboy57

Hi black Betty
Thanks for reply will try 2 more new batterys as you suggest, the doors open and close and indicators flash so I presume the fob is working.

Kind regards
Billyboy57
Old 11-30-2016, 07:30 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,015 Posts
I would double check the main battery to ensure it is good and has a full charge. If nothing else comes on it stands a good chance that the battery is less than par. Probably wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery for 30 minites or so to reset everything either.

Same goes for the fob batteries. I can't count how many times I've bought new Energizer batteries from Walmart only for them to be dead as doornails.

Also, I would check the brake (and clutch if 6MT) pedal switch(es). My neighbors Altima wouldn't try to start for no mans army and we eventually traced it to the brake pedal switch which came loose.

Like Black Betty suggested, try the simplest things first. Let's hope it is not the infamous steering lock failure.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:31 AM
Billyboy57

Hi Ilm
Have taken battery off the car for charging and will get 2 more new fob batterys today, seen on utube that some times the steering control unit gets stuck they suggest giving it a tap LOL !! Will be going back to car today to put the battery back and try new fob batterys, also check brake pedal switch as its automatic.
Thanks for your help guys / girls I am lucky as the car is left were I work and is secure unit ���� I've booked it in to stealership for the 12th Dec just hope can sort it out myself before then ����