Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Coolant Leak - Where's this location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle
if you are replacing the heater bypass hose it would mean losing quite a significant amount of coolant especially coming out of the heater core. you would definetely need to bleed it if you don't want excess air in the cooling sys causing idling issues or the noise of coolant sloshing around coming from your dash as you make left and right turns.
Yes, I was afraid of that & not sure if some pre-req stuff needs done before replacing leak hose. I ran into this DIY therefore I asked. Interesting DIY I may say

Nissan 370Z: Eliminating hot coolant heater hoses on both throttle bodies - Nissan 370Z Forum
Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I wouldn't bother bleeding the system. I have disconnected water hoses from multiple locations, without bleeding the system afterward. Never had an issue, YMMV.

Also I don't know what year is your car, but most likely the hose is not the problem. It's the clamp that's losing tension. So all you really need is to put new clamps on.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:34 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Originally Posted by antirice
I wouldn't bother bleeding the system. I have disconnected water hoses from multiple locations, without bleeding the system afterward. Never had an issue, YMMV.

Also I don't know what year is your car, but most likely the hose is not the problem. It's the clamp that's losing tension. So all you really need is to put new clamps on.
2010 G37 sedan. Coolant drain & fill done bout 11k ago in 9/2015.

I'm thinking if coolant comes out then bleeding is needed but if not then no bleed.

I'm gonna just change the whole hose. Website has it for bout $8 so hopefully dealership is bout same.

Keep the input coming. Appreciate all
Old 01-12-2017, 11:49 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Upon further inspection.. It looks like it's leaking from back of engine too . Looks like it is the hose going to the left throttle (passenger). This one might b a little tougher to get to.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:05 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tite_tite
Upon further inspection.. It looks like it's leaking from back of engine too . Looks like it is the hose going to the left throttle (passenger). This one might b a little tougher to get to.
I was able to changed the leaked hose by driver side throttle. Please see below post for advice on sand paper I need.

Now to back of engine. Is the hose leaking or are those residue from the throttle body leak hose. I zoomed in & doesn't looked to be leaking. Prob need to wiped clean & monitor. Pic 5, is that the plastic coupler?
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-hose-1.jpg   Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-hose-2.jpg   Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-hose-3.jpg   Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-hose-4.jpg   Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-coupler.jpg  

Last edited by tite_tite; 01-15-2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:34 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

I was able to changed the leaked hose by driver side throttle. Please see below post for advice on sand paper I need.

which sand paper is recomended for cleaning the pipe.. there is some rust/corrosion from the leak coolant. i tried a razor blade but it is not cleaned all the way & afraid it may leak and/or seep. thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-hose-6.png  
Old 01-15-2017, 01:45 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
which sand paper is recomended for cleaning the pipe.. there is some rust/corrosion from the leak coolant. i tried a razor blade but it is not cleaned all the way & afraid it may leak and/or seep. thanks in advance.

pic5 is not a coupler. that is just a holder that keeps the hose in its place. as far as sandpaper i would suggest using steel wool and spraying it with some good lubricant and use that to clean off the rust. then put a little dielectric grease inside the hose so when you slip it on to the throttle body coolant pipe it will not only help the hose slip on easier but prevent corrosion from building up again.
The following users liked this post:
tite_tite (01-15-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Dang it.. It's leaking from back not as bad as the leaked hose replaced. Maybe the clamp cuz it's is only leaking from back but not front. Will most likely change hose & clamp. Hope all goes well.

NOTE: not much coolant came out when leaked hose was replaced so didn't bleed. Will see how I feel after hose replace (back) before bleeding.. Lol
Old 01-27-2017, 09:22 PM
RJ's_G37
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Was searching through threads so hopefully you guys can help me out..about a month back i noticed a leak,it was the tope hose and the oem clamp was fried so i replaced it and filled my coolant tank..last week i noticed the smell coming back and was able to take pictures..if you guys can help me out id appreciate it
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-20170127_162710.jpg   Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-20170127_162537.jpg   Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-20170127_162941.jpg   Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-20170127_162952.jpg   Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-20170127_162258_hdr.jpg  

Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-20170127_162701_hdr.jpg  
Old 01-30-2017, 02:48 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

take the engine cover off & take pics w/ lights or outside during the day.. that way we can see better..
Old 02-03-2017, 12:01 AM
bransja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HA! I just bought my 2012 with 46k and that is the exact location mine is coming from!! dealer tried to tell me we needed to pull motor and replace rear intake and gaskets...
Old 02-07-2017, 12:25 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Dang it.. It's leaking from back not as bad as the leaked hose replaced. Maybe the clamp cuz it's is only leaking from back but not front. Will most likely change hose & clamp. Hope all goes well.
changed the hose but my forearm(s) all scratched up.. boy it is pretty tight back there.

i highly recommend you use/get this tool for removing/installing clamp for hose. that little guy will do good!!
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-g37-vise-grip.png  
Old 02-07-2017, 07:43 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Additional pics. Hope this will help the next person. Will update further if leak continue to leak... finger crossed & hope not

pic 1 - hose & part number(s)
pic 2 - the little sucka in the back
pic 3 - ideal position for flashlight. light can be had for FREE at harbor freight. rubber band is VERY important cuz it fell a couple of times + it was stuck on the frame/wire/something..
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-hose-parts.jpg   Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-hose-sucker.jpg   Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-hose-light.jpg  

Last edited by tite_tite; 02-07-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:01 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Help Needed. Can you tell me if this is push in all the way or i need to push the hose further in? it's the hose from the back to the throttle (passenger side). Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak - Where's this location?-hose-throttle.jpg  
Old 02-08-2017, 12:30 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Help Needed. Can you tell me if this is push in all the way or i need to push the hose further in? it's the hose from the back to the throttle (passenger side). Thanks in advance.

looks like its seated properly.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak - Where's this location?