Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

OBD Scanner/Dongle Q&A Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:46 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Yeah I can't use torque because it's Android only...

you can get a new 7" Android tablet for less than $50.

you aren't going to be able to do HD movie editing on it, but should handle Torque just fine.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:34 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
That might be doable, I had thought about purchasing a used Android phone too. Will look into it!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:14 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

That might be doable, I had thought about purchasing a used Android phone too. Will look into it!
you'd probably want a larger screen - too hard to read gauges on a tiny phone, and the older Galaxy Notes are still ~$100 used.

less than $35!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Voyag...&wl13=&veh=sem
The following users liked this post:
RadioFlyer (12-31-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Just realized, I'll need a new OBD dongle as well. Doesn't look like the LE Link is supported. Grr.

I'm just going to hope my ECUTek cable shows up and log with that. I don't need a third operating system, LOL.

Last edited by Ape Factory; 12-28-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:40 AM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
you'd probably want a larger screen - too hard to read gauges on a tiny phone, and the older Galaxy Notes are still ~$100 used.

less than $35!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Voyag...&wl13=&veh=sem

^That's awesome! Forgive my Android ignorance, but would that run Torque and sync with a cheap ELM BT OBD2 transmitter? I ask because a lot of iPhone apps aren't available on an iPad.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 12-31-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:34 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Unfortunately, the bluetooth OBD devices that work with torque are all on the expensive side. There are lots of guys on the 370z forum who are using an Android tablet and affixing them to the cubby hole spot in the Z where we have our nav screens in the G.

Here's a list:
https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters
Old 12-31-2016, 11:07 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Unfortunately, the bluetooth OBD devices that work with torque are all on the expensive side.

mine was $6.

if you get one, get one that is "low-profile" so you don't smash your knee into it. mine also has a power button on it, which is nice.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/V1-5...6-2386bec1d31d
Old 12-31-2016, 11:09 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I was going by their list of devices in that link. None of them were anywhere close to $6!
No connectivity or logging issues? Fast sample rate?
Old 12-31-2016, 01:41 PM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Yeah, it's the sample rate that I'd be after. I thought BT would be better. I currently run an ELM OBD2 Wi-Fi transmitter running Dash Command, but the latency and lack of oil temp is a little annoying. I'd give this Android tablet/Torque/BT a try if it was cheap. The other thought would be to run that setup, and connect it to the center screen via RCA inputs under the armrest. It's complicated to stack adapters from an iPhone to RCA. Would that work for these cheap Android tablets?
Old 12-31-2016, 01:56 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I'd take a hard look at the ECU Connect by ECUTek. Works with Mac products and it logs everything. The GTR version even codes tire pressure monitors. I know they're going to be adding new features and they're working on ROM flash via Bluetooth. I think eventually it'll replace the cable/laptop setup altogether. Cost of entry isn't cheap though but within spitting distance of. Name brand supported OBD Bluetooth adapter and. Name brand android tablet. If I wasn't already planning on a tune, I'd be ok over it.
The following users liked this post:
Lt8Che (01-14-2017)
Old 12-31-2016, 07:53 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
That $35 tablet should be able to run torque no problem. I can confirm I have a 4ish year old $3 OBD dongle I bought off eBay and it works with torque fine on my G.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:39 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I have an elm327 v1.5 which costs $8 including shipping 4 years ago. Sample rate is very low but I get all the parameters including oil temp using torque and the Nissan plugin.

Does anyone know if the newer elm327 v2.1 will be faster sample rates? They are dirt cheap (around $4) so il try one out as well.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:51 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

I was going by their list of devices in that link. None of them were anywhere close to $6!
No connectivity or logging issues? Fast sample rate?

no connectivity issues. i don't log, so i don't know - it connects to Torque and functions properly, so i don't see why Torque couldn't log the data.

i don't know what the sample rate is, but the "analog" gauges display smoothly, and for displaying the info i'm looking for i don't think it really matters whether its sampling in microseconds or milliseconds.

FWIW, the paid version of Torque is FAR beyond the free version, but use the free version to make sure your setup works ...
Old 01-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Basically when you log, you can pick various parameters to record or log to your phone, usually as a .CSV file. When you look at the data, there's often a time stamp so you can see how many samples per second are being recorded. I can get about four with my current setup but that's not enough resolution for my liking. I'd honestly like to double it.

For gauges, I'm sure it's just fine but I want to be able to look at the data after a logging session.

I may order one of the cheapo Android tabs and just try it with the free version. I guess I could always send it back if it doesn't work with my BT dongle. Going to wait til I get the ECU crack back from ECUTek first though.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:10 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Basically when you log, you can pick various parameters to record or log to your phone, usually as a .CSV file. When you look at the data, there's often a time stamp so you can see how many samples per second are being recorded. I can get about four with my current setup but that's not enough resolution for my liking. I'd honestly like to double it.
i understand it, i just have no need to do it.

I may order one of the cheapo Android tabs and just try it with the free version. I guess I could always send it back if it doesn't work with my BT dongle.
shoudn't have a problem with returns if you get it at Walmart - i returned a Windows tablet there not too long ago (because my wife didn't like it) without issue.