Help me pick Xmas mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 256 Likes on 228 Posts
Lightbulb Help me pick Xmas mods

Last edited by Redfire32; 11-27-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I've installed the head/tail overlays and they can be a chore unless you've done quite a bit of vinyl work. Mine came out good but teh first one took forever, lol. IMO painting is the way to go. Here's a good DIY for the coupe tails
https://www.myg37.com/forums/picture...per-gloss.html
And another that shows more sanding details
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...se-cutout.html
So that said I'd vote for the supplies to get your headlight/taillight mods done, IMO that will give you the most bang for your buck and your wifes gift will really have an impact. And those TSX lenses are awesome. I assume you've seen Anthonys' DIY here~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...lens-swap.html
When I did my headlights it was a PITA but the result was so worth it, the taillights were much easier and the results were even better considering how easy that one was
Old 11-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Did you bake your headlights open yourself? That's the part that scares me the most.

And I forgot to put strut bar on the potential gift list
Old 11-28-2014, 08:34 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Redfire32
Did you bake your headlights open yourself? That's the part that scares me the most.
I did, it's not bad. The main thing is knowing how to pry off the cover once you get the seal softened up. I tried prying up all along the edge and ended up w/ a lot of gouges (not seen but I know they're there). The second light I just heated up and pried one corner enough to grip it, then w/ steady pressure was able to cleanly lift the cover, much cleaner and easier. The actual baking of the light is no biggie, and you can get a good edge to lift and reheat if the seal gets tight again. The main PITA is removing the bumper (which I can now do in about 15 minutes, lol) then removing several of the bezels, shrouds, etc in the lights and then painting. The whole project isn't hard, just time consuming, set aside a weekend and in the end you'll be glad you did (just not so happy WHILE you're doing it).
Old 11-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Do you still have the OE sway bars? Probably within the gift budget if you dont already have them.....
Old 11-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Do you still have the OE sway bars? Probably within the gift budget if you dont already have them.....
Yes sir I still have the OEM sways. Only problem with that strategy is Ive been keeping all of my OEM parts after I've upgraded away from them. I'm trying to avoid a massive part out several years from now. The only possible exception (so far anyway) is my stock wheels and tires. I haven't decided to sell them yet, but I'm leaning in that direction. I plan on keeping the 37 just as long as I had my G35. So I'm not sure if I should store my stock potenzas with only 15K on them in my garage for 6-7 years.

Brad that explaination of the opening process for the headlights really helped me understand the process much better. I've been reading thru the build threads today and Im starting to see why you recommended chosing the headlight project over all the other options. Painted headlights with angel eyes or something similar makes a huge difference in the overall appeal of the car. It seems like this is especially true with the white G's that are in the build threads. I'd like to setup the headlight/taillight paint project at the same time as my engine bay paint job. Hey them both done at the same time.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:49 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Redfire32
Yes sir I still have the OEM sways. Only problem with that strategy is Ive been keeping all of my OEM parts after I've upgraded away from them. I'm trying to avoid a massive part out several years from now.
I'm just saying, swaybars are a transformation mod. Of all the things I've done, sways made the single biggest impact on how the car handles. The Koni yellows are a close second.

I wouldn't deprive yourself of handling awesomeness just because you have to store the OE sway
The following 2 users liked this post by Lego_Maniac:
Redfire32 (11-30-2014), twin_snails (12-01-2014)

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2014, 03:28 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hang a mistletoe over your junk.
It never fails.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
You send her email on where to buy the carsmo ***** and midnight grille. Those ***** are packaged in a really professional manner. It's almost weird how nicely packaged they are, like they're a boutique item. The point being, it makes for a fine gift, and when she sees it in person, she'll be feeling like she's getting you something really nice. Like jewelry. (Which isn't a half-bad analogy.)

Same thinking on the grille, because she can touch it and appreciate it more as a gift. Everything else is either something you need to deal with personally, or is too abstract for a gift.

Originally Posted by gugarci
It never fails.
Ho ho ho!

The following users liked this post:
RayCARSMO (11-29-2014)
Old 11-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Smile

Originally Posted by gugarci
It never fails.
This cracked me up. But sadly it doesn't help me because my wife is allergic to mistletoe. I know I know people can't develop allergies to mistletoe...right? That's exactly what I said when I found out.

Ya know It's kinda weird now that I think about it. In our dating years (during the Christms season...of course) she NEVER had a problem with...uh-hum...mistletoe. Perhaps the odd wedding cake she chose caused a strange manifestation of this "mistletoe" allergy.

Last edited by Redfire32; 11-30-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:00 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

"IT's my D!€K in a Box!!" LMFAO nice one Rockchester!

Thoughtful advice as well. I hadn't thought the project gifts through entirely when I made this thread. I just wanted to get every option I could think of listed on here so the help session could begin.

Lego-my-maniac, I agree with you that Sways should be wjat Im shooting for as my next mod. The best bang for buck sloagan follows the words sway bars consistantly on here and I don't doubt the validity of the claim. I kept sways off the list bc of the installation part of that gift. I've yet to gain any experience with sways and I take pride in learning all this stuff when I get the opportunity to install a new mod. I wanted to give my wife the pleasure of seeing my gift enjoyed rather quickly. Instead of having it sit in my garage until I get a few hours free from my little boys and a buddy over here to help me install them.

Last edited by Redfire32; 11-30-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
You don't have aftermarket swaybars yet... WTF, man? Particularly on that incredibly heavy Vert.

But not from your wife as an Xmas gift. You want her to get something that you both can see.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:12 PM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Sway bars are next on my list. Well...unless something else I want comes up on the PC's for a good price before I'm able to order them.

I can't buy anything else that requires an intensive install until I get my LTH's put in. I've got 2 friend who have the ability to help me put them in my car. just waiting on one of them to take me up on my offer.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Kuro
Registered Member

Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts
+1 for sway bars BIG impovement. If I were you I would just get my grill painted cheaper and looks better than midnight grill IMO
Old 12-01-2014, 03:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Those ***** are packaged in a really professional manner. It's almost weird how nicely packaged they are, like they're a boutique item. The point being, it makes for a fine gift, and when she sees it in person, she'll be feeling like she's getting you something really nice. Like jewelry. (Which isn't a half-bad analogy.)
Those TXS lenses come in a nice box too, not as nice as Rays' HVAC *****, but some nice crystal in there Should be easy to gift wrap.

And ditto lol on the d ck in a box

Quick Reply: Help me pick Xmas mods