convertible top rattles and squeaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:39 PM
johnsinfiniti12

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
convertible top rattles and squeaks

I have an 2012 g37 s conv. I love the car however however,After one year and a couple of days I was driving the car and realized it sounded like a bucket of bolts. At that time I did not realize it was the top. I then brought it in to the dealer and they informed me that they had a tech bulletin regarding problems with rattling and squeaking from the convertible tops. they had the car two days and less than two weeks later, it again sounds like a bucket of bolts. Prior to this car I oned an 07 volvo c70 hardtop conv, and do not remember ever having noises associated with the top.
I am very disappointed mainly because I love the car and paid 52 k !!!! There has to be some fix for this (?) Right? Someone please enlighten me!!!!! thanks
The following users liked this post:
westfw (05-14-2023)
Old 02-05-2013, 02:58 PM
JerseyG37s

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
you cant just mainly do the TSB for the rattles in the roof there could very well be rattles in the headrest (i have seen this many times) rattles in the back of the seats dash where the roof meets the latches i mean the rattle could be anywhere... your main question to the dealer is what did you actually do because to me it sounds like the just lubed the back windshield and sent it to wash....
Old 02-05-2013, 02:58 PM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Dude welcome to the many of us having the same problem, I have a 2011 myself and I've brought it to the dealer a million times , and they have done all the tsb's and still nothing has changed . It's something that you just have to deal with
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM
zdubin

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Just picked up a 2010 G37 S with a pinball machine in the roof, I took it in for service and they fixed 90% of the noises. That was 2 weeks ago and I haven't opened the roof again yet, it's been really cold in New Jersey.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zdubin
Just picked up a 2010 G37 S with a pinball machine in the roof, I took it in for service and they fixed 90% of the noises. That was 2 weeks ago and I haven't opened the roof again yet, it's been really cold in New Jersey.
i feel mine was good for a week then the rattles came back
Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 PM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting. I also have a 2012 and have had it for 11 months. So far the roof has been pretty quiet. I get a bit of squeeking on very cold mornings, but it goes away as the car warms up.
From what I have read in the forums is the skill level of the dealership plays a big part in getting the noise issue resolved. I recall reading some posts where after many frustrating visits owners take the car to another dealership and instantly get better results. Something to keep in mind.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Rpfields

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealership performed the roof related TSB but admitted that my issue was not related. They call in a Infiniti expert had the car overnight and returned it to me issue resolved. It was best described as a pronounced rattle in the rear passenger mechanism.

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 PM
zdubin

Originally Posted by Rpfields
My dealership performed the roof related TSB but admitted that my issue was not related. They call in a Infiniti expert had the car overnight and returned it to me issue resolved. It was best described as a pronounced rattle in the rear passenger mechanism.
Could you explain this further. I had multiple rattles in the roof which were all fixed except one. Sounds like it's coming from the back seat near the passenger rear window? Is this what you had? What was the fix?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:54 PM
G37Paul
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find another dealer... My car has been rattle free for over a year and has so far stayed that way after all the TSBs were done and they replaced my backseat back which also had it's own rattle. You car can and should be quiet. I was losing my patience too with all the attempts and failures (before the TSBs), but eventually, my dealer got it right and it stayed that way.

If your last rattle is the backseat, it may be the safety roll bar assembly that pops up out of the headrests that are rattling around. That's why they changed my backseat back.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Tal Moore

Originally Posted by Rpfields
My dealership performed the roof related TSB but admitted that my issue was not related..
What is TSB? Sorry, I'm new
Old 05-19-2013, 07:16 PM
zdubin

TSB=Technical Service Bulletin
Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Panamajon

I took my 2010 vert to the dealership around the summer of 2011 and then again in the summer of 2012, both times they got rid of the rattle for only a couple of weeks and then it came back. It's at the point where it's embarrassing to have others ride in my vehicle.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:36 PM
colnajoe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know, im at the point where I really dont care if I have noises. When it rains, rubber seals squeak, put the top down, I can hear the top rattle a bit in the trunk. Top up and hit a few bumps, it rattles....but guess what guys, OUR TOPS FOLD DOWN INTO OUR TRUNKS IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS, AND WITH THAT OPEN FEELING OF AWESOMENESS, THE NOISES NO LONGER MATTER!!!!! Seriously, everytime I pass a coupe or sedan, I know what they are thinking.....I would put up with twice the noise I do now, for that feeling. And are they beautiful or what with the top down?
Rattle away, cause I know im just 26 seconds away from complete bliss OK, IM GONNA GO FOR A CRUISE, TOP DOWN OF COURSE.....
The following users liked this post:
kiseliok (10-18-2016)
Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Autocutter
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My rattle sounds a bit different than most complains- In the back, it sounds like a plastic ruler being held on the edge of desk and being plucked and released-it comes mostly from the right rear, but sometimes from the left. Anyone have any ideas what this is?
Old 01-06-2016, 08:59 PM
s24deberry

Originally Posted by johnsinfiniti12
I have an 2012 g37 s conv. I love the car however however,After one year and a couple of days I was driving the car and realized it sounded like a bucket of bolts. At that time I did not realize it was the top. I then brought it in to the dealer and they informed me that they had a tech bulletin regarding problems with rattling and squeaking from the convertible tops. they had the car two days and less than two weeks later, it again sounds like a bucket of bolts. Prior to this car I oned an 07 volvo c70 hardtop conv, and do not remember ever having noises associated with the top.
I am very disappointed mainly because I love the car and paid 52 k !!!! There has to be some fix for this (?) Right? Someone please enlighten me!!!!! thanks
Did you realize the convertible alone weighs 453lbs? That's why it rattles and squeaks a little when you go over a bump or turning into a driveway. I have one so I know. I did my research with Car and Driver on the 2009 G37 convertible (what I have) and discovered that tidbit. The mechanics that goes into making it a hardtop convertible...motor, hydraulics, and the extra heavy roof panel all contribute to the squeaks and light rattle you hear. It's nothing to be concerned about, but if it bothers you that much you may be happier with a coupe. I love the open air feel of mine so I'm okay with it. It's a small trade-off to enjoy a hardtop convertible (in my opinion).

Quick Reply: convertible top rattles and squeaks