pls help me ondeciding offset wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 10:03 PM
Bill Whitlock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Check out Wedsport 18s, they are light, nice quality, and not crazy expensive.
thanks for the tip man! I'll look into those for sure.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:31 AM
Bill Whitlock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bloody hell, I just typed all this and my browser **** the bed and I lost it all. Here we go again.

I'm wrestling with the decision to do my wheels/tires first or long tube headers first. Prolly gonna go with the headers and do the wheels/tires later, as I still have plenty of good tread left on my current ones. And I don't really NEED the wheels/tires until it's time to supercharge!!

I looked into the Wedssport wheels but the only place that sells them is an hour away and I have no idea how much they cost or weigh. Plus their phone number is a fax machine. Ghetto.

So I spent some time on the phone today with an exceptionally helpful gentleman named Sonny at tirerack.com. He helped me examine several sets of options for wheels/tires. Here's what we decided on as of now, but I do have plenty of time to change my mind since the rims I decided on won't be in til the end of October.

245/45R18 in the front, 275/40R18 in the rear. I was gonna go with 285s in the rear but Sonny recommended this size. Much cheaper, about a pound lighter per tire, the tire is a little shorter in height (so it takes less power to turn it), and going with a 275 means I can trim half an inch off the width of the wheel, also saving me a couple pounds. All I give up is 1/10 of an inch in tread touching the ground, which will also help a little with fuel economy. But, he said, if grip is my concern, I can always make up the difference and then some just by going with a stickier compound. I don't plan on taking the car to the track or anything, so as of now I'm going to go with an all-season tire.

If I recall our convo correctly, my front tires will only be about $190/each and the rears about $280 each. I don't recall the exact tire but it sounded like a good choice when we spoke lol.

Here are the wheels I decided on, for now at least. Again, I've got plenty of time to change my mind if I find something I like better, but these are a good blend of appearance, weight savings, and price. $1100 for all four wheels. If I remember correctly, I'm going with an 18 x 7.5" in the front (about 18 lbs each) and 18 x 9" in the rear (about 20.5 lbs).
Advanti DST Svelto Titanium Mirror

Again, the wheels won't be in until end of October, so I've got plenty of time to explore other ideas. I'm all ears if you guys have some! Thanks!
Old 08-27-2016, 08:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, but talk to Jason@Getyourwheels.com. Here's the Wedsport site and you can download the spec sheets on specific models. The Wedsports are a big jump up from Advantis in quality, and it sounds like that's important to you WedsSport « Weds Wheels North America
The following users liked this post:
Bill Whitlock (08-27-2016)