Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Review Beluga Racing Resonated Test Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 04:40 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Beluga Racing Resonated Test Pipes

I've debated my options for test pipes for quite some time now. I bounced between Motordyne, ARK, Berk, Fast Intentions, and OBX. Upon researching, I stumbled upon Beluga Racing who make a popular cat/axle-back for the G/Z coupes. They have nothing but positive reviews on the370z.com and this board. I checked out their website to see if they had any products for the sedan to find the resonated test pipe they carry. There has been rumors floating that they use the same manufacturer as Top Speed which I cannot confirm. But, Top Speed and Beluga are in the same DFW (Dallas Fort Worth) area. So, take it as you will. Here is the link to the pipes for those interested.

A pic from their website:
Beluga Racing Resonated Test Pipes-dmbywjl.jpg

I talked to a few forum members over on the370z.com about their experience with the pipes and all had positive things to say about fitment and the durability of the pipes. However, a couple mentioned that the pipes triggered a CEL and the included gaskets are trash. One member noted they have been using Blox 02 spacers and hasn't encountered a CEL. For $15, I thought, why not? And, the gaskets I didn't care about because I planned on using the Z1 metal 3 bolt gaskets for the header/test pipe merge. So many users complained with other HFC's/test pipes about leaks in that area. The Z1 metal costs about $40 but supposedly eliminates leaks in that high heat area. I placed the order on a Monday night and received the TP's Wednesday afternoon . The packaging was great, and to my un-trained eye..the welds looked good. I scheduled the installation the next week because I did not want to tackle it myself.

I did not install the test pipes but the installer mentioned they had 0 issues with the fitment. He had them done within an hour. I can't see a reason why they wouldn't fit on an automatic car, I am 6MT. Once I hopped into my car and fired her up. Right away, I could note the different tone in the exhaust. The invidia Q300 catback I have is very very quiet. But, the test pipes really woke the exhaust up in the upper RPM range. It's still however, a little too quiet for me. Performance wise, I was very pleased but that's already been talked about with other test pipes. The low/mid-range is fantastic. As far as rasp goes, I cannot hear any from inside the car. I will wait till I fix an exhaust leak I have at my X pipe before I take a wide open throttle video. I have 400 + miles on the test pipes and no CEL has been triggered; I am untuned at this point.

Edit 1: CEL triggered after 700 miles or so. I purchased Vibrant J Style 02 bungs to see if that helps. I will update the thread if it goes away.

Last edited by MaQG37; 03-15-2016 at 04:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 11:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice initial review, look forward to follow ups and the sound clips. Thanks for adding your review thread!
Old 04-08-2016, 03:42 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
is there anything new to report? I'm looking at the same test pipes for my sedan to pair with my ark grip exhaust. any info would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by conkus805
is there anything new to report? I'm looking at the same test pipes for my sedan to pair with my ark grip exhaust. any info would be appreciated.
I bought them from him, about to leave great feedback btw.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:59 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by conkus805
CEL came and went. Everything else about my review stayed the same. For the ARK, I would do your best if the budget allows to get a 2.5'' res test pipe instead. Kris measured the ID of the beluga and it was 2.3 something. If I recall, the ARK is a 2.5'' CBE throughout.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Update: Not my thread but they are my pipes now lol..

I installed them in an afternoon and have to say, all the hype about the install psyched me out for months but this was one of the easier mods I've done to a car. The CEL did come on almost instantly even after resetting the ECU. I put about 1k miles on them and then drove to Kansas City and back and got 414 miles from full to empty, I can contest they have no ill effect on gas mileage. No noticeable drone at cruising speeds unless I had it in the throttle up a hill or something. Unfortunately, on automatic transmissions the o2 sensors are only about an inch or so away from the trans pan and any extender without an immediate bend will not fit without some major rattling/vibrations. There are some extender options on eBay I'm looking at and I'm sure that will alleviate the CEL and will bend before the transmission. I'll report back here when I get them. My only complaint is there is a bit of rasp at random RPM's but I'm fairly certain its more related to my Top Speed downpipe mating to the stock mid pipe. I'm ordering a Megan resonated mid pipe soon and then we shall see.

Overall, I'm VERY happy! They really opened up the car and I felt an obvious jump in acceleration but mostly at higher RPM's. It just keeps pulling and each shift has a bit more of an obvious push back in the seat. LOVE THEM.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:55 PM
NZTY_VQ
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does this fit a 2013 infiniti g37 sedan?
Old 11-20-2016, 09:49 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by NZTY_VQ
Does this fit a 2013 infiniti g37 sedan?
They will but will probably throw a CEL code without doing any 02 port mods.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Mr Nurner

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
They will but will probably throw a CEL code without doing any 02 port mods.
What about a tune, a lot of what I've read indicates that getting tuned gets rid of the cel? I'm likely going to ordering these (top speed version) from concept z here today.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:38 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mr Nurner
What about a tune, a lot of what I've read indicates that getting tuned gets rid of the cel? I'm likely going to ordering these (top speed version) from concept z here today.
UpRev and ECUTek can disable the CEL caused by the test pipes. That applies to any HFC/Test pipe. My Fast Intentions/Motordyne test pipes didn't throw the code. My beluga's did eventually.
The following users liked this post:
Brooklyn (01-26-2020)