Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:43 AM
smitty37g

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
engine noise

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

I have this thumping noise in the engine. I was wondering is this the noise that people where talking about? If not, i guess i need to get it checked. I do not mean the typewriter sound.
Thanks

Old 12-08-2016, 07:17 AM
smitty37g

anyone????
Also it does not always do it?? some days, quiet as a mouse.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:56 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
The chugging noise is related to the VVEL tick. You can find many threads here and on other forums. The dealership TSB "fix" was a reset of the ECU and a Nissan ester oil change. I've been using the Nissan ester oil and the noise has only come back a few times in 55K plus miles. There is no publicly known mechanical fix for it.

The major downside is that the Nissan ester oil costs about $12-13 a quart. I was considering switching to Redline synthetic which is an ester based oil, but thought why change something that is working fine for me to save a few bucks a quart. I also do all my own maintenance and repairs so I save a few bucks there. Check out "The Definitive Oil Thread" (linked below). The ester oil is the second most used oil in the G in the survey, probably related to the VVEL tick.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...il-thread.html

If you decide to use the ester oil, use dealership 10-20 percent off coupons and look for dealership ester oil deals on Ebay if you do your own oil changes. Also check with the dealership and find out if the ECU reset and ester oil change was ever done on your G, assuming you are not the original owner.

UCLAg37
Old 12-08-2016, 01:50 PM
jpg37
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the fuel injection pressure damper.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jpg37
Sounds like the fuel injection pressure damper.
nope... the definitely the VVEL tick. Nissan ester oil will fix that.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:29 PM
smitty37g

well, i know the ticking or typewriter sound was probably either the VVEL or the fuel injectors. But can you hear that thumping sound?? almost like a soft rod knock.

Well, the Napa store near me keeps ENEOS oil in-stock and it is ester based. So next oil change I will be using that. I have been using Valvoline full Syn.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Paul Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it only happens at idle check around the air box and wiper fluid reservoir. I had some nasty rattling there once that prying things around with a screwdriver fixed for good
Old 12-10-2016, 03:31 PM
smitty37g

Well the noise isnt coming from the air box area, more under the throttle bodies area, but coming from the engine. On the video u can see i started near the drivers throttle body. Also I removed the air boxes to remove the tubes that face down.

It doesnt do it everyday, so its strange.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:29 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Is there an ester additive that can be used with non-ester-based oils?
Old 12-10-2016, 08:28 PM
smitty37g

Originally Posted by Selym

Not sure, but I only have 1200 miles to my next oil change.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
anyone try dumping a 1/3 bottle of Seafoam in the oil to quiet the noise?

i also have the "typewriter noise", and i have a bottle of Seafoam sitting in the garage.

supposedly you dump it in, and drive it for ~500 miles, then change the oil. i've used it in vacuum lines and the gas tank on other cars, but never in the oil ...
Old 12-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
anyone try dumping a 1/3 bottle of Seafoam in the oil to quiet the noise?

i also have the "typewriter noise", and i have a bottle of Seafoam sitting in the garage.

supposedly you dump it in, and drive it for ~500 miles, then change the oil. i've used it in vacuum lines and the gas tank on other cars, but never in the oil ...
That will make things worse as seafoam thins your oil and reduces its ability to lubricate. This isn't valvetrain noise caused by dirty sticky lifters (what seafoam is supposed to clean), it's noise from an awfully complicated valvetrain working as it should. Some oils dampen this noise more than others
Old 12-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Selym
Lubegard Bio/Tech oil treatment is basically a dose a bio-esters and soluble moly. That should do the trick if you are desperate to quiet things up until your next oil change. Better to use a correctly formulated oil in the future, however. Nissan ester oil is a choice, albeit overpriced considering its just a conventional oil with an additive package. Many other conventional and synthetic oils also use ester-based additives, so you do not really need to spend lots of money on synthetic that is ester-based like redline or motul.

If it were me (if you change your own oil), I'd stop into walmart, pick up a 5qt jug of 3 different major brands of 5w30 synthetic (usually $20-25 each) and try them. Put the first one in and see if things are quieter. If so, you found a good formulation for your car, return the others or experiment with them as well. If it's still a racket after you drive it around a bit, drai it and try the next oil. High milage oils might also be a good option as esters help oil cling to metal so additives containing them are frequently used to help slow consumption.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
i wonder if Infiniti would put the Ester oil in if i complain about the noise?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:23 AM
smitty37g

Well, I have been using Valvoline full syn, but not sure what the PO used?? I am going to try the Eneos oil next oil change... The noise bothers me only cause it sounds like a light rod knock... but the car performs fine and still has good gas mileage.