Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

NEW Supercharger kit, NOT Stillen

Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
NEW Supercharger kit, NOT Stillen

I know there are a few of us who peruse the370z.com but for those who don't, a new kit is in the works and it uses a positive displacement whipple/roots-type blower that sits in the valley of the VQ.

There's one caveat; the entire package, with integrated intercooler, is tall enough it won't fit under the stock Z hood. As such, they're making an aftermarket hood to go with the kit. Making one for the G would also be possible but there'd have to be enough interest.

Here's the thread, don't bother voting as they've already settled on the kit and are working on 3D-printed prototypes now.

RJ MFG Supercharger kit Feeler... - Nissan 370Z Forum
The following users liked this post:
4doorfury (02-14-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:52 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Half tempted to buy another G just to build using a SC after reading that. I guess the main thing would be seeing what kind of hood are we talking about...I mean, will we look like Vin Deez from the first FF if we go this route?

Read through a little bit and saw your comment about the hood bump. I'd be accepting of that. Maybe something like the 1st gen Mazda3 vs Mazdaspeed 3? Only way to really tell them apart was the middle of the hood had slight accents to make way for the top mounted IC.

Last edited by RMB5190; 02-15-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:29 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
It'd have to be some sort of power bulge like the M3/4 honestly. I've done vented hoods on a daily driver and they do tend to make a huge mess of things in bad weather as well as promote corrosion everywhere in your engine bay.

I'm not sure what the total height above the hood line will be but I don't think it's much. It's just really too bad it won't fit below the hood line. I'd consider keeping my current car longer and spending some coin on the kit and a transmission upgrade if it did. It really looks that interesting.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:21 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
First thing I thought of when googling M3 power bulge was that the car looked like it was rocking a half chub . I'm not trying to see vents honestly.

I'm really in the same boat as yourself. Debated the SC set up, even Stillen, but it comes down to cost to get this car where I want it vs buying a new car outright. Plus, mine sits at 37K miles and is my DD. By the time I'm able to do this, it would be next year sometime. By that point, I'm at 50K miles. Do I really want to boost a 50K mile DD? One part of me says, and?...why not?. The other says to do simple mods, save up and get something fresh. It's a struggle.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:25 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
how about dropping or fabricating a subframe for clearance...
Old 02-16-2017, 09:40 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
^^^

I was thinking along those lines. I have z1 mounts which allow for some adjustments in height. Currently in the thread they say 1.5 inches taller than their gt-r conversation. I was wondering if stripping out the sound deading, cutting the reinforced areas were the SC would sit in, and dropping the engine down would be enough to not go weird hood route.

Since they made that poll I was all over it hopeing it would happen. I dont want to go TT so settled on a money pit N/A build but would be all over a positive displacement SC. I would rock a weird hood if required, though I fear speading way more then I want too on it. There isn't many photoshop mock ups I looked at so far that I liked. Even went as far as to see if the 69' mach 1 scoop would look okay on our hood. I think, with this, the Z is a sports car and the few that are more go than show will do what they need for this. The G is a lux aport. The owners typically value ascetics more thus I think more thought will need to be in the hood. All of that, is of course, my opinion but I think its a fair one.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:53 AM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
50k miles and going boosted wouldn't worry me at all. I ran about 28psi on my mazdaspeed3 for roughly 80k miles and the car was still running fine when I traded it in. And I wasn't nice to it. These vq motors are durable.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:23 AM
zer099
Premier Member

I was looking around a lot last night and something similar to the new STi hoods might not look bad for our cars.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:14 PM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
Bump!!!!!! What's the latest and greatest info on what's going on with this?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:49 PM
zer099
Premier Member

$9,999 for Stage 1. Will need a new hood or your hood fabricated. Pretty much turn key at that price, but will need to get a custom tune for best numbers. Can be a DIY project with no crazy tools or lift needed. Auto tranny peeps will most likely need to upgrade their trannies due to the low down torque this will be make. That's all in theory other than the price which is all that's been set down so far. They do not wish to even start pre-sales until they have numbers and some test time on the unit for QA purposes; and I respect that. I'm pretty excited still with the product, just mildly disappointed that what started as a "much better price point then the turbo alternative" turned into $5 more then one of the more reputable TT products on the market. That said, if made to work it will be an awesome product for what it does I think and will not disappoint.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
probably a good deal more than the five bucks more considering the hood...
and whatever else supporting mods you may need that is not included or lacking on the kit..
since its still in QA mode.. at least the turbos has gone through the ringers and you already know what youre getting..

Search this Thread