Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Tanabe Medalion Review

Old 10-16-2016, 10:07 PM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Tanabe Medalion Review

I have seen a few reviews on the Tanabe Medalion and most of them are spot on, but I figured I would give my two cents on it. Here is some background, I am a 22 year old male with an otherwise bone stock G sedan that has 120,xxx miles on it. My previous vehicle was a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 that was essentially straight piped (for "loudness" reference)...

I ordered it from Auto Hance and paid $523.00 shipped from NY to Oklahoma, everything was perfectly packaged, welds were perfect, and shipped very timely. My G spent some time back home in Chicago so I had anticipated the bolts being a little tough to get off, but I sprayed them the night before with liquid wrench and again the morning of.

Installation took about 20 minutes and I was able to do the entire thing myself.. I have little mechanical experience and there are several good instructional videos for those of you who were/are in a similar boat but ultimately it is just four bolts and you are good to go.

I did have some fitment issues initially but I am pretty sure it was because the hangars were old, so initially one muffler was hanging about 1/4 of an inch lower but it was easily fixed by bending the hangar.

Sound.. this is what I was very curious about. The videos on the internet need to be taken with a grain of salt because (IMHO) they made it seem a little louder than it is. I did read that there was a break in period of 5-700 miles which I found to be 100% spot on. About a week after I installed the exhaust I had to drive back to Chicago which DID break the exhaust in. The sound did get louder after that. It is also kind of deceiving because it is louder from a drive by than it is in the car.

TL;DR

Ease of install: 10/10
Fitment: 9/10
Sound: 6/10

The best way I can describe the exhaust is that it is an "old mans exhaust"... meaning that you won't really hear it at low RPMs, but when you get on the throttle it will wake it up. Zero drone on the highway, but coming from a 22 year old male, it needs to be paired with HFC's or test pipes to really make it shine.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (10-16-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Very nice review man. Do you have any pictures?... If you want to get some more sound from them without spending a fortune, considering having a shop replacing your stock resonators. I gave it a shot at the recommendation of another forum member and it sounds amazing. Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...d-finally.html
Old 10-17-2016, 10:32 AM
James Harden
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Spot on review. I think we got our around the same time. Mine has definitely broken in and sounds really good when you have to step on it. Other than that, its just a hair above stock when you start-up, idle, and cruising speed. The appearance is nice too.

This is from this morning:

Old 10-17-2016, 11:16 AM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Nitro15
Very nice review man. Do you have any pictures?... If you want to get some more sound from them without spending a fortune, considering having a shop replacing your stock resonators. I gave it a shot at the recommendation of another forum member and it sounds amazing. Here's a link to the thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...d-finally.html
Absolutely, Ill attach pictures of it later today. I also really liked the sound of the shortened resonators and I will be in the market for a new "mod" within a month or so.. so if I decide to go that route Ill be sure to do before and after videos and a full write up.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:19 AM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Originally Posted by James Harden
Spot on review. I think we got our around the same time. Mine has definitely broken in and sounds really good when you have to step on it. Other than that, its just a hair above stock when you start-up, idle, and cruising speed. The appearance is nice too.

This is from this morning:

Looks good! I bought it (with plans to pair with RTP or HFC's) knowing it was going to be pretty quiet so I wasn't disappointed per say, but the only other exhaust I had ever heard on a G was a Stillen full CBE which obviously isn't a good comparison. I would absolutely buy it again though.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:28 AM
jabba_the_slut
Registered Member

Here are some pictures... car is a little dirty because I got back from a 750 mile road trip last night and haven't had the opportunity to clean it.. but you get the point.Tanabe Medalion Review-img_3409-1-.jpg

Tanabe Medalion Review-img_3411-1-.jpg

Tanabe Medalion Review-img_3413-1-.jpg

Tanabe Medalion Review-img_3414-1-.jpg

Tanabe Medalion Review-img_3415-1-.jpg

Tanabe Medalion Review-img_3417-1-.jpg
Old 10-17-2016, 11:47 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Nice write up. I have the Medalion as well and I knew it was going to be quiet. I bought it mostly for looks lol. Coming from a Motordyne exhaust on my G35 coupe I was actually glad to have a quieter exhaust, well-suited for the sedan. I may swap out the resonators for shorter ones in the future as well. If/when you guys go that route be sure to post up some comparison videos!
Old 10-17-2016, 12:15 PM
James Harden
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by the93owner
Nice write up. I have the Medalion as well and I knew it was going to be quiet. I bought it mostly for looks lol. Coming from a Motordyne exhaust on my G35 coupe I was actually glad to have a quieter exhaust, well-suited for the sedan. I may swap out the resonators for shorter ones in the future as well. If/when you guys go that route be sure to post up some comparison videos!
Yea, I will probably be doing the resonator swap sometime soon. Ive been in contact with a muffler shop about it.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:03 PM
Blkg35xs02909
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have mine on my car for a year and love it. I added the megan y pipe and shorter free flowing resonator that really gave the car a nice exhaust tone. Now the car have a sportier exhaust tone with out drone . I love it.

Last edited by Blkg35xs02909; 10-29-2016 at 09:37 AM.