2010 vert gun metal metallic (KAD) equivalent

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:10 PM
miketyler
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 vert gun metal metallic (KAD) equivalent

I am looking for a rear spoiler for my car and cant seem to find one in KAD. One dealer has one in "Shadow Grey". Is that possibly the same color?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:31 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by miketyler
I am looking for a rear spoiler for my car and cant seem to find one in KAD. One dealer has one in "Shadow Grey". Is that possibly the same color?
I doubt it - to confirm, ask the dealer for the paint code for the one they have. Shadow Metallic is code KAC

If you can't find on in your specific color, there are a few VERY INEXPENSIVE convertible spoilers on ebay (in other colors) that you can simply have painted to match your ride.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2012-Infiniti-G37-G37x-G37s-Convertible-Trunk-Spoiler-Antenna-Lip-Wing-QAA-/221398737446?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AG37&hash=item338c64a226&vxp=mtrI bought my spoiler from this vendor in March of 2011. If you don't feel comfortable via eBay, call Roman at AAA Management at 732.446.6834 directly and he will take care of you.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:41 PM
miketyler
Registered Member

Thanks- yes, I have seen them on eBay at really cheap prices. I can paint but was hoping to find one ready to install and save the expense.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 AM
miketyler
Registered Member

Actually I noticed he has one in "Liquid Platinum" (K23) and the other in "Shadow Gray" (QAA). Its hard to tell from the pics but would like to get closer one to Gun Metal Metallic" (KAD) for best chance of a match. Sometimes manufacturers will take an established color for a car and offer it the next model year and call it something else. Was hoping this might have been the case for Gun Metal.

Where is it these dealers are getting these OEM parts so cheap?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Actually I noticed he has one in "Liquid Platinum" (K23) and the other in "Shadow Gray" (QAA). Its hard to tell from the pics but would like to get closer one to Gun Metal Metallic" (KAD) for best chance of a match. Sometimes manufacturers will take an established color for a car and offer it the next model year and call it something else. Was hoping this might have been the case for Gun Metal.
Mike -
Unless it is the exact paint code, it will NOT match. As you noted, there are several "close" colors especially in the dark gray shades but, they are all slightly different. My suggestion to get the white would be the best option for a respray with the OEM color - this likely wouldn't cost more than $200 or so at a reputable body shop.

Where is it these dealers are getting these OEM parts so cheap?
So the deal with the OEM rear spoilers for the Vert is a very interesting story. The spoilers were available as a $499 (plus install) dealer option for about 6 months (from June 2009 through November 2009) when the Verts were first available. The parts were then pulled from the market and dealers were "Out of Stock" without any official notification of why. There was speculation that the added weight was detrimental to the hydraulic trunk openers but I am not aware of an official communication of why the spoilers were not available at dealerships. Late 2010 there were several aftermarket sources that had a significant amount of OEM spoilers available (although the spoilers were still not available from dealerships). Initially, aftermarket sources were selling the spoilers for $199 or more and over time, the prices have continued to fall to less than $50 today although it appears that availability is now drying up.

For the record, I installed my spoiler over 3 years ago and have had no issues with my trunk. Installation in the 2009 & 2010 models does require you to drill 4 holes in the trunk (2 on the lid and 2 on the face). In 2011 the holes in the trunk face were pre-drilled but the spoilers weren't available as a dealer option. The other great benefit of the spoiler is that you can eliminate the stupid antenna on the trunk lid as it is replaced with an integrated antenna in the spoiler itself and a color matched cap for the SAT antenna/GPS is included in the spoiler parts pack.

I hope this helps you make an educated decision.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:54 PM
retrogeek
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KAD 'vert spoiler

It doesn't exist in KAD. Trust me - I have a 2013 'vert in KAD (Graphite Shadow). I wanted the spoiler for the sporty looks, and getting rid of the completely ridiculous-looking stubby whip FM antenna was just a welcome bonus. I searched for a VERY LONG time for a factory-KAD spoiler. I can assure you, it was never made.
The Shadow Gray isn't the best choice either, if you're going to use it as-is. The closest you'll get is the K6030-JJ53B, which is the correct spoiler in K51 color (Platinum Graphite). That's what I got. It was *astoundingly* close to the KAD, and if you aren't picky, you'd have a hard time telling the colors weren't the same except in bright sun. But I got mine for such a ridiculously low price (and I mean really low - like $75 shipped) that I went ahead and had my local shop paint it to match. They used the old antenna to match the paint from, and it looks great. They even painted the little cap for the GPS receiver.
They're getting harder to find, but they still pop up on eBay every now and then. Keep an active search for the "K6030-JJ53B" string, and you'll get a K51 one eventually. Although, if you're going to just go ahead and have it prepped and painted I suppose it doesn't matter what color it starts out.

Oh, one extra note about installing the 'vert spoiler. It absolutely requires drilling into the sheet metal of the trunk in several places. If you aren't mentally prepared to take a drill to your $40K automobile, and do it absolutely correctly, look for a shop to install it for you. If you can get past the drilling part, it's not beyond the do-it-yourselfer to install.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 PM
miketyler
Registered Member

Man, I appreciate all the great information. I thought I had read that in 2010 the code "KAD" indicated "gun metal metallic" so it just confuses things between the years when you are trying to match colors. From your post, I purchased the K51 you recommended this morning. Am looking forward to installing and painting if need be. Thanks again all.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Does anyone know why this part doesnt fit ona 2013 IPL vert? the back end looks alot the same but most that i see show it not compatible. i really want just a little something back there. not a big fan of whaletails except on a old 930 turbo but just think it needs something. i really like the rear bumper and lower valance more on the coupe too than the vert. wish they had made it similar.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 PM
miketyler
Registered Member

I would think its the same if IPL trunk lid is the same as vert.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:37 AM
retrogeek
Registered Member

2013 spoiler compat.

Originally Posted by Pnrymmf
Does anyone know why this part doesnt fit ona 2013 IPL vert? the back end looks alot the same but most that i see show it not compatible. i really want just a little something back there. not a big fan of whaletails except on a old 930 turbo but just think it needs something. i really like the rear bumper and lower valance more on the coupe too than the vert. wish they had made it similar.
It most decidedly fits my 2013 6MT (Non-IPL) 'vert. And since as far as I know the IPL and S sheet metal are the same, I can't imagine it wouldn't work on the 2013 IPL. I'd wager people were just too lazy to update their compatibility lists.
And I agree - leave the whale-tails to the 911's and Supras. The little deck-lid lip spoiler is the PERFECT finishing touch. I still wonder why they didn't just make it standard equipment on the S/IPL.
I suppose if I can find a minute of free time when the sun is still up, I'll take some pictures of mine and post them.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 AM
retrogeek
Registered Member

Man, I appreciate all the great information. I thought I had read that in 2010 the code "KAD" indicated "gun metal metallic" so it just confuses things between the years when you are trying to match colors.
Ya, I saw that too - and to make it even worse, Nissan still refers to the current KAD 370Z as being "Gun Metal Metallic". Yet my 2013 KAD G37 was officially labeled as "Graphite Shadow". It's always best to rely on the paint codes. They're at least consistent, and are the codes a body shop would use when getting paint to match.

From your post, I purchased the K51 you recommended this morning. Am looking forward to installing and painting if need be. Thanks again all.
Glad to help. A couple more quick notes:
- The install is permanent once you decide to do it. There's adhesive strips for weather sealing that you'll have a heck of a time replacing if the spoiler comes back off, not to mention the residue that will be left stuck to the trunk. You can test-fit it all you want, but once you peel the sticky weather strips, it's going to STAY on the car. Make your decision about paint/not paint before you commit. It's way cheaper and easier to paint the spoiler off the car.
- DO NOT "test fit" the little plastic cap to the satellite antenna if you're going to have it painted - it's a one-way permanent install as well. I made this mistake, and the poor guys at my body shop had to spray the cap with the antenna attached. Not the best way to do it.
The following users liked this post:
miketyler (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 06:49 AM
miketyler
Registered Member

I have read the questions about adding weight to the rear deck lid and the existing lift cylinders not having the capacity to lift the added weight. Any truth to this? My vert trunk lid takes considerable effort to raise and I cant see a lightweight hollow plastic spoiler making any difference on my car.

Last edited by miketyler; 04-20-2014 at 06:33 PM. Reason: corrected mispelling
Old 04-16-2014, 02:29 PM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks retrogeek. i thought it would fit too but wasnt sure. for the low cost i may go ahead and get one anyway so i have on hand.

Miketyler i agree too. It doesnt seem that little piece would throw off the balance or weight issues. my trunk lid seems to raise more (faster) on the left side than the right. it is about time to service mine so i was going to take it to the dearler and have them make sure it is raising properly. Looks like the seals appear to have different wear too but it may be im just looking for stuff now.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 PM
retrogeek
Registered Member

I have read the questions about adding wait to the rear deck lid and the existing lift cylinders not having the capacity to lift the added weight. Any truth to this? My vert trunk lid takes considerable effort to raise and I cant see a lightweight hollow plastic spoiler making any difference on my car.
So, during the install, the "chrome strip" comes off, and you have to move several parts - including the camera and a couple of the bolts - TO the new spoiler. Mine's all installed now, so I can't exactly go weigh it, but if there's a difference between the spoiler and the chrome strip's weight, I'd wager it's in OUNCES at most. Not to mention that the dumb stubby FM whip antenna (which probably weighs close to what the chrome strip does) comes off, and it's at the center of the trunk lid, while the spoiler is above the pivot point for the 'vert operation. If someone wants to weigh all the parts from an uninstalled spoiler, I'd do the math just as a self-serving exercise, but I think any suggestion that the weight of the spoiler would tax/affect/break the 'vert lift mechanisms is borderline insanity.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 PM
miketyler
Registered Member

Agreed - I got my spoiler Friday and as was mentioned, K51 is close but is not KAD. It seems just a shad lighter and maybe even has a hint of gold when placed next to KAD. (I tested with the antenna cover laying on the deck lid)

It is close though and would bet many would just roll with it. I pulled my fuel door and had my paint dealer mix up a pint of KAD in PPG DBC and tint to match. I plan to do a spray out and test next week before I shoot it.

Quick Reply: 2010 vert gun metal metallic (KAD) equivalent