Forced Induction Reviews on forced induction

Review Stillen Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 PM
g37mobbin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kyle@STILLEN
UPDATE:

For the last couple of weeks we have been off the forums and working diligently on resolving the couple of issues that we have seen. We have been working behind the scenes with the couple of customers that have experienced issues after their supercharger installation. The vast majority of our customers who have received and installed their supercharger systems are on the roads and enjoying their kits. Unfortunately we have had reports from a couple of customer’s experiencing issues that we did not experience on any of the vehicles we tested prior to releasing the kit. We are continuing to work day and night and through the weekends to work on correcting any issues these customer’s have been experiencing.

To date we have been working very hard on the tuning and software that we use. Early in the development of our supercharger system we made the decision to tune via the UpRev software, directly through the factory ECU. In the beginning of the year Jared (UpRev head tuner) and John (UpRev head engineer) both flew out to our shop and trained our guys on how to use their software. This time was vital as the UPrev guys were able to show our engineers the ins and outs of their software and offer tips on what to expect. They spent about a week with our engineering team and everyone felt like we were on the right path and had a great partner to work with. Fortunately, UpRev has been very supportive to aid in correcting these couple of issues. At this time we have arranged to bring Jared out from Texas first thing Monday and he will spend next week working with our team again to correct the issues a couple of our customers are having.

The UpRev software that we are using is identical to the software used by any other UpRev tuner with only one difference that we required. With our software the end user has the ability to upload our flash tune, datalog the performance of their car, pull and read trouble codes, everything that the Osiris/Cipher software can do. The only difference is that we needed the tune to be locked down and unable to be altered. This is mandated by CARB and our warranty provider. Obviously those states that comply with CARB regulations will not allow something to be considered emissions legal when such vital parameters can be so easily altered. To meet these requirements UpRev pulled out a software tool that they had developed for another company a couple of years ago but never went into production. At the time the software was not quite finalized but they worked hard to complete it and get it ready for our supercharger system.

We will have more updates as they become available but for now the most important thing to know is that there are only a couple of isolated issues and they represent a very small percentage of the total number of kits we’ve sold. We are working extremely hard to get these issues corrected and we are working directly with our customer’s to make sure their vehicle’s are safe and strong.

Thank you very much!
update from Kyle
Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jran76
Sorry for the thread jack, but here are a couple pics. I don't want to go into too many details, but I have had just about every reasonably priced ultra high performance tire known to mankind--at least 12 different sets, and do alignments every 3-6 months (or any time I change something....). The FK-452 were the worst. I agree, there was something wrong, but I had an alignment done at Cobb the day I put them on, and a few days after I replaced them. I was running Eibach springs with rear camber/toe kit. The specs weren't crazy (-1.5 camber, and 0.1/0.13 toe-- I had toe at 0.08 on the before alignment). Toe was out more than I would like, and that is what really eats tires, but not bad enough to chew through them in 4000 miles. Discount Tire was nice enough to give me a deal on my next set. No crazy burnouts, track sessions, and mostly highway driving....
What is the unit of measurement on your toe?

That wear is pretty obviously not from hard driving... It looks to be an aweful lot of scrubbing and a tad bit of camber.

If you have an alignment sheet, can you post it up?

4k miles is RIDICULOUS Even r-comps wouldn't go anywhere near that fast in street use..,
Old 08-13-2010, 03:39 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by Mike
What is the unit of measurement on your toe?

That wear is pretty obviously not from hard driving... It looks to be an aweful lot of scrubbing and a tad bit of camber.

If you have an alignment sheet, can you post it up?

4k miles is RIDICULOUS Even r-comps wouldn't go anywhere near that fast in street use..,
I'll see if I can find the alignment sheets from when the tires were new, and when I had them replaced.... I know I have them, but I am not sure where they are. I thought it was in degrees, but I am not 100% sure. I agree though, looks like scrubbing, and toe is really the only thing that could do that. I have averaged about 10k per set of rears in the past with similar alignment settings, so something was definitely off this go around.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:42 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
damn, those are gonna blow anytime lol.

seriously, don't get FK452's they look good and perform okay but they really wear funny.
I noticed the the tires were going bald about half way into a 1000 mile road trip, and had to drive home 350 miles with them like that. That is what they looked like when I got home. Needless, to say, it was a nerve racking 350 miles with lots of stopping and checking the tires.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:54 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
damn, those are gonna blow anytime lol.

seriously, don't get FK452's they look good and perform okay but they really wear funny.
I don't blame it on the tires. I think it could have been a toe-in problem. I just realigned and zeroed out the toe yesterday and my tires show no signs of wear with 1200 mile so far. I'm running -1.5° camber.

Last edited by GraphiteG37S; 08-13-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
jran76

Originally Posted by Kverdina
I don't blame it on the tires. I think it could have been a toe-in problem. I just realigned and zeroed out the toe yesterday and my tires show no signs of wear with 1200 mile so far. I'm running -1.5° camber.
You don't really want to 0 out the toe in the rear. It is a lot easier to handle the car at the extremes with a small amount of toe in (it reduces oversteer).

I have no doubt the toe was causing some scrubbing, but even regardless of the wear, I did not really like the tires. I thought they were middle of the pack in dry performance, and pretty poor in wet performance (although increased toe also degrades wet performance). I've had 3 sets of Falken's and I just don't think they make that great of a tire. Their RT-615 is supposed to be their best street high performance "dry" tire, and the Hankook Ventus V12 (which is more of a dry/wet all around tire) beat it in both dry test comparisons I have seen.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:30 PM
GraphiteG37S

^ you may be right. This is my first set of Falkens and my Hankooks when I had them were pretty worn down. I was told at the tire shop that the Falkens try to provide a softer ride as opposed to V12 without sacrificing handling. But if it's a softer ride, which I can notice it is, the compound is probably soft and prone to wear. I will just keep an eye on my alignment and toe and see how long I get out of them. I may have to try a set of V12s next brand new so I can see the difference. They did handle pretty good considering how bald they were. Lol
Old 08-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aw man, you guys spoiled my review thread! What's up with that?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 PM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Wei, any new vids/pics of your ride?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:13 AM
GraphiteG37S

It's not spoiled dude.. Just a side bar until you update us with some new info and pictures. Were keeping this thread alive.

Hey, did you get some tires yet or you still trying to get rid of the wheels?

What's up with the S/C? Any new updates?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:19 AM
TomieG

Originally Posted by Kverdina
It's not spoiled dude.. Just a side bar until you update us with some new info and pictures. Were keeping this thread alive.

Hey, did you get some tires yet or you still trying to get rid of the wheels?

What's up with the S/C? Any new updates?
Eric says hes used to the power now and its too slow! LOL
Old 08-14-2010, 01:22 AM
GraphiteG37S

That's just what happens. I used tithing my G was fast too. Now I don't know what happened.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:48 AM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
okay okay! i'll do a quick idle video tomorrow
Old 08-14-2010, 02:19 AM
GraphiteG37S

^ how about a burn out video?
Old 08-14-2010, 02:23 AM
TomieG

okay okay! i'll do a quick idle video tomorrow
Sweet! Just a suggestion. pop the hood and rev then maybe one of u just going through a couple of gears. Id love to hear this setup mated with your HKS exhaust.

Thanks Eric!

O yea and a couple of flybys wouldn't hurt either.

Quick Reply: Review Stillen Supercharger