Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

Q50 2.0 turbo coming

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 12:58 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm all for different variants of engines for the Q50. All makes do it. so what's the big deal? BMW ****** out their cars with all sorts of engines. it gives you choices. nothing wrong with that. let say someone likes a bmw 3series but don't want to pay the 335 price tag, they can get a 320. not everyone needs 300+hp

and i wish nissan/infiniti would share more engines with Mercedes. They make some badass engines.
The following users liked this post:
mj_39 (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[
I'm all for different variants of engines for the Q50. All makes do it. so what's the big deal? BMW ****** out their cars with all sorts of engines. it gives you choices. nothing wrong with that. let say someone likes a bmw 3series but don't want to pay the 335 price tag, they can get a 320. not everyone needs 300+hp

and i wish nissan/infiniti would share more engines with Mercedes. They make some badass engines.
The 2.0t engine is from MB. More of them to come to offer more than one engine option per model just like you mentioned. I can't understand why some simply can't wrap their heads around this concept, and that it will appeal to a greater spectrum of buyers so as to sell more cars and grow the brand. I guess some people can only see a small part of things rather than the big picture like CEOs have to do.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:46 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Yeah I think it's just offering another engine. No way they would completely eliminate the 3.7L VQ, at least for now. There's a lot of forces in play that are driving these decisions...more stringent emissions requirements, cost of fuel.

Marketing to the masses has to happen sooner or later for most publicly traded companies. There's only so many people that can afford $80k luxury vehicles that they can sell to, ergo the necessity to go mass market with vehicles that have low entry price points.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

It's not like the G37 is some rare exotic car being bastardized. It's a mid priced grand touring car. MB has done it. BMW has done it. Cadillac has done it. Lexus has done it. Jaguar has done it. <insert most any luxury brand here> has done it.

If this was rarefied air like Ferarri, Laborghini, etc. it would be a a big deal. If AMG can slap a 2.0l turbo in a car (that's much, much faster than a G37), why not Infiniti?
Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 PM
cecrops

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I'm all for engine choices but I guess you can just call me a stickler for Japanese engineering. Why not go with something like a redesigned 3 cylinder turbo similar to the DIG-T R, bring some innovation like they did with the VVEL. I guess some people will just be happy with whatever the CEO decides will help their bottom line the most cost effectively.

Is the GT-R rarefied air enough to be a big deal or does it qualify for this engine as well?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
I'm just against the watering down of ANY well designed vehicle. If I wanted fuel economy I would have bought a Prius... Hopefully the "blokes" across the pond keep that 2.0L T over there. Frankly, I guess it's just me, but isn't a vehicle supposed to be inspiring to drive? This is just my .02 and it's probably not even worth that.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by warped ideas
I'm just against the watering down of ANY well designed vehicle. If I wanted fuel economy I would have bought a Prius... Hopefully the "blokes" across the pond keep that 2.0L T over there. Frankly, I guess it's just me, but isn't a vehicle supposed to be inspiring to drive? This is just my .02 and it's probably not even worth that.
Then I guess it's a good thing they aren't going to force an engine swap on you! Lol. The marketplace is getting so globally competitive that almost no car company can afford to focus on just the US maket exclusively.

Originally Posted by cecrops
I'm all for engine choices but I guess you can just call me a stickler for Japanese engineering. Why not go with something like a redesigned 3 cylinder turbo similar to the DIG-T R, bring some innovation like they did with the VVEL. I guess some people will just be happy with whatever the CEO decides will help their bottom line the most cost effectively.

Is the GT-R rarefied air enough to be a big deal or does it qualify for this engine as well?
I guess you've been getting constantly disappointed because the automotive market has been a global hodge lodge for quite a while. The end of Japanese cars using exclusive Japanese engineering is nigh. I'm not worried about what other engines are offered because I already have my G37 that has a VVEL 3.7L engine. What other cars have doesn't upset me. I didn't get butthurt over the G25 either. People here didn't want it so it didn't last in this market. If they're wrong about the 2.0L turbo 4 it won't sell either. But I bet it will.

I'd be all for another engine choice in the GTR. MB has several AMG power plants that would be right at home under the hood. My vote is for the M177 - 4.0L twin turbo V8 please.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:30 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

So you wouldn't like the Audi RS5 or S5 either? Since Audi pt a 2.0 in the A5.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:01 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by ]\[ /-\ ]\/[
So you wouldn't like the Audi RS5 or S5 either? Since Audi pt a 2.0 in the A5.
RS5:
  • Engine type - Eight-cylinder
  • Displacement (cc)/Bore and stroke (mm) - 4,163/84.5 x 92.8
  • Horsepower (@ rpm) - 450 @ 8,250
  • Torque (lb-ft @ rpm) - 317 @ 4,000 – 6,000
  • Engine block - Aluminum alloy
  • Cylinder head - Aluminum alloy
  • Valvetrain - 32-valve DOHC with variable valve timing
  • Induction/Fuel injection - FSI®
  • Acceleration (0-60 mph) - 4.5 sec.
  • Top track speed - 174 mph6
Thats a wee bit different in my humble opinion brother. No to the A5..... S5 yes with the 3.0T
Old 06-03-2014, 11:46 PM
]\[ /-\ ]\/[
Registered Member

Exactly my point! No need to give me the specs. That's just an example. That's another engine for the Audi 5 series. So you don't have a problem with Audi (or Lexus, BMW, Benz....) doing it yet all this fuss over Infiniti doing it? Lol

And the possible future model Q50 Eau Rouge has an expected 500+ HP from a twin turbo. Yet another engine variant
Old 06-18-2014, 10:31 PM
JohnnyCham
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly, this is the type of info that makes me not want to pursue another Infiniti when it's time for another vehicle. I'm not a fan of the Q50 as it is, then throw a weed wacker motor in it and it takes the cake. Next thing you know there will be a Q in every driveway just like there is a Honda or Hyndai in every driveway. "Not really making your cars sought after Infiniti."

i know right? i probably will not be purchasing a nissan or infiniti any more. i mean, name all your car's Q? why are they chasing the european's? i would have never hired that idiot to be infiniti president that came from audi. now they are sourcing engine that they can build? they can't stroke that juke motor instead, turn the psi's up and blow the **** out of everyone?
Old 06-19-2014, 05:12 PM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least it's turbo charged. BMW sells 1.6L and 1.8L overseas. Some of them aren't even turbocharged.

So is the IPL gonna come with the AMG 2.0T from the CLA45?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
so they announce a 3.8 twin turbo with 565 hp, and you're complaining because they are also doing a 2.0 turbo for the other spectrum. Get the car you want and be happy As Black Betty said, guarantee for less money you can get way more performance out of the 2.0 t than you can with the N/A 3.7.

A lot of research goes into these moves, marketing and seeing what will sell, if there is a demand for something why not build it? The nixed the convertible, why? Because it doesn't sell well and eats up money that can be put into other vehicles. They are all strategic moves.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:29 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I had a C250 as a rental last year... it really sucked.

And it was a 2WD, so didnt deduct the ~40 HP from the 4matic system.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:21 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
so they announce a 3.8 twin turbo with 565 hp, and you're complaining because they are also doing a 2.0 turbo for the other spectrum. Get the car you want and be happy As Black Betty said, guarantee for less money you can get way more performance out of the 2.0 t than you can with the N/A 3.7.

A lot of research goes into these moves, marketing and seeing what will sell, if there is a demand for something why not build it? The nixed the convertible, why? Because it doesn't sell well and eats up money that can be put into other vehicles. They are all strategic moves.
Really? That 2.0T is going to out perform a 3.7L? Maybe so..... They are just turning a relatively classy and powerful sedan into another run of the mill commuter box. There will be three or four at every stop light. Guess they want to compete with the Sonata now. Thankfully they shouldn't be here in the states for a bit longer.

Quick Reply: Q50 2.0 turbo coming